Apple likely to allow movie transfers to DVD

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

For people who don't want to click the link:

I hope Apple will now allow burning current videos purchased through iTMS to DVD. The fact that it takes special DVDs is still a huge barrier though, IMO.

I don't think there is much excuse as it is, with the videos being quarter the resolution of DVD, frankly, it could be written as a VCD.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I hope Apple will now allow burning current videos purchased through iTMS to DVD. The fact that it takes special DVDs is still a huge barrier though, IMO.

Would Apple allow burning of such low-res video? Video for tiny screens is one thing, but I don't think Apple wants to be branded a low-res content distributor.

The next problem, then, is file size. It already takes forever to download a 45-minute TV episode that weighs in at 250 MB. Do you really want to download a 2 GB feature film to burn to DVD?
  • Reply 23 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland

Would Apple allow burning of such low-res video? Video for tiny screens is one thing, but I don't think Apple wants to be branded a low-res content distributor.

The next problem, then, is file size. It already takes forever to download a 45-minute TV episode that weighs in at 250 MB. Do you really want to download a 2 GB feature film to burn to DVD?

People! It's not Apple. It's the content owners who don't want this. There isn't any reason for Apple to care. In fact, if it would sell more downloads, Apple would prefer it, but the content owners are more worried about illegal copies, and would rather forgo some sales to assure themselves (falsely or not) that it won't happen.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer is atop the list of merchants that could soon start to allow video downloads to be transferred onto DVDs.

If they don't, somebody will do it for them. ;-)