10.2.2 Supports Pioneer 4x DVR-105 SuperDrive On Sale Nov.25 for $249 RAW

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
11.14.02 Update: 10.2.2 Supports the Pioneer 4x DVR-105 drive. So we're good to go as soon as they get that boat unloaded.

10.17.02 Update: Pioneer USA finally pulled the trigger today in announcing the Quad Speed DVR-A05/105 SuperDrive which goes on sale in America November 5th for $299 list in the retail box. That means it's going to cost far less than the previous A04/104 2X speed model that is in today's Macs. The RAW OEM drive is likely to sell for no more than about $250 to begin with. This is great news for those who will simply want to replace their existing SuperDrive with the faster one. Here's the press release:

<a href="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CompanyOverview/PressDetails/0,1479,92309,00.html"; target="_blank">http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CompanyOverview/PressDetails/0,1479,92309,00.html</a>;

All over the Russian, Japaneese, German and Dutch websites for a week already and those bozos in Long Beach think they can sit on it for a month! Outrageous!

Well I gave them a chance and they refused to cooperate. So I'm not cooperating either. Here:

Pioneer has announced its succesor to the A04 the A05.

It will be in stores by November. Let's hope we see it in PM soon!

quote:

Pioneer Japan announced today the long awaited DVR-A05 DVD-R/RW recorder. This is the first DVD recorder that supports 4X writing with new highspeed DVD-R media and 2X re-writing with highspeed DVD-RW media. More over, new media supporting 4X DVD-R and 2X DVD-RW with the Pioneer brand announced...

Moreover the drive supports

- 2MB Buffer

- 4X, 2X, 1X DVD-R writing

- 2X, 1X DVD-RW writing

- 16X, 12X, 8X, 4X CD-R writing

- 8X, 4X CD-RW re-writing,

Reading specs (max):

- DVD-ROM (1 layer disc): 12X

- DVD-ROM (2 layer disc): 8X

- DVD-R (4X certified): 6X

- DVD-R (other than 4X): 2X

- DVD-RW (2X): 6X

- DVD-RW (1X): 2X

- CD-ROM: 32X

- Audio CD: 10X

- VideoCD: 4X

Interface: ATAPI Ultra DMA Mode2

From Pioneer USA PR in Long Beach CA today September 30, 2002

"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

The information about the new drive is not being released in the USA until the end of October."

So there you have it. It came in through the back door. Pioneer USA wants to keep it a secret until they can finish selling all the obsolete inventory they and their resellers have on the shelves. Buyer be Aware!

Don't buy any more OBSOLETE Pioneer A04 SuperDrives unless you want to get a close-out deal for $99 or such.

Links:

<a href="http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/23562"; target="_blank">http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/23562</a>;

They offer a link to cdrinfo.com

<a href="http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=2787"; target="_blank">http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=2787</a>;

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Related news from CNET:

[quote]Toshiba drive burns DVDs on the run

By John G. Spooner

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

September 30, 2002, 7:37 AM PT

Toshiba's new DVD burner is designed to turn notebook PCs into portable multimedia studios.

The storage device division of Toshiba America Information Systems, which launched the drive Monday, said it is first to hit the market with a DVD-rewritable drive for notebooks. Other manufacturers, such as Pioneer Electronics, are also working on DVD burners for laptops.

Pioneer has said it expects to launch the drive during the fourth quarter, which starts Tuesday.

The new Toshiba drive, dubbed SD-R6012, supports DVD-R and DVD-RW formats as well as the CD-RW format, allowing it to record data on both DVD and CD discs.

The new drive, which is available now to manufacturers, will soon appear in high-end notebooks, allowing consumers to use the portable machines to store data on DVDs and burn home movies. As previously reported, Toshiba will introduce such a notebook with its holiday product-line refresh. The company did not announce pricing for the internal drive.

"Our new lightweight combination drive brings DVD recording to the mobile world, providing users with a stepping stone to move from CD to DVD technology for creating and storing family photos, files, videos and other memories people don't want to lose," Maciek Brzeski, vice president of marketing at the Toshiba storage device division, said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the company's storage division also announced a similar drive, the SD-R5002, for desktop PCs. The drive is available now for $349, directly from Toshiba and also at retail, the company said. While the SD-R5002 can be installed into existing desktops, the SD-R6012 drive for notebooks must be designed into a new system.

Toshiba's new notebook drive will help DVD burners move closer to the mainstream. On the desktop side, DVD burners have become more affordable over time, thanks to price cuts by companies such as Hewlett-Packard. HP recently dropped prices on its drives by $100. They now start at $349.

But the DVD-burner manufacturers are currently waging a battle between DVD-RW and DVD+RW formats, reminiscent of the VHS versus Betamax conflict that preceded the widespread adoption of VCRs.

Most see this format battle as the biggest hurdle to the adoption of DVD burners by consumers. Some manufacturers, such as Sony, have attempted to sidestep the conflict by introducing drives that support both formats.

The SD-R6012 notebook drive writes DVDs at 1X speeds and CDs at up to 16x speeds. It reads DVDs at 8X and CDs at 24X speeds. DVD-RW discs cost about $10 each.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Too slow for Apple. Pioneer has one as well. Never getting into PowerBooks or iBooks. that's Pioneer's turf already. Toshiba makes great micro hard drives for the lovely, popular and expensive iPods. Good for them!

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 25
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>Apple has no relationship with Toshiba. Too slow for Apple's taste. Never getting into an Apple procduct. Really should be in a separate string Belle.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yah. I felt this bit was relevant:

[quote]Other manufacturers, such as Pioneer Electronics, are also working on DVD burners for laptops.

Pioneer has said it expects to launch the drive during the fourth quarter, which starts Tuesday.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Excuse me. That is extremely relevant. That looks like the smoking gun that proves SuperDrives are bound for the next PowereBook refresh.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's already a big ass Sony "laptop" with DVD-r. It's Japan only, though -- look around, you'll find a link. However, you can only burn DVD's when plugged into AC.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    [quote] Apple has no relationship with Toshiba. Too slow for Apple's taste. Never getting into an Apple procduct. Really should be in a separate string Belle. <hr></blockquote>

why do people say dumb crap? Toshiba has a large relationship with Apple! They provide the drives in the iPod...you know Apples mildly popular MP3 player. But you are right Toshiba will never make it into an Apple product, oh except for their most popular current product, and that is at least I would bet they show up in another Apple product. Multimedia, don't be a know-it-all if you know nothing at all. It was blatantly obvious, and it makes your other good opinions highly suspect when you say something so wrong.<a href="http://www.chipmunk.nl/iPod/"; target="_blank">ipod insides</a>

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: FlashGordon ]

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: FlashGordon ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 25
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Whoops! My bad. I delete my error above. Pardon me.

Why did I say such dumb crap? Because I forgot!

I still think it won't be in PowerBooks or iBooks because that's Pioneer's turf and they already own that part of the parts business with Apple.

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Pioneer cares, but not that much. Apple has used Panasonic/Matsushita, Sony, Lite-On, Pioneer, Sanyo, etc. for optical drives...you name it
  • Reply 9 of 25
    All right then. Apple's history with SuperDrives has been:

2001, Pioneer DVR-103

2002, Pioneer DVR-104

next will be

2003, Pioneer DVR-105

It will be a lot easier for Apple to support the 105 as their next SuperDrive because the drivers are likely to be almost, if not exactly, identical to the previous two models they used. And iDVD won't need to be changed to work with the 105.

I'll bet we can put 105's in new MDD PowerMacs and they will work right out of the box with iDVD. So I recomend buying (dual 867) or BTO (dual 1 or 1.25 GHz) the MDD's with the minus $200 Combo DVD/CD-RW drive and adding a raw OEM A05 in November purchased cheap off PriceWatch's best buy.

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Hey pay attention and spread the word. Don't anyone else buy a MDD PowerMac with any more obsolete SuperDrives. Downgrade all orders to the $200 less CD-RW drive and buy a raw IDE Quad Speed Pioneer DVR- 105 in November for the second bay.

• Reply 11 of 25
    Pioneer USA finally pulled the trigger today in announcing the Quad Speed DVR-A05/105 SuperDrive which goes on sale in America November 5th for $299 list in the retail box. That means it's going to cost far less than the previous A04/104 2X speed model that is in today's Macs. The RAW OEM drive is likely to sell for no more than about $250 to begin with. This is great news for those who will simply want to replace their existing SuperDrive with the faster one. Here's the press release:

<a href="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CompanyOverview/PressDetails/0,1479,92309,00.html"; target="_blank">http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CompanyOverview/PressDetails/0,1479,92309,00.html</a>;
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Yikes? $250? Time to replace my 104!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Dell had the Sony DVD±R/W / CD-R/W *everything* drive for around $280 shipped at one point. I wonder if it would work with Mac OS X's Disc Burner...

As of today, and only today, it's $296.34 shipped... it's normally ~$350. The only question is compatibility.

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Dell had the Sony DVD±R/W / CD-R/W *everything* drive for around $280 shipped at one point. I wonder if it would work with Mac OS X's Disc Burner...

As of today, and only today, it's $296.34 shipped... it's normally ~$350. The only question is compatibility.

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That Sony is only a 2.5X recorder and the standard they use is not as compatible with most DVD players as the Quad Speed Pioneer DVR-105/A05 Eugene.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>

That Sony is only a 2.5X recorder and the standard they use is not as compatible with most DVD players as the Quad Speed Pioneer DVR-105/A05 Eugene.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the sony drive also writes DVD-R and DVD-RW in addition to the newer not as standard DVD+R and DVD+RW

hence, the"burn everything"
  • Reply 16 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    How difficult would it be to replace my combo drive with one of these SuperDrives in my LCD iMac?

I'm a bit hestitant to crack open this work of art. Not quite the same as opening a tower case...but has anyone had success in swapping drives in an LCD iMac?
  • Reply 17 of 25

<strong>

That Sony is only a 2.5X recorder and the standard they use is not as compatible with most DVD players as the Quad Speed Pioneer DVR-105/A05 Eugene.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Sony burns both DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W, and it burns DVD-R/W just as fast as the Pioneer. You lose. Pioneer loses. If the drive is compatible with OS X and I was in the market for a DVD burner, guess which drive I'd be looking at?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

The Sony burns both DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W, and it burns DVD-R/W just as fast as the Pioneer. You lose. Pioneer loses. If the drive is compatible with OS X and I was in the market for a DVD burner, guess which drive I'd be looking at?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mean the Sony DRU 120A? It only burns @ 2.4X. Why would you want a much slower drive? Plus it's listed on PriceWatch.com for at least $330 vs. 4x for only $249 for the 105. I don't understand your logic. You would lose if you choose the Sony. Only 10 days until the 105 hits the street. :cool:

• Reply 19 of 25
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    The Sony DRU500A.

It is listed on some websites already, however the stock is listed as unavailable. Is it the beginning of November it is supposed to be launched?

There is also a drive report on xlr8yourmac already for compatability issues (needs some more details though).
  • Reply 20 of 25
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>How difficult would it be to replace my combo drive with one of these SuperDrives in my LCD iMac?

I'm a bit hestitant to crack open this work of art. Not quite the same as opening a tower case...but has anyone had success in swapping drives in an LCD iMac?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I found this article at <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com:"; target="_blank">www.xlr8yourmac.com:</a>

<a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html"; target="_blank">http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html</a>;

You try it first Take lots of pictures and tell us all how to do it :eek:

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: iMud ]</p>