Briefly: MacPro and MacBook Pro updates, Adobe app

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has released a security update for its new Mac Pros. Meanwhile an unpacking and take-apart pictorial of the new professional desktops has been posted online. And Adobe is readying a major update to one of its Mac apps.

Security Update 2006-004 for Mac Pro

Apple this week released Security Update 2006-004 for its new Mac Pro (2.3MB) systems running Mac OS X v10.4.7 (build 8K1079), and systems running Mac OS X Server v10.4.7 (Universal).

Although the majority of the fixes released in last week's Security Update 2006-004 were built into Build 8K1079, two were left out because they were not fully tested in time for the manufacturing of the Mac Pro.

The latest update applies those two fixes, which pertain to maliciously-crafted TIFF images and a loophole in remote login that could allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service attack or determine whether an account exists.

ExpressCard Update 1.0

Earlier on Thursday, Apple released ExpressCard Update v1.0 (492KB), which resolves an issue that prevented MacBook Pro systems from sleeping when some cards are inserted in the ExpressCard/34 slot.

Mac Pro unpacking and take-apart photos

The guys over at PowerMAX have posted some unpacking and take-apart photos of the new Mac Pro.

Some notes of interest include: the return of the standard power plug to Apple's Pro desktop line, four independent internal power cords present, giant heat sinks atop the processor modules, and rumors that the video cards in Mac Pro systems are non-SLI compliant.

Some of the Mac Pro component suppliers are as follows: Sony (optical drives) Seagate (250GB internal hard disks) and Nanya (RAM modules).

Mac Pro RAM riser cards | Photo Credit: PowerMAX

Also, as clearly shown in the images, the Intel Xeon chips are not soldered to the motherboard and can be swapped.

Adobe Contribute 4 Due Soon

On a completely different subject, reliable sources indicated that Adobe is prepping the release of its next Mac application, a major update to its Web site management software, Adobe Contribute.

Due sometime in the next few weeks, Adobe Contribute 4 will remain a PowerPC native application. However, sources say a Universal version will be released around the same time as Creative Suite 3 in the first half of 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "MacPro and MacBook Pro updates"... there's a headline begging to be taken literally

(Re Contribute: better Rosetta than not at all, and I doubt its users are speed-hungry anyway. Universal will come.)
  • Reply 2 of 44
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    250MB Hard Drives? I think not. What would the reason for not soldering the Xeon Chips to the motherboard?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Some notes of interest include: the return of the standard power plug to Apple's Pro desktop line

What was the non-standard power plug...? My 2003 G5 has a standard plug.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trtam

250MB Hard Drives? I think not. What would the reason for not soldering the Xeon Chips to the motherboard?

Not soldering? Tons of reasons...

A) Cheaper: your CPU dies, Apple replaces the CPU instead of the entire logic board and two CPUs. Or instead of desoldering an old CPU and resoldering a new one.

B) Makes it easier for Apple to deal with the frequent Intel speed bumps.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg

What was the non-standard power plug...? My 2003 G5 has a standard plug.

The later PowerMac G5s(05-06) had a non-standard plug(probably required by the massive water-cooling system).
  • Reply 6 of 44
    C) Makes BTO 8 times easier. One mobo, pop graphics card, extra RAM, and processors on, stick it in a case - good to go. You can do that in half an hour, as opposed to having to build three different times of soldered-CPU mobos in advance, and dealing with inventory issues.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I want a MacPro! The fact it's not soldered - not only an advantage for Apple, means we can actually update the processor in our machines!
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy

I want a MacPro! The fact it's not soldered - not only an advantage for Apple, means we can actually update the processor in our machines!

In theory, Dempsey (the motherboard platform) will be supported through 2009. However, the fact is that a 1333 MHz FSB isn't gonna be that hot with 4 and 8 core chips in each socket. Upgrades might require boosting that FSB (overclocking)
  • Reply 9 of 44
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

In theory, Dempsey (the motherboard platform) will be supported through 2009. However, the fact is that a 1333 MHz FSB isn't gonna be that hot with 4 and 8 core chips in each socket. Upgrades might require boosting that FSB (overclocking)

I thought it may be less easy. Think upgrades will still require a new computer!
  • Reply 10 of 44
    It's very possible, all you need is the processor, a mobo firmware update, and OS level support (which we should be able to get).

I'm just saying that if you double the cores and keep the bandwidth the same, you'll see less improvement than you would think.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

It's very possible, all you need is the processor, a mobo firmware update, and OS level support (which we should be able to get).

I'm just saying that if you double the cores and keep the bandwidth the same, you'll see less improvement than you would think.

You may also need chip set updates for some new cpus
  • Reply 12 of 44
    My understanding is that Intel's "platform" support promise covers the chipset. Thus there will be compatible processors for the board/chipset until 2009, but they may not be top of the line processors.

You are generally correct though in that that's something to consider. And you may want a new computer in 2008 anyways with PCIe2 and CSI.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It still allows some amount of scaling though. Relatively speaking, the G4s did very well even when the CPU clock was 10x the FSB, and the current 2.66GHz Woodcrest is about 4x assuming you split the bandwidth between the cores. A dual Clovertown at the same clock won't be in such dire circumstances and they'll have 4x more cache per core than the G4s did.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    How does that work? Quad-primed 333 MHz, so 2.0 GHz is a 6x multiplier, 2.66 is an 8x multiplier. How does it get easier (go to a 4x multiplier) when you double the number of cores (from 1 to 2)
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

How does that work? Quad-primed 333 MHz, so 2.0 GHz is a 6x multiplier, 2.66 is an 8x multiplier. How does it get easier (go to a 4x multiplier) when you double the number of cores (from 1 to 2)

2.66GHz is 2x the 1.33GHz FSB. If you assume half of the bandwidth goes to each core, then 2.66GHz is 4x 0.667GHz.
  • Reply 16 of 44

Image from this Woodcrest review. 3.0 GHz Woodcrest is a x9 multiplier with a 333.4 MHz FSB. The bus speed is 1333 MHz because it's quad-primed.

2.66 GHz is x8 multiplier. That's room to grow: a Conroe is 266MHz bus w/ x10 multiplier in it's 2.66 GHz model, and a default (unlocked) x11 multiplier in the C2E.

Point is, there isn't oodles of bandwidth. There's enough, but double the cores (and make half of the core-to-core communication within the process over FSB) and you have issues potentially at high speeds.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Image from this Woodcrest review. 3.0 GHz Woodcrest is a x9 multiplier with a 333.4 MHz FSB. The bus speed is 1333 MHz because it's quad-primed.

2.66 GHz is x8 multiplier. That's room to grow: a Conroe is 266MHz bus w/ x10 multiplier in it's 2.66 GHz model, and a default (unlocked) x11 multiplier in the C2E.

Point is, there isn't oodles of bandwidth. There's enough, but double the cores (and make half of the core-to-core communication within the process over FSB) and you have issues potentially at high speeds.

I don't think this is the right thing to worry about. Most apps that can use the extra cores will be compute bound. The memory bandwidth is not always the bottleneck.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trtam

What would the reason for not soldering the Xeon Chips to the motherboard?

I don't recall ANY Intel CPU ever being soldered to the motherboard.

Was that done in the PPC world?

Steve
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

it's quad-primed.

That means data is being sent four times per clock over the same set of lines, a new set of data is sent at each rise and fall of a quadrature clock. The G4 didn't have that, it sent data over one time per clock, having 1/4th the FSB bandwidth per clock. As such, the multiplier alone (the kind that you used) doesn't tell everything. The multiplier I used was more indicative of the actual data bandwidth the CPU gets. The G4 got 1.3GBps max bandwidth, each core on a Woodrest system gets about 5 GBps FSB bandwidth.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

That means data is being sent four times per clock over the same set of lines, a new set of data is sent at each rise and fall of a quadrature clock. The G4 didn't have that, it sent data over one time per clock, having 1/4th the FSB bandwidth per clock. As such, the multiplier alone (the kind that you used) doesn't tell everything. The multiplier I used was more indicative of the actual data bandwidth the CPU gets. The G4 got 1.3GBps max bandwidth, each core on a Woodrest system gets about 5 GBps FSB bandwidth.