lid latch broken, airport card playing up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok my 12" pb magnetic lid latch has broken off and since then, or so it seems, my airport card in the same has started losing its connection to the wireless router. The network status shows as "airport has self assigned ip address". Reboot clears the problem. Happens randomly. 3 bars on the network strength indicator.

My other, XP, machine can still get out via this router so I don't think this is the problem.

Is this the card at fault? Is there something I can do rather than reboot each time, I know most linux boxes have a network stop/start script that can be run from the $ prompt...

As the lid isn't shutting is it causing overheat issues?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    How did the latch break? Did you drop the computer?

Could be that the card needs re-seating, although if that were the case I'd probably expect more serious problems like kernel panics.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Wear and tear. The machine is about 5 years old now. I have reseated the airport card anyway incase its a loose connection. I'll get it fixed I was just wondering if would explain the dropouts. I'll let you know.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Actually, the mac does have a service script.

Just type "/sbin/service --list". There isn't a "network" service per se, so you'll have to identify which service is botching up.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    I super glued the latch lid, i know i know, and for now it is holding but I'm still getting the airport card dropping out/losing its router assigned address.

I've checked the list of services running when its working and i'll do the same when it goes again and see whats missing.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gardnerj

Ok my 12" pb [..]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gardnerj

The machine is about 5 years old now. [..]

Not to pick nits, but even assuming you have the very first generation of those, your machine is at most three and a half years old.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Not to pick nits, but even assuming you have the very first generation of those, your machine is at most three and a half years old.

seems like a lifetime .... yeah i realised that as soon as i submitted the thread.

Intrestingly opening terminal and running:

/sbin/service comsat start

reassigns a proper ip

not quite sure what that means though
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ok ignore that last post it was just a coincidence.

I have since bought a replacement airport card. Trouble is when i install it and power on it doesn't see the old network. i didn't think i had to configure the new card? It should just see the existing network right?

I put the old card back in and i can see the network albeit with occasional drop outs.