Mac Switch?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, this seems a tad strange asking other people for advice on computers, but, these are strange times

I want a Mac!

I want to use:

Some of the apps I would use in OSX/windows

Adobe Creative Suite 2/3

Apple Pro Apps (Apature, Final Cut etc.)

iLife

iWork

Microsoft Office

Counter Strike Source (medium graphics is acceptable)

Internet / Mail / MSN

Now when I say Adobe Creative Suite, I could bare using it in Rosetta or in windows till it comes out as a UB. Also, I don't think i'll be doing massive Photoshop things @ 10000x10000 pixels with like a million layers etc. Mabye once I get a Digital Camera, using Apature to edit raw files, nothing pro, but you know just something to get by with. Mabye once I get a HD Video Camera aswell, (might buy one from a mate) and see if it is up to editing and compessing to h.264, nothing hard core, but you know as a hobby, mabye video podcasts.

Laptop / Desktop:

MacBook Pro - I couldn't use a 17 inch laptop I don't think, they just seem massive. My friends that have laptops all have 17inch Widescreens, and they are pertty big. One of my mates has a Dell and it seems ok for being on a desk, but to big for "portablilty" as such. The 15inch seems better as I currently have a IBm 15inch (no widescreen) so it should be similar size and it seems fine. The speed is really good aparently, and also the Radeon X1600 at even 128mb or 256mb is a fairly good card. The price is a little high, and as I said, I only really would be playing Counter Strike: Source, at what, medium graphics, anything above is a bonus, so mabye the system is a little overkill. For designing with the above apps, not sure how it would perform, but I would guess a little better than the MacBook for effects or applications that use the GPU to accelerate the process.

MacBook - 13.3" White Tiny Fast Cheap - seems like the perfect solution. If I do get a laptop, I really want one that is portable, and lightish, as lugging a big heavy notebook is not really something I want to do. The screen size and resloution won't be to big a problem as most of the time if I am designing will be hooked up to some screen (or dual 19" setup?) so it's fine there. A white one with 2Ghz and probably 1 or 2 gb ram (for rosetta as it uses a crap load aparently) so that should be fast enough, and perhaps a 7200rpm drive If I could find one, as I don't think Apple sell them for the MacBook, but I am sure I can get 2.5 inch drives elsewhere (unless the MBP 7200rpm drive fits?)

OR

iMac - The only problem there is that I am used to a 19" display @ 1280x1024, and so would a 17inch iMac still have the room I need for design work? The 20inch seems a little expensive, though perhaps not totally out of my price range. The Radeon X1600 graphics card, like that in the MacBookPro is pretty good for gamging, but again might be overkill.

Mac Pro - even with all the options at the lowest, £1,200 is just to much for a computer for me to buy with no display.

Mac Mini - Seems to slow to do any real Photoshoping at all, even when UB's come out. Unless there is going to be some kind of upgrade to it, especially in graphics as for a desktop machine, I don't really want to be stuck at integrated graphics. A nice machine, but probably not powerful enough for photoshop tasks, even small(ish) ones. Although, it is really small and even with a 20inch display costs around £1000.

CPU Speed/Type:

Apple offer different configurations of the Intel Core Duo (soon Core 2 Duo?) CPU, yet no real difference in Ghz Speed. The L2 Cache doesn't seem to change, although I could be wrong on that point, but from what I have seen there isn't much change.

1.66 / 1.86 / 2.0 / 2.16 for the Core Duo's

2.0 / 2.66 / 3.0 for the Core 2 Duo Xeon's "Woodcrest"

(unsure) 1.86 / 2.0 / 2.16 / 2.33 / 2.66 / 2.93 / 3.16 for Core 2 Duo/Extreme

The Big Jumps from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo is the 64Bit, New architecture and 4mb L2 Cache in the faster models (double L2 than Core Duo's at present) But these are not in any Macintosh aside the MacPro, and how long it is before they start to appear in notebooks from any company is estimated around Late August to Late September before they start rolling out "Menrom" chips, and also full swing production of "Conroe" chips.

I have seen some reports from various rumor sites saying that the iMac's chip can be swapped from a Core Duo to a Conroe Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz 4mb L2 Cache with no problem at all, well aside voiding the warentee. This is not possible in the notebooks as the chips are soldered down to save space making them thinner.

Desktop Replacement:

Now, I would really like a Mac desktop and laptop, and I would also like money to grow on tree's - it's just not gonna happen this year, so I must settle for one or the other.

Alot of laptops these days claim to be "Desktop Replacements" and ofcourse, most are complete rubbish. Apple's laptop line-up though looks like it might just be able to follow through on that. The MacBook would be ideal if it had a dedicated graphics card, but the Intel Integrated Graphics in it - GMA 900/950 is pretty good, and with the BootCamp BETA (Still beta, so perhaps might get better when its 1.0) can play HL2 1280x800 at medium(ish) graphics, so thats not to bad, and supports DX 9.0c effects. The MacBookPro can easily play most games, BF2, HL2, CS Source, Doom 3, COD 2, UT 2004 so that would be really good, but is it worth the cost?

Would it be faster in UB's of the Adobe Creative Suite and Apple Pro Apps than those apps (or the same type in the case of the Apple Pro Apps) would run on a AMD X2 4400+ 2Gb ram 6800GT 256mb inside XP?

Desktop Screens:

Apple make some fantastic looking screens, but they do cost more than others of similar size and specification. Is it worth Buying a 20/23 inch screen from Apple or would it be worth while looking for either refurbished ones, or buying one from EBay, or some other auction site. Perhaps there is some art studio or something that is selling them, if so how would one going about finding out?

Do you have an Apple Cinema Display (or the older studio ones) that you are selling 20inch or above?

Also, could i use my 2 x 19inch screens at the same time on a dual screen setup with a MacBook or MacBookPro and if so would i need some type of adapter to get 2 screens to work on the MacBook?

Final Thoughts [Part 1] :

With the introduction of the Wireless Mighty Mouse, and obviously the already released wireless keyboard, Would it be possible to hook say a MacBook or MacBookPro to a 20/23 inch Cinema display - OR - 2 x 19inch @ 2560x1024 - and if so, I would imagine I would need some type of adapter to hook up the 2 19's even if it is possible.

If I got all that setup, would it be worth using as a desktop replacement for Photoshop? (with Rosetta/UB/or BootCamp Windows)

My PC is no snail, but would even a - MacBook 13" 2Ghz, with 1-2Gb ram and a 7200RPM Drive - do as a desktop replacement for Photoshop etc. Especially when UB's come out.

Final Thoughts [Part 2] :

From what I can telling, getting the follow would suit me best, although I want to know what you think as I have never had a Mac, nor have I tried any of the intel or G4/G5's.

The Setup I Think Would Suit Me Best!

White MacBook 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo

13.3-inch widescreen display

1280 x 800 resolution

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo

1024MB memory (2 x 512MB SODIMMs)

60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive

SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

Price = £910.87 (GBP)

Your Opinion :

I would really like to know your opinion on this, and what you think would suit me best, and what you think I should do. Wait for new tech, buy now and get the most and buy a new one next year (at Christmas)

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you just skipped to the end, i'll give you a brief overview.

I want a Mac - Preferable a Laptop - MacBook? Portable + fast + desktop replacement etc. under £1200(ish)

Again Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Ummmm....yeah.

You should be banned for the length of that post...

I really don't know why you're asking, considering that you've basically made up your mind. If you don't have any friends to tell you to buy it, I guess I will...

Just get the MacBook and you won't be disappointed. You're not going to find anything better that will make a significant difference unless you fork out more money.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I have a PowerBook G4 ... I bought in for the screen size (15") ... other than that, the iBook (now the MacBook) would have provided EVERYthing I wanted. If you like the screen-size, then get the MacBook ... it's a fantastic machine. The MacBookPro is only worth the extra $$ if you REALLY want the bigger screen, or need the expansion ports. (FW800, PCcard)

I have an iMac G5 as well... I use it a lot, but the PowerBook could certainly replace it if I wanted it to... especially connected to a 20" display. The Mac laptops are defintely desktop replacement quality. (And in the case of the iMac, the 20" is DEFINITELY worth the extra $$... you just can't have too much screen real-estate.)

Get your MacBook, and a 20" display (non-Apple would be MUCH cheaper) if you're gonna use it at a desk a lot. You won't be dissapointed.

And from what your post made it sound like, YOU won't really notice the "slow-down" from running Photoshop under Rosetta too much ... but I have a feeling it'll be available in UB soon anyhow.

Let uss know how you like it after you've played with it for a week or two.

P.S. kudos to MI5 on catching the terrorists BEFORE they got on the airplanes today!!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Agreed, get the MacBook 2.0 with 2GB of RAM and an external display of your choice and size (20" @ 1600x1200 is great for graphics work!). Only one display can be connected to the MacBook / MacBook Pro, though.

Any sATA 2.5" 7200 rpm harddrive fits into the MacBook, you can even install it without voiding your warranty. Gaming performance would, of course, be better on a MacBook Pro because of the dedicated graphics chip, but for the price difference MacBook vs. MacBook Pro you'll better get a console.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    So basically, there isn't much difference between the MacBook and MacBookPro aside the screen size and graphics?

Would I notice a difference in everyday applications with a MacBook compared to a MacBookPro like Safari, iPhoto, iTunes and so on?

Also, is there a chance that Apple will update the MacBook before Christmas, perhaps at the Paris Expo to Core 2 Duo and the new Intel X3000 Inegrated Graphics (GMA 950/960?) and from what I have seen, they should bring significant performance increases in gaming, even for integrated graphics as it has a GPU now for the integrated graphics.

- Also - I don't have my mind made up, that was just my thoughts on what would probably be best for me, but I have never had a Mac thats why I am checking my thoughts with you as I am guessing you know a bit more about Macs that I do.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

If the MacBookPro can power a 30inch dispaly which requires 2 dvi-d connectors, how can it not use 2 23 inch screens (or below) as they only use 1 dvi-d?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    So basically, there isn't much difference between the MacBook and MacBookPro aside the screen size and graphics?

In short, yes, apart from the fact that the MacBook Pro has an ExpressCard/34 expansion slot and an illuminated keyboard, plus some other minor differences like processor speed (2.16 v. 2.0 GHz), harddrive size, shell (alu vs. plastics).

Would I notice a difference in everyday applications with a MacBook compared to a MacBookPro like Safari, iPhoto, iTunes and so on?

In the applications mentioned above, no. There would not even be a big difference graphics-wise or in responsiveness of the operating system. Gaming is a different story, FinalCut Pro probably as well.

Also, is there a chance that Apple will update the MacBook before Christmas, perhaps at the Paris Expo to Core 2 Duo and the new Intel X3000 Inegrated Graphics (GMA 950/960?) and from what I have seen, they should bring significant performance increases in gaming, even for integrated graphics as it has a GPU now for the integrated graphics.

We will only know when the machines are being announced, but my personal guess is: updated MacBook Pro in October (with "Merom" processors), but the MacBook will stay the same until January '07 (I don't think the integrated graphics will be replaced soon because of costs).

Also - I don't have my mind made up, that was just my thoughts on what would probably be best for me, but I have never had a Mac thats why I am checking my thoughts with you as I am guessing you know a bit more about Macs that I do.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

If the MacBookPro can power a 30inch dispaly which requires 2 dvi-d connectors, how can it not use 2 23 inch screens (or below) as they only use 1 dvi-d?

This is a wide-spread misunderstanding: all MacBooks and also the MacBook Pros have only ONE physical connector (DVI or mini-DVI) and both are capable of driving ONE external display up to the 23" CinemaDisplay (MacBook requires mini-DVI to DVI adapter cable!).

The MacBook Pro, however, has the same ONE physical DVI connector capable of driving ONE external display up to the 30" CinemaDisplay by using more signal lines inside the DVI connector (dual-link vs. single-link). The DVI connector itself is physically the same, only the amount of display signals that can pass through is different.

So you can only connect ONE external display to the ONE connector on the MacBook or MacBook Pro, but there is still the display in the notebook itself, which makes a great setup, too. For Windows notebooks, however, there are some ExpressCard solutions capable of driving two displays from one notebook, but I guess they are very expensive.

It all depends primarily on your budget and on whether or not you need a fast gaming machine. For desktop replacement, both notebooks are good choices, if you add external mouse, keyboard and display. And you can use BootCamp or Parallels to run the Adobe Apps, which you probably already have, in Windows. Adobe, I guess, will start delivering its first UB versions in late fall, so we won't see Photoshop et al in UB before next spring.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ah thanks for clearing up the whole display thing with them, saved me making any mistakes there.

MacBook Update in January is a bit of a let down, would have thought a update for the whole line before christmas would have been better for them as it would entice more customers to get stuff from them, especially if they could come out with the first core 2 duo laptops.

Graphics, well, I have seen plenty videos on YouTube and GoogleVideo with people playing Half Life 2 on a MacBook and it seemed to run not to bad, I mean, my IBM ThinkPad has Radeon 7000 64mb just now and 1Gb Ram with 1.7ghz Pentium M 1mb L2 Cache - so I am guessing even with games i would see some type of performance increase. I can play CStrike Source DX7 mode @ medium settings above 30-40fps fine - so if the Intel chipset can run in DX8 mode at medium graphics i'd be happy with that.

Battlefield 2 - Not sure if I would really play that on a MacBook but if it could run that would be a bonus but apparntly people have been playing it on MacMini's which arn't as fast the MacBooks out today, so mabye I would have a chance there.

I would love to go and try out a MacBook and/or a MacBook Pro but I live in Scotland and there isn't an Apple store here, the nearest one is somewhere in the middle of England - aroudn 400 miles away, so you can see I won't be buying from an Apple store. Although PC world does sell them, I might get my Uncle to drive me to PC world (25-30miles away) and see if they have any on display that I could mabye try out, hopefully they do. I wouldn't buy a MacBook from them, I'd rather buy it from the Apple Online Store and go to the Educational bit and get some money off it :P

Thanks for your replies, and please keep them coming. If you have a MacBook / or MacBookPro please contact me on msn so we can chat about it [email protected]
  • Reply 7 of 8
    oh my god. you live in the middle of no-where! (gloats, i think theres a macstore bieng introduced about 20 minutes from me ) but yeah i want a macbook too - rumors have it that perhaps macbooks will have the core 2 duos within the next month, but i'm not sure if i want to keep waiting or not.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    You'll find that the iMac 20" is a pretty good deal, especially if you buy one gray-market through the US. VAT/sales tax here is usually really low, 0-8% depending on state. I'm not sure if eBay will let you get away with side-stepping VAT, though, or if you know anyone willing to help you out. Sometimes, if you watch an auction that doesn't sell, you can email the seller and make a private deal. Shipping for an iMac can't be too bad. Shipping a laptop would probably be quite cheap.