I'll benchmark my Mac Pro if you help (comes in tomorrow)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My new 2.66Ghz Mac Pro is on it's way and will get here tommorrow. It's completely stock.

I'll leave it in a factory fresh state and benchmark it if people can tell me what programs I should test on it and where to get the programs.

Please let me know.

-Tom

P.S. Mine shipped from: Middetown, PA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wow, that would be great. Try testing Xbench and see if you can find some Photoshop standard benchmarks, people are curious I think to how endurable Photoshop is on x86.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    I just got my Mac Pro in the mail a few hours. It's a totally stock system. (2.66GHZ, 1GB ram, 250GB HD, Radeon 7300GT)

I found a Photoshop test at: http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/speedtest.html???

I downloaded the files, installed the action and ran the test 5 times. My results were:

1)3:37

2)3:38

3)3:31

4)3:29

5)3:29

If you want to see how Photoshop runs comapred to what you currently have just download the files and compare it to your results.

(I did not change *any* settings in Photoshop at all such as history states, scratch diks, etc.)

Other people have been posting their results at MacRumors but many of them have been futzing with the Photoshop settings, so it may not be 100% comparable.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=200558

Originally Posted by tomhayes

My new 2.66Ghz Mac Pro is on it's way and will get here tommorrow. It's completely stock.

I'll leave it in a factory fresh state and benchmark it if people can tell me what programs I should test on it and where to get the programs.

Please let me know.

-Tom

P.S. Mine shipped from: Middetown, PA.

If you have an old PM laying around, maybe you could try using xcode to compile a sample app...or maybe an OSS project. This is a really CPU and RAM intense task so it would be a great side-by-sode.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Other people have been posting their results at MacRumors but many of them have been futzing with the Photoshop settings, so it may not be 100% comparable.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=200558

From that thread, they have the fastest available photoshop mac (a dual 2.7) w/ 4G of RAM at 78 seconds, which is roughly half of the time for the posted Mac Pro (albeit with 1G of RAM).

It's really not that bad at all, esp. when you consider that the 2X AMD 4400 X2 specs out at over three minutes.

Quite impressive.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    That PS test took over 20 minutes on my G4 Mini...holy shit I need an upgrade!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

From that thread, they have the fastest available photoshop mac (a dual 2.7) w/ 4G of RAM at 78 seconds, which is roughly half of the time for the posted Mac Pro (albeit with 1G of RAM).

It's really not that bad at all, esp. when you consider that the 2X AMD 4400 X2 specs out at over three minutes.

Quite impressive.

PS is not universal yet, is it?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Macbook Pro 2.16 100gb 7200 2gb ram:

Only ran the test once on a clean install of Photoshop CS2, an didn't bother to quit any applications (Had Safari, iChat, iTunes, Preview, and Transmission open), but here's my single result:

6:55 (or you could round up to 7)

Also my computer has been running a tad sluggish lately. I've been copying whole Library folders from computer to computer for years now, so I'm sure it's long over due to have them cleaned out. =P

- Xidius
  • Reply 8 of 19
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    I just ran the PS test on my PB and it took 17 minutes and 25 seconds. It was a clean install of PS and no other apps running. Man I need an upgrade.

Noah
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Could you encode a DVD using Handbrake?

MP4 File

Mpeg 4 Video/ AAC Audio

Target Size: 1800MB

Audio 192kbps

An iMac Core Duo 1.83Ghz 1GB RAM gets 60fps average on this (so roughly 40minutes per DVD), be interesting to see what Mac Pros get!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj

Could you encode a DVD using Handbrake?

MP4 File

Mpeg 4 Video/ AAC Audio

Target Size: 1800MB

Audio 192kbps

An iMac Core Duo 1.83Ghz 1GB RAM gets 60fps average on this (so roughly 40minutes per DVD), be interesting to see what Mac Pros get!

I didn't do that, but I was making a backup of a movie I own using Toast 7.1.

The movie: Syriana Widescreen Edition

How was it ripped: MacTheRipper

Size of output folder: 7.21GB (7,739,791,360 bytes)

How it was compressed: Toast Titanium 7.1

Time to compress: 11:22 seconds

If you own Syriana and Toast you can repeat this exactly
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well, erm, I hardly think downloading handbrake (it is free afterall) and ripping a DVD using that was too much to ask

It is the best DVD ripping application/solution out there for the mac, not to mention a good benchmark tool (considering it tells you the fps you're ripping the DVD at).

Ah well, nevermind, I don't have Syriana. Have fun with your new toy.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    It seems like the owner of that website ran out of bandwidth. Does someone have the install file for the benchmark testing they could send to me? I can then host it with no problems for everyone else... Send me a PM or reply here. Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51

It seems like the owner of that website ran out of bandwidth. Does someone have the install file for the benchmark testing they could send to me? I can then host it with no problems for everyone else... Send me a PM or reply here. Thanks in advance!

Try this: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...FC38BC46BF3E92
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Try this: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...FC38BC46BF3E92

Thanks! I got it working on my system (MBP 2.16ghz, 2gb, 100gb 7200 rpm) and my time was: 4:45.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    [QUOTE=tomhayes]I just got my Mac Pro in the mail a few hours. It's a totally stock system. (2.66GHZ, 1GB ram, 250GB HD, Radeon 7300GT)

My results were:

Yeah I got an imac 1.83 GHz, 2 gb...and got the time of 6:35 for the test. It does for now and comparing to a mac pro is a no brainer. I will be using a lot of Geo Info System software soon and so will look into getting something more powerful such as the mac pro especially if it can raster images as quickly as the results would indicate for speed tests...
  • Reply 16 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    [QUOTE=stryked]
    Quote:

I just got my Mac Pro in the mail a few hours. It's a totally stock system. (2.66GHZ, 1GB ram, 250GB HD, Radeon 7300GT)

My results were:

Yeah I got an imac 1.83 GHz, 2 gb...and got the time of 6:35 for the test. It does for now and comparing to a mac pro is a no brainer. I will be using a lot of Geo Info System software soon and so will look into getting something more powerful such as the mac pro especially if it can raster images as quickly as the results would indicate for speed tests...

And remember, PS is emmulated on the MP right now, so IIRC, it can only use one proc -- 2 cores, and the emmulation its self slows things down: I predict a 50% reduction in the Macpros time on this benchmark upon the release of a UB PS.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Why are you guys using a PPC binary to benchmark an Intel Mac?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Because Photoshop performance is something a lot of potential Mac Pro buyers are gonna be worrying about.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Because Photoshop performance is something a lot of potential Mac Pro buyers are gonna be worrying about.

Correct. Also many people currently run several non-native programs under Rosetta.