Apple launches "Summer of Music" in Japan

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Wednesday launched the "Summer of Music" in Japan , offering free music from iTunes, collectible iTunes Cards and exclusive live performances at Apple Retail Stores.

"All summer long, iTunes is offering free music, music videos and collectible iTunes Cards featuring free downloads from the hottest artists in Japan, including Ken Ishii, Simon Le Bon, Hifana, and the world premiere of a brand new video from Beck," the company said.

Music fans at Summer Sonic will receive collectible iTunes Cards with free music downloads on August 12 in Tokyo and on August 13 in Osaka. Apple?s seven Retail Stores in Japan are holding in-store performances with favorite local and international artists, including upcoming performances by PE?Z and She Wants Revenge.

"The iTunes Music Store in Japan has been embraced by artists and music fans alike and now features a catalog of over two million songs," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of iTunes. "We?re thrilled to launch the ?Summer of Music? in Japan with free music from iTunes, Japan?s number one online music store, and exclusive Apple Retail Store performances."

The Summer Sonic iTunes Cards give three free songs of the user?s choice from the iTunes Music Store, and also feature free downloads from Spank Rock, PE?Z, Amusement Park on Fire and Maximum The Hormone.

"Apple Retail Stores have become popular venues for artists such as Akiko Yano, ZAZEN BOYS, Yukihiro Takahashi, m-flo, Mihimaru GT and Karia Nomoto with Yasuharu Konishi to support their local fans and promote new music via live performances," Apple said.

This summer fans can expect store performances from artists including Ko Kimura, K Dub Shine, Daishi Dance, Gomes the Hitman and DMBQ. Apple Retail Stores are located in Tokyo?s Ginza and Shibuya districts, Osaka, Sendai, Fukuoka, Nagoya Sakae and the newest store in Sapporo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Mmm.. Sapporo. I could go for one now.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Mmmm... free downloads. Crunchy.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Gotta love a good promo to kick start a poorly market. Shame it's not quite feasible to grab enough free musical loot to cover the price of a fare to sweet Nihon...

Note to self: contrive means to get paid to go to Japan sometime. Ah, wait, in a few months I'll be able to make that a system wide to-do in Leopard. Wow, that'll make me have to do it!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The Tokyo Ginza Apple Store has a theatre in it, on the third or fourth floor. I think that would be a great place to hold these live performances. I really should go back there and visit the store again; it's great.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    All this is great, but why aren't they doing anything in the US? the last iTunes promo they did was with pepsi, and that was a long time ago. With all the suff they're doing in Europe and Asia, you'd think they forgot america.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannyboy12

All this is great, but why aren't they doing anything in the US? the last iTunes promo they did was with pepsi, and that was a long time ago. With all the suff they're doing in Europe and Asia, you'd think they forgot america.

Maybe they think the US market is established enough.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    They KNOW the US is established enough. Good business says: "you don't give free stuff to those willing to pay".