Zune's wireless capabilities overblown - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft's upcoming Zune digital media player has long been rumored to sport on-the-go wireless capabilities that would differentiate it from Apple's iPod offerings, but it appears those reports are partially inaccurate.

According to a report published on Twice, retailers briefed by Microsoft say Zune will offer Wi-Fi capability but will require that the player be connected to a PC in order to purchase tracks.

"Retailers, who claimed Microsoft remained 'fuzzy' on the Zune?s wireless capability, said only that Zune will allow users to bookmark songs that may be shared via Wi-Fi, but that users cannot purchase songs on the go from the Microsoft Zune Web site," the report states.

Retailers cited in the report further state that the player will incorporate a 30GB hard drive, be available in three colors and retail for US$299.

At least one retailer has claimed that Zune's display screen would be larger than that of Apple?s video iPod models.

"The retailers were pleased with Microsoft?s feature-per-price package," the report adds.

Last month, Microsoft confirmed that has been working on music and entertainment products that will compete with Apple's iPod and iTunes jukebox software.

Media reports suggest Microsoft will launch the music initiative in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    ...ugh...microsoft......they are the best at being the worst....ugh...

first post! woot!
  • Reply 2 of 48
    (first, let me add Wilco's obligatory) Holy Canoli!

Hmmm... So it took them a year to try to exactly copy the iPod with video capability right down to the hard drive size and price, and slap together a shitty UI. If you can't buy songs via WiFi, what the hell good will it do except waste battery?

MS is DOOMED, they are offering last year's iPod at last year's price while Apple will offer a brand new iPod this year.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    I reckon since there's a market for the Ford 500/Food Focus in the U.S., they'll be a market for the Zune, no matter how retarded it sounds thus far. Perhaps the true competition will be between the Zune and whatever Creative's latest flavor. Hmm, this could actually *help* Creative.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Let the price wars begin!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Marking songs for download? Wow, what a feature! (I hope you can recognize the sarcasm). With my iPod I actually have to remember the name of a song or album EVERY time I want new music. If I don't remember, then I have to go through the long and grueling process of typing a search into google or the iTMS. Man, this wireless thing is clearly worth switching to a Zune.

Seriously, one thing I admire about Apple is that it seems like they try to avoid including worthless features and only include those that are really ready for making their products better for the user. One recent example is the Nike Sport Kit. Very well done and easy to use. I can think of a couple of great improvements they could implement, but overall, very well thought out. One thing that would be nice is to have the iPod automatically go to the Nike menu whenever you plug in the reciever (or at least make that an option, since you're pretty much just using it for that whenever the receiver is connected).
  • Reply 6 of 48
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    An unreleased product with overblown capabilities? Whatever next!!

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Yup, just like the one-sided OS "war". They are competing with Tiger (5G iPod) while we are about to move onto Leopard (6G iPod). Microsoft is just completely pathetic, there is nothing else to it.

And yeah, I hope for their sake that they don't actually name the product Zune.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

There's no way MS can compete with Apple on price unless they want to lose billions of dollars (like they did with the xBox). Apple has a 4 year lead, plus they operate on larger quantities, so they can corner the market on certain types of components.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Bwahahahahaha! Let 'em try to compete!
  • Reply 10 of 48
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

The Zune, when it's released, has the exact same $ per MB as the iPod has today... if they'd wanted to start a price war they'd have priced it lower. Creative tried this approach (same $ as iPod, only with a lot more "features") and failed. The price per feature isn't what sells this stuff, and Microsoft appears to be explicitly trying NOT to start a price war.

That being said, Apple has the lowest component costs in the industry because of volume, long-term deals, and bundling, so Apple should be able to win any price war in which the company makes money on these things. Of course, Microsoft could try the loss-leader approach again, but eventually their investors are going to want them to actually make money on their ventures instead of tapping MS Office and Windows monopolies to lose money elsewhere.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It sounds like this might allow you to listen to a friends zune songs on your zune through wifi.

I dunno if it's just me but that seems kinda useless.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Yawn, Wi-Fi with larger screen for the same price, in November. I reckon by then, Apple would release next iteration of iPod nano and video iPod, possibly with more relevant Bluetooth A2DP.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Perhaps apple should time their 6G ipod release to coincide with Zune - maybe a few days after or before...
  • Reply 14 of 48
    So the Wi-Fi is pointless and will waste a lot of battery life, as will the large screen. I'd imagine that Microsoft's solution to this is to include a battery the size of a brick "with 1.5 times the battery life of an iPod!"

And is it just me, or is a 30 GB hard drive really small for a video player? I don't play videos on my iPod but my music alone takes up 20 GB.

The only way the Zune will be successful is if consumers buy it because of brand familiarity, given Windows' market share. They may also think that it will work flawlessly with Windows, and in theory it should, but we all know the answer to that
  • Reply 15 of 48
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I wonderwhat OS X compatibility will be like.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sekio

I wonderwhat OS X compatibility will be like.

My guess is nil for the first while, then more if they sell enough devices to make it worth it. Well, I take that back, MS likes to develop products whether they will be profitable or not, just so they can be in everything.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

My guess is nil for the first while, then more if they sell enough devices to make it worth it. Well, I take that back, MS likes to develop products whether they will be profitable or not, just so they can be in everything.

Except linux beacuse we all know that its cancer

not quite everything just most everything
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster

The only way the Zune will be successful is if consumers buy it because of brand familiarity, given Windows' market share. They may also think that it will work flawlessly with Windows, and in theory it should, but we all know the answer to that

Yes its kindda like how ipod users like the Ipod and then buy a mac...

Windows users will think: "well microsoft makes a great OS, so im sure their MP3..."

wait... \
  • Reply 19 of 48
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    What's the rush?

Let's wait and see the Zune..

8)

P.S. I'm still waiting for the 23" iMac
  • Reply 20 of 48
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Seriously, one thing I admire about Apple is that it seems like they try to avoid including worthless features.

I dunno. The WiFi feature holds no appeal for me, but I can see that kids might like being able to listen to what others are listening to. If you had a critical mass of Zune users (like in a school bus) those with inovative tastes could become like mini radio stations. When listening to other peoples music, then, I can see how it would be quite usefull to be able to mark something to buy--you wouldn't have to remember the name of anything.

This being said, one still has to wonder:

--Will there ever be critical mass? The tweens and teens I know love their I pods!

--How will it compete with the next gen iPod?

--How much will WiFi cost in battery life?

--Will anyone actually enjoy using the product?