Still No Blu-Ray Drive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was really hoping the MacPro would have a Blu-Ray drive, at least as an option.

Whatever happened to the "Year of High Definition?" I still can't burn high definition videos created in Final Cut Express HD to DVD using a Mac. What's the use of the software if there is no hardware to transfer it to?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Um....

maybe because no manufacturer yet makes an OEM drive, because the drives on the market are ridiculously overpriced for a device that's just slightly more complicated than a DVD player, and the only company to include it in a computer is Sony, who invented the drive and gets them at cost (ie, $10) rather than wholesale (ie, $400)?

That's probably why.

Also, the year of HD was last year.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Also, I'd rather not pay $300+ for an optical drive that has a 50/50 chance of being absolutely obsolete for the rest of eternity based on how the format wars end.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Ummm.....I know that the Year of High Def was last year.....whatever happened to it?

And Sony is not the only provider of Blu-Ray machines.......Toshiba offers as well.

And....ummm.....I'll gladly pay $400 for the damn drive.....ummm....I can afford it. My post asked why it wasn't offered as an option, not standard equipment.

Get your facts straight, smart ass.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I also pointed out that neither Sony and Toshiba are offering it yet as an OEM.

I believe they're all going into PS3's.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomster1300

And Sony is not the only provider of Blu-Ray machines.......Toshiba offers as well.

And....ummm.....I'll gladly pay $400 for the damn drive.....ummm....I can afford it. My post asked why it wasn't offered as an option, not standard equipment.

Toshiba doesn't make Blu-ray machines, Toshiba makes HD-DVD machines! Toshiba is in the HD-DVD camp.

Besides, there is nothing stopping you from buying a third-party drive and installing it yourself in the second optical drive bay. Apple can't provide you with ALL your computer hardware needs. That's what third party vendors are for.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard

Toshiba doesn't make Blu-ray machines, Toshiba makes HD-DVD machines! Toshiba is in the HD-DVD camp.

Besides, there is nothing stopping you from buying a third-party drive and installing it yourself in the second optical drive bay. Apple can't provide you with ALL your computer hardware needs. That's what third party vendors are for.

Correct.....Toshiba offers HD-DVD laptops. HP, on the other hand, offers the choice of either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD with their machines.

So yes, Apple can and should offer me ALL my computer hardware needs. Especially since they trotted out a big shot from Sony last year to show off the wonders of High Def. More so because they offer terrific HD movie software but you can only view it via the computer it resides on. My man Jobs wanted to be at the forefront of high definition last year but not a peep about it this year.

The MacPro I configured costs about $6,500. I won't buy though until Apple gives me a High Def burning option. As a shareholder, I'd rather give my money to Apple than to a third party vendor.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Ummm.....I know that the Year of High Def was last year.....whatever happened to it?

I think I saw something on macnn a week or two ago that some manufacturer in offering a blue-ray drive you can stick in a powermac (and I assume the mac pro).

It's out there, you can get it. I don't see any point in apple offering such a thing yet, though. If you want it so bad, buy it and slap it in there. I'm sure that would be cheaper than whatever apple would charge to BTO it anyways.

I'm sure all the other apple shareholders out there woukd rather you just stop your whining, buy the mac pro and get a third party drive.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Persaonally I think we'll see Apple offer both platforms as a BTO option next spring. Right now they need authoring tools or at the least just support for writing data discs. It's coming this holiday season will be huge for both platforms with movie and euro launches.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    you want a blue ray drive?

why? what are you going to do with it?

because without the proper software support, it's not gonna do a damn thing for you.

do you perhaps think that's why apple doesn't offer it as an option yet? because the software side isn't done yet?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pesi

you want a blue ray drive?

why? what are you going to do with it?

because without the proper software support, it's not gonna do a damn thing for you.

do you perhaps think that's why apple doesn't offer it as an option yet? because the software side isn't done yet?

There is a good chance at that, but also, Ricoh is making a drive that can read, and eventually write both formats, and IMO that will be the drive Apple uses until one of two throws in the towel, and I don't think that will ever happen. Lets face it - they are both good formats. Both Blu Ray, and HD-DVD use a Blue Laser so writing to a particular format is probably going to be done by one laser for both that will make a signal adjustment once it recognizes which type of disk you have inserted. I also think they are ging to look out for a drive that also has a red laser so it can still write regular DVD. But I don't see why a blue laser couldn't write a regular DVD if the signal strength was self configurable. Although I don't know much about the formats, but I heard they could still write a regular DVD.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Correct.....Toshiba offers HD-DVD laptops. HP, on the other hand, offers the choice of either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD with their machines.

So yes, Apple can and should offer me ALL my computer hardware needs. Especially since they trotted out a big shot from Sony last year to show off the wonders of High Def. More so because they offer terrific HD movie software but you can only view it via the computer it resides on. My man Jobs wanted to be at the forefront of high definition last year but not a peep about it this year.

The MacPro I configured costs about $6,500. I won't buy though until Apple gives me a High Def burning option. As a shareholder, I'd rather give my money to Apple than to a third party vendor.

Yeah, and I want Apple to configure me a coffee maker in with my Mac Pro too. I mean, dammit, if they can't offer me ALL my computer hardware needs then screw them. I'll buy a Dell.

Sheesh. Are you that afraid of a screwdriver?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    you do know that every media format that sony has created went off the deep end right? umd? that pesk little mini disk along with the mini disk players? so it would be a very very wasted investment on yours or any one elses part
  • Reply 13 of 21
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    blu-ray schmu-ray.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the kid 05

you do know that every media format that sony has created went off the deep end right? umd? that pesk little mini disk along with the mini disk players? so it would be a very very wasted investment on yours or any one elses part

Blu-ray isn't a Sony only format, and they were also heavily involved in the CD.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    The Ricoh lasers can (at the moment anyway) only READ both formats. WRITE to both is a ways off as yet. The holy grail of this HD DVD war will be the first manufacturer to bring a truely compatible dual format writable drive to market at a reasonable price. If Apple wants to keep on top of things then they most likely will include such a drive as a BTO option if and when they become available.

I remember getting my Mac with the all new -R Superdrive and thought "Wow! Imagine being able to burn your very own DVDs!". I had to fork out plenty of $$$ for the privilege and it was worth it (for a while) until I discovered there were other types of media that I could not read never mind write to (DVD+R/RW/DVD-RW/DVDRAM). Sure, those were maybe the limitations of the day though if I could have had the option of an all singing/all dancing multi format drive at the time then I certainly would have paid even more $$$s for that.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Plextor has blu-ray internal drive coming out in september i think
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL

Blu-ray isn't a Sony only format, and they were also heavily involved in the CD.

they are the creator no? and the cd's were made by phillips
  • Reply 18 of 21
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

I don't understand. Why are you willing to buy it from apple and no one else? You want to give them 6.5k but not unless it costs you an extra 400? I think a 6.5k sale is enough to make anyone at apple happy.

What's your strategy for everything else? Only buy what apple makes?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Also, the year of HD was last year.

Ok that's so good it's in my sig now.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the kid 05

they are the creator no? and the cd's were made by phillips

Blu-ray was started by Sony but the format contains technology from other companies as well.

The Compact Disc format was a joint development by Philips and Sony.