MacBook Queston before buying

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
1. How big of a monitor can the macbooks miniDVI power? I mean how high of resolution? I've got a 19" viewsonic widescreen LCD that is native 1440x900 right now but I'd like to upgrade to a 21" 1920x1080 screen sonner or later. Can a macbook power these two monitors?

2. Does the macbook have an S-Video output?

3. When Apple brings out the updated versions of the macbooks with the new merom processors do you think they will all still be the same price? Because really I won't be buying for another month or so anyway so maybe by then teh new ones wil be out. I'd like 64bit support.

4. Is there a way to get the black version for the same price as the white version?

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    1. Yes, it can power it. This is the base configuration: 1920 x 1200 pixels (Apple Displays supported include: 20-inch Cinema Display, 23-inch Cinema HD Display)

2. S-Video... hmmm, I don't think so (anybody know this?)

3. You never know when the prices will drop, do you?

4. No
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

2. Does the macbook have an S-Video output?

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Quote:

Composite and S-video output using mini-DVI to video adapter (sold separately)

Adapter.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Alright sounds good. One more queston for right now.

The hard drive options Apple offers are kind of expensive. Plus they don't sell the 160gig drives that are on the market now. So am I better off just getting the 60gig drive and upgrading it myself to a 160gig drive I buy somewhere else?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    Yes, but anything hard-drive related will not be covered under your warranty.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    here's a "question before buying a macbook": are the only differences between the base model and 2 ghz model the processor speed and the combo drive/super drive (without adding anything to the base configuration)?

i've already got a DVD burner on a different computer and i'm going to put a gig of ram in the 1.83 ghz model......will i be missing out on anything other than 0.17 ghz?

thanks!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    Yes, you are correct, assuming you are comparing the base white model and the upgraded white model. The only difference is the speed and the optical drive. If you look at the black base model, then the difference is the speed, optical drive, and 20gb more HD space with the black.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51

Yes, you are correct, assuming you are comparing the base white model and the upgraded white model. The only difference is the speed and the optical drive. If you look at the black base model, then the difference is the speed, optical drive, and 20gb more HD space with the black.

cool. thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I am looking at switching from Windows to Mac and I have a few questions...

1. I am looking at getting a MacBook, I am a student so i can get the free ipod (it'll go right to ebay) and printer (ebay too). However, I dont want to have the 'old' model in a month if they come out with someone new at the paris expo. What are the odds of a new macbook in the next month or two.

2. the sales rep told me i should always pair my memory in the macbook because of the integrated graphics card. Is this true, and additional info would be great?

3. I am a big Outlook user, what are my options when if i switch and how can i bring my .pst file over.

4. Is there anything else i should know?

thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    i'm in exactly the same situation as you climb guy, but i've decided i'm gunna buy the macbook today as i cannot really see that the merom chips are that much of a benefit: i dont really want 64bit proccessing until the majority of the programs i use also make use of 64bit processing.