My First Mac: MacBook Doubts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, Apple finally did it, so i'm going to buy a MacBook.

I would be using mostly office, firefox (camino), msn messenger app (options?) and sometimes bootcamp, photoshop.

I would goo for the 1099 macbook.

I have some doubts:

Is it good idea to go for the 1GB RAM version? (+100 more)

I travel a lot, so, the warranty is international?

Last, any coupons/tips to get some discount? (I can't apply for educational, cause i'm a foreigner).

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Small Buiness one gets you like 100 bucks or sumthin off, so if you have / work for one just do that.

Get 1gb Ram thats what i'm doing mate if i get one. MSN there is MSN for Mac or Adium. I probably have the exact same use for it as you do - when you get it, holla at me on msn [email protected] lemme know how it goes.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Get the 1GB RAM for sure.

Rosetta eats RAM alive. Granted, I use it for Photoshop, but I have 1GB and it's still not enough. There isn't a discount, even the educational discount is only $50.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Claim the VAT back lol - get like $150-200 back then :P
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks guys for the replies.

One thing to note* is that i'm not from US, so, how can i reclaim VAT? Alseo, of the 1199, how much is tax?

Last, what about refurbished ones?

And/or maybe some circuitcity/but.com/amazon/whatever discount coupon/prommotion/etc?

*the machine would be sent to LA.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Last, while MS Office gets released, what should i use? OpenOffice?

Would i get a free update to leopard if i buy now?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DD_nVidia

Claim the VAT back lol - get like $150-200 back then :P

My purchase, no matter how I slice it, ends up being a few dollars more than the Massachusetts tax-free day limit of $2500.