"Macs are too expensive"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So check out this POS. A whopping $11 cheaper than the Mini it copies. You get to step "up" from a 1.42GHz Core Solo to a 1.6GHz Celeron M. 256MB of RAM, half of the Mini's skimpy 512MB. It goes the Mini's "bring your own keyboard, monitor and mouse" policy one better, with "bring your own hard drive, too." Two USB ports instead of the Mini's four. It even tries to rip off Apple packaging. What a bargain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    It has a Mini PCI slot so you can put a dedicated video card in it. I bet it also runs Windows better than Apple's current Minis run OS X. I bet it also doesn't have a retarded mechanism for opening it. I mean, putty knives for christs sake. Since when has anyone ever had to open a machine with putty knives?

I'm not saying it's a better deal and it sure is ugly but it has advantages over Apple's deal. I think Apple should start looking at competition like that and take the best of both.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It has a Mini PCI slot so you can put a dedicated video card in it.

Oh yeah, a dedicated video card in miniPCI! So many to choose from.

Quote:

I bet it also runs Windows better than Apple's current Minis run OS X.

And what brought you to make this absurd assumption?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Oh yeah, a dedicated video card in miniPCI! So many to choose from.

More than one anyway .

Quote:

The fact that I've used a new Mini with OS X and the performance sucks and I've used Windows on an old PC and performance doesn't suck. I suspect the GMA but I don't know yet. Sometimes even launching an app makes the dock animation lag like crazy.

The G4 Mini that I use is fine. I find OS X runs quite smoothly on it but not on the Intel one.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

I bet it also runs Windows better than Apple's current Minis run OS X.

As Chucker said, What brought you to this conclusion??

They run OSX better than the previous generation of minis.

I doubt you've even used one.

As for the "retarded mechinism" for opening it, Apple did not design them for user upgradeablility.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Oops, sorry, I posted that before I saw your reply

But my Mini runs fine
  • Reply 6 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Windows is usually more responsive.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    MiniPCI? How slow is that? Does anyone make a modern graphics card using PCI anymore? The last I heard, we were abandoning 8x AGP in favor of PCIe. I can't remember the last time I used a PCI video card. Wait, yes I can. It was before the turn of the millennium, ancient by computer standards. Good luck finding those MiniPCI cards. I suspect the average consumer won't be able to find one in their local CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Microcenter or even at Newegg or Zipzoomfly. By the way, while you're touting all the other advantages of the Pandora, did you notice they only have one RAM slot for a maximum of 1GB, again half of the Mini's 2GB max? Yup, that superfast video card you found for yourself will sure have that thing going like a bat out of hell. Everybody I know would gladly swap that MiniPCI slot for the RAM slot. More RAM will speed up everything and probably cost less than the rare video card you're looking for.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    All I have to say is, you do get what you pay for.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a MiniPCI card that even matches GMA 950 levels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

So install Windows on it.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

If you love windows so much, Why are you on Appleinsider??
  • Reply 11 of 30
    i'd buy it...

EXEPT ITS A COPY OF THE MAC MINI

• Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock

Has it occurred to you that people can like and dislike certain aspects of the same platform at the same time?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    The Mac mini needs a faster hard disk and more juice. The form factor is good, but it cannot be the only selling point.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101

The Mac mini needs a faster hard disk and more juice. The form factor is good, but it cannot be the only selling point.

More juice? How is a Core processor not enough?

If you put more juice in it you'd have a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

The fact that I've used a new Mini with OS X and the performance sucks and I've used Windows on an old PC and performance doesn't suck. I suspect the GMA but I don't know yet. Sometimes even launching an app makes the dock animation lag like crazy.

The G4 Mini that I use is fine. I find OS X runs quite smoothly on it but not on the Intel one.

Oh well, I have both a G4 and Core Solo Mac mini and the Core Solo is faster. Now when it comes to Photoshop, no, but that is a special case. When you complain, "launching an app makes the dock animation lag like crazy," that lag is more likely from either lack of memory or the hard drive speed then with the video card. I don't play games on the Mac but what I do graphically (Exposé and Dashboard) they are both faster with the GMA950. YMMV.

Once I'm running 2 GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM drive I expect most of my speed problems (which were the same on the G4 except for worst video performance) will be gone.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock

Think of it as a community service... education of the ignorant. We all have to do our part.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery . I prefer the original myself - Mac = the "Apple" of my eye 8)! Why do people insist on stirring up these adolescent debates ? If you prefer one platform over another, use it and enjoy. These things remind me of the long running "Ford / Chevy" rivalry . Just keep us informed on the latest developments for Apple / Linux / PC, etc., and let us peacefully coexist .
  • Reply 18 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That post just reminded me of myself four years ago.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

That post just reminded me of myself four years ago.

Out of curiosity, is this 'good, bad or indifferent \?' I plan to continue my campaign to get all computer users - platform independent - to work with, rather than against one another - I believe it would be much more productive? The whole "mine is prettier, faster, cheaper, etc." mindset is, in my opinion, so counterproductive ? The one thing it "does" do though, is perpetuate unending, fruitless controversy ?
  • Reply 20 of 30
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Can it run Mac OS? That's all I care about.

Will it run Leopard, or Tiger?