I just want to understand

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello,

Thanks for your time. I just want to understand this. I pay money to download tunes from itunes for my PDA. After I set up an account answering more questions than I did for purchasing a home, figure out how to download the tunes, I find out later there is no way, to convert the ridiculous extentions from M4P to MP3.

After reading some threads I guess there is a way but 1. it's not really too ethical, (why? I paid for the song. I just want to listen to it on my MP3 player?) and 2. you "can't" tell me how to for fear of being thrown off this forum?

Come on guys. We have to draw some lines here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    While DRM is a pain, we wouldn't be where we are without it. The head folks in musicland would have never allowed a legal release of music unless it was protected, thus undistributable (don't think that a word, but it fits here).

I'm suprised they even let you burn it to a CD .
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wynn

Hello,

Thanks for your time. I just want to understand this. I pay money to download tunes from itunes for my PDA. After I set up an account answering more questions than I did for purchasing a home, figure out how to download the tunes, I find out later there is no way, to convert the ridiculous extentions from M4P to MP3.

After reading some threads I guess there is a way but 1. it's not really too ethical, (why? I paid for the song. I just want to listen to it on my MP3 player?) and 2. you "can't" tell me how to for fear of being thrown off this forum?

You really thought you could download non-DRM'ed music? What rock have you been living under for the past 4 years?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    This is a bit disingenuous.

The easy to cope with Apple's DRM is to download the music and then immediately burn it all as an audio CD. Poof! DRM is gone and you have the digital equivalent of a store-bought CD.

That's how I moved content (a small number of songs) to my Treo. Rocket science, it isn't.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Hello,

Wynn,

Where have you been?

If you *could* turn your iTunes downloads into MP3s and send them to your PDA, you could also turn your tunes to MP3s and post them on the internet. Other people would download them, the record companies would be denied revenue and the entire World - as we know it - would collapse.

This argument has some holes. But restriction of rights-of-use was the deal Apple signed with the devil in exchange for the general worldwide agreement of the music industry in creating the iTunes music store. Apple could have created the DRM free iTMS - but it would only have Arctic Monkeys and Aphex Twin records.

Wynn - You have some options.

o Buy an iPod. You ARE allowed to copy your songs to an iPod. And iPods are officially cooler than PDAs.

o Remove the DRM. You have a number of options here which are semi-illegal. But probably ethical. iTunes will allow you to burn tunes to regular CDs. And will also allow you to rip those CDs to unprotected MP3s. So you can do it - it's just very boring.

o Buy CDs instead - rip them to MP3 (iTunes will do this) - and put those on your PDA.

o Buy unprotected MP3s (which is legal)

o Download pirated MP3s (which is not)

C.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    wynnwynn Posts: 4member
    Remove the DRM. You have a number of options here which are semi-illegal. But probably ethical. iTunes will allow you to burn tunes to regular CDs. And will also allow you to rip those CDs to unprotected MP3s. So you can do it - it's just very boring.

I don't follow the "remove the DRM". Sorry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage

Wynn,

Where have you been?

If you *could* turn your iTunes downloads into MP3s and send them to your PDA, you could also turn your tunes to MP3s and post them on the internet. Other people would download them, the record companies would be denied revenue and the entire World - as we know it - would collapse.

This argument has some holes. But restriction of rights-of-use was the deal Apple signed with the devil in exchange for the general worldwide agreement of the music industry in creating the iTunes music store. Apple could have created the DRM free iTMS - but it would only have Arctic Monkeys and Aphex Twin records.

Wynn - You have some options.

o Buy an iPod. You ARE allowed to copy your songs to an iPod. And iPods are officially cooler than PDAs.

o Remove the DRM. You have a number of options here which are semi-illegal. But probably ethical. iTunes will allow you to burn tunes to regular CDs. And will also allow you to rip those CDs to unprotected MP3s. So you can do it - it's just very boring.

o Buy CDs instead - rip them to MP3 (iTunes will do this) - and put those on your PDA.

o Buy unprotected MP3s (which is legal)

o Download pirated MP3s (which is not)

C.

• Reply 6 of 15
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Simplified:

iTunes will allow you to burn tunes to regular CDs.

And will also allow you to rip those CDs to unprotected MP3s.

So you can do it - it's just very boring.

That should clear things up.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Ultra simplified:

1 - Select The Icky 'MP4' songs (from within iTunes)

2 - Move to a new playlist (make sure the total is less than 74/80 min or so)

3 - Click "Burn To CD"

Once the songs are recorded as a Music CD you can do whatever you want with the CD play it in your house, play it in your car, play it on your computer oh and other cool things like RIPPING THE SONGS TO MP3 format with whatever software you like (hey you could even uses, oh I don't know, hmm, how about iTunes!).

D
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Dave and everyone else -

I did this. Could this have changed since the last time you attempted this with itunes? When I burned it to the CD it would not play anywhere but through my computer through my itunes program. When I checked the properties it carried over as M4P. I did change the option to MP3.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee

Ultra simplified:

1 - Select The Icky 'MP4' songs

2 - Click "Burn To CD"

3 - There is no step 3!

Once the songs are recorded as a Music CD you can do whatever you want with the CD play it in your house, play it in your car, play it on your computer oh and other cool things like RIPPING THE SONGS TO MP3 format with whatever software you like (hey you could even uses, oh I don't know, hmm, how about iTunes!).

D

• Reply 9 of 15
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    go to pref --> Advanced --> Burning --> Check Audio CD and then burn your disc.

Now it will be in standard audio cd format, playable in any audio cd player and therefore can be ripped to mp3 just as you would anyother standard audio cd. Hope that helps!

Doug
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Doug-

Thank you so very much for your time and patience. I was originally told to burn them with the "MP3 Option", which obviously didn't work. Thank you again! Enjoy your weekend.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc

go to pref --> Advanced --> Burning --> Check Audio CD and then burn your disc.

Now it will be in standard audio cd format, playable in any audio cd player and therefore can be ripped to mp3 just as you would anyother standard audio cd. Hope that helps!

Doug

• Reply 11 of 15
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

I don't follow the "remove the DRM". Sorry.

DRM is "digital rights management" the three letter acronym which means you can't do with your music what you think you ought to be able to do.

As already stated. There is the burn and re-rip option.

And there are a number of programs which just zap off the DRM. Leaving you with an unprotected MP4 file. Such dubious programs lurk on the shady underbelly of the Internet.

Not sure if I will get in trouble for mentioning it here.

C.

Do you like crossword puzzles? - try this. Four Letters - Religious Song.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moving to iPod and iTunes.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It's sometimes hard for us so fully immersed in the Mac culture that some people just don't know iTunes as well as we do.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

It's sometimes hard for us so fully immersed in the Mac culture that some people just don't know iTunes as well as we do.

Perhaps, but this was an extremely trollish post.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Hmm... yeah... I have to pay and then spend time to convert to a file format that will play in my player... sorry... NOT a sucker!