iSight 2.0

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Given that the Mac Pro doesn't have a built in IR sensor to support Front Row. I came up with the following ways Apple would address this in the (near) future:

1. New Cinema Displays with IR (and iSight), or

2. Separate IR accessory (USB/IR and Apple Remote) that can be used with older Macs as well, or

3. iSight 2.0 with built in IR sensor.

The more I think about it, 3. seems most likely to me.

Btw, did you guys notice there were two iSights mounted on the keynote demo machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami

Btw, did you guys notice there were two iSights mounted on the keynote demo machine.

Naturally! The iSight can only be physically connected to one machine...as usual, there were two machines...and both of them were used (during the Time Machine demo when Italy photos were being recovered in iPhoto.)

Of course, problems could have arised during the iChat demo...so...
  • Reply 2 of 27
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    My God, do I ever agree. I got a brand new powerbook right before the macbook came out, and so I don't have any iSight action. I'd also like to be able to use Front Row, and an iSight with an IR sensor built in would presumably solve that problem. I want that.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I'd honestly prefer option 1 or 2 since I already have an iSight, although options 1 and 3 are the most seemless and elegant.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Performa636CD

I'd honestly prefer option 1 or 2 since I already have an iSight, although options 1 and 3 are the most seemless and elegant.

The Mac Pro is often used with multiple displays, so I don't like option 1 that much. Option 2 and 3 have the advantage of being relatively cheap. I like option 3 because iSight is also in need of an upgrade; I believe the built-in cameras in the iMac, MB, and MBP are superior to iSight.

I predict that iSight 2.0 will come out closer to Xmas and will make a good stocking stuffer.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Naturally! The iSight can only be physically connected to one machine...as usual, there were two machines...and both of them were used (during the Time Machine demo when Italy photos were being recovered in iPhoto.)

Of course, problems could have arised during the iChat demo...so...

Good thinking.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i kinda wish they'd just throw in an isight with every mac pro, like they used to do with plaintalk mics and the powermacs of old (even though most people just chucked them in a drawer). but i guess the production costs of an isight is a bit higher than that of a microphone.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    How about a nice iSight HD, 640x480 is a okay for iChat, but some people do use the iSight as a somewhat decent video camera, the option to record from iSight in iMovie is quite extensive, it'd seem logical to have HD camera to go with it.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobbagum

How about a nice iSight HD, 640x480 is a okay for iChat, but some people do use the iSight as a somewhat decent video camera, the option to record from iSight in iMovie is quite extensive, it'd seem logical to have HD camera to go with it.

That would probably make it too expensive. What price do you reckon?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I got an iSight for my Cinema display and have used it a total of 1 time. iChat is a lot less fun than I thougth it would be, and almost everyone I know does not want video chatting anyway. Phones will still be the way to go in the future, unless everyone all of a sudden agrees to give up the last bastion of pseudo-privacy they have left.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    You know that would be a hilarious ad for Apple's homepage:

*Picture of new Cinema display w/ built in camera*

"iSight 2.0 - $1999"
  • Reply 11 of 27
    HD in the UK is like 1024x768 - so at least that res would be fine - Processing 7 HD video Streams would require some killer internet connection. New iChat supports 7 Videos at once I think.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami

Given that the Mac Pro doesn't have a built in IR sensor to support Front Row. I came up with the following ways Apple would address this in the (near) future:

1. New Cinema Displays with IR (and iSight), or

2. Separate IR accessory (USB/IR and Apple Remote) that can be used with older Macs as well, or

3. iSight 2.0 with built in IR sensor.

The more I think about it, 3. seems most likely to me.

As I said here earlier, universal iPod dock would make a very good IR receiver, for machines. It could also open new interesting modular connectivity options.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501

As I said here earlier, universal iPod dock would make a very good IR receiver, for machines. It could also open new interesting modular connectivity options.

Hell, connecting the IR dock to your computer and installing a quick update would accomplish everything you'd need to make a non-IR Mac be able to use Front Row.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Hi guys,

has anybody noticed that on ALL European's Apple Online Stores, only them, there's no trace of iSight anymore?

I tried to contact the Apple Shop by phone and they told me that:

"...Due to an incompatibility () issue, the iSight cam has been removed from all European Apple Online Stores. It will come back, sure, but not so soon. Actually, I can't tell you exactly when, but it will".

I swear that's what they told me. In just a nanosecond after pronouncing the term "iSight".

Crazy answer, nah....?

Thank you guys!

P.S.: sorry, in case you've already talked about this matter
  • Reply 15 of 27
    When cellphones camera are so commoditised, most PC webcam manufacturer are still sticking with 640x480, Apple has a real opportunity to offer something as simple as an XGA camera, but renaming it "HD" that sounds so sexy logitech is soon to offer something similar, I don't think there's any instant messenger that supports HD video yet do they?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Hell, connecting the IR dock to your computer and installing a quick update would accomplish everything you'd need to make a non-IR Mac be able to use Front Row.

What is this...quick update you speak of?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luca Boccaccini

Hi guys,

has anybody noticed that on ALL European's Apple Online Stores, only them, there's no trace of iSight anymore?

I tried to contact the Apple Shop by phone and they told me that:

"...Due to an incompatibility () issue, the iSight cam has been removed from all European Apple Online Stores. It will come back, sure, but not so soon. Actually, I can't tell you exactly when, but it will".

I swear that's what they told me. In just a nanosecond after pronouncing the term "iSight".

Crazy answer, nah....?

Thank you guys!

P.S.: sorry, in case you've already talked about this matter

oooo i know this one

the reason the iSight has dissapeared (along with the airport express (i think) base station and others) is because it did not conform to new EU regulations (bought in on 1st July) about the materials that can be used in products. (they contain mercury or something like that which is no longer allowed by the EU!)

stu
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley

oooo i know this one

the reason the iSight has dissapeared (along with the airport express (i think) base station and others) is because it did not conform to new EU regulations (bought in on 1st July) about the materials that can be used in products. (they contain mercury or something like that which is no longer allowed by the EU!)

stu

Oh, well, right...

Thank you Stu!

I've read some articles on which they say that even the Airport bases has been removed.

Let's wait for a (long) while...
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Any reason why the remote couldn't be a bluetooth device?

Just a thought.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumpyspider

Any reason why the remote couldn't be a bluetooth device?

Probably better on the batter if it's IR instead. Less intensive.