iSight usefulnesss with PC friends

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Most of my friends are PC users. So if I got a macbook with an iSight camera, how useful would that be to me? Isn't it really just for video chatting with iChat? Can it be used with other software Windows users might have access to? If not what else can you do with it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You can use Skype 1.5 on the Mac and ask your Windows-using friends to install Skype 2.5.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Ok cool. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

You can use Skype 1.5 on the Mac and ask your Windows-using friends to install Skype 2.5.

So this allows me to do what? talk to my friends over the internet?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Voice, video, file transfer, instant messaging, calls to the regular phone system.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

Most of my friends are PC users. So if I got a macbook with an iSight camera, how useful would that be to me? Isn't it really just for video chatting with iChat? Can it be used with other software Windows users might have access to? If not what else can you do with it?

the easiest way to video conference with the pc world is with "trillian pro" running on the pc

(https://www.ceruleanstudios.com/buy/buy.php). it's only $25 bucks and a free trial version available. they need a webcam (logitech makes some decent ones for around $75.00, but there are cheaper models available too.) I have not actually done this, as i cannot get anyone with a pc too excited about video messaging. it is cool though as i have done with mac people. I even bought my son a camera and before i could buy ;the software to set him up, he sold his pc. this software is by all accounts, the easiest way to set things up.

cheers

buzz
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    The Mac version of skype does not do video at this time. There is a preview version available at that does support video chat, but Skype goes out of its way to tell us that it is only a preview. iChat works with AIM, but, having used this quite a bit recently, I will say that it is sub-optimal in quality and user experience.

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/...eopreview.html
  • Reply 7 of 13
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    why isnt the isight cam capitible with other programs. thats soo apple to do that.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

why isnt the isight cam capitible with other programs. thats soo apple to do that.

It IS compatible with whatever programs that chooses to implement it (grammar flame deleted -JL)

Ok, here'e a list of instant messengers that can use isight to communicate with PCs

AIM, with iChat itself (Older version of AIM is needed, the current AIM Triton does not work with iChat)

Trillion, costs money, but works best using the AIM protocol, goes over firewalls pretty well.

Skype, works sometime.

Yahoo! audio only.

MSN, nothing works.

Convincing your friends to get a Mac is probably a lot easier than getting video chat working between PC-Mac
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobbagum

It IS compatible with whatever programs that chooses to implement it, on a side note, why isn't your grammar compatible with English?

Ouch! Someone got pwned!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    and on a sidenote i asked my freind and he said what he meant when he said it wasnt compatible is that its not compatible with windows.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *kicks back, grabs popcorn*
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

*kicks back, grabs popcorn*

Actually, I count only one gramatical, but LOADS of spelling mistakes. And apparently his keyboard is missing an apostrophe key.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dac0nvu

Actually, I count only one gramatical, but LOADS of spelling mistakes. And apparently his keyboard is missing an apostrophe key.

and the shift key...