What if Jobs stayed instead of Sculley?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looking at where Apple was 10 years ago and comparing that company to Apple today, I can't help but wonder:

What if Jobs had gotten John Sculley fired, and not the other way around, in 1985? Where would Apple be today?

Hell, I even wonder what would have happened in Jobs was replaced, but by anybody expect Sculley. That guy really did a number on Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    More importantly, what if one of the dozens of assasination attempts on Hitler succeeded earlier in the war?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

Looking at where Apple was 10 years ago and comparing that company to Apple today, I can't help but wonder:

What if Jobs had gotten John Sculley fired, and not the other way around, in 1985? Where would Apple be today?

Hell, I even wonder what would have happened in Jobs was replaced, but by anybody expect Sculley. That guy really did a number on Apple.

Getting kicked out of Apple was probably the best wake up call for Jobs. I feel if he would have stayed, he would have destroyed Apple himself.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Getting kicked out of Apple was probably the best wake up call for Jobs. I feel if he would have stayed, he would have destroyed Apple himself.

He even basically admitted so in his Stanford commencement speech, stating "I soon realized that it was the best thing that ever happened to me".
  • Reply 4 of 8
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

More importantly, what if one of the dozens of assasination attempts on Hitler succeeded earlier in the war?

True Story: Durring the first World War when Hitler was a private in the German army, a british soldier had Hitler in the crosshairs of his gun but chose not to shoot because Hitler was wounded and thought it would therefor be unchivalrous to kill him.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

True Story: Durring the first World War when Hitler was a private in the German army, a british soldier had Hitler in the crosshairs of his gun but chose not to shoot because Hitler was wounded and thought it would therefor be unchivalrous to kill him.

If HIlter had been killed earlier, it could have only helped the Soviets. Nazi Germany actually slowed down Soviet conquest.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

If HIlter had been killed earlier, it could have only helped the Soviets. Nazi Germany actually slowed down Soviet conquest.

Yes, and many historians say the third reich was waiting to happen since the eastern germanic empire failed in establishing royal power in the 1500's... and if not Hitler, it would have happened elsewise.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I dunno, Hitler had a unique and captivating fervor that really allowed rise rise to power to occur... an evil RDF, if you will...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I dunno, Hitler had a unique and captivating fervor that really allowed rise rise to power to occur... an evil RDF, if you will...

Very true. Although -- are you willing to say that no one else could have been capable of what Hilter was capable of? We think of events in history very linearly. It's so much more complex. For instance, had hitler been killed, perhaps the third reich would be going on now at this very momment. And in terms of modern weapons compared to weapons back then, a second world war now would be that much worse.