Going to France in October...relaxing vacation spots?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Do you know of any relaxing vacation spots in France? I am on a time crunch to get this figured out. My wife is going back to Paris, she goes a lot, and I am going to tag along a week later to meet up and then we are wanting to head to a spot that is relaxing and stress free.

Soemthing where we can just hang out and do nothing (maybe roam around a little in town). Much like a beach vacation so many in here in the US take.

Can you reccomend a spot in France?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Saint Tropez and/or Marseille... stay away from Paris.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    You lucky duck. I wish I was going. I've heard that the Mediterranean coast is nice, and I've also heard good things about Lyon. It's not on the beach but if I remember correctly it's close to the Alps.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Umm... Marseille's a big, smelly city with tons o' crime... you won't be able to enjoy the great restaurants and music and all the other things Marseille has to offer if you don't know anyone there. Stress-free it absolutely ain't. St Tropez's likely to be full of toursits, in the season, and is going to cost you lots of money to really enjoy.

Go to the Lot (central plateau), which seems to have been missed by tourists: pick a little town, go random, put yourself up in a hotel. Google. Stay on the Dordogne, even, which can be paradisiacal.

Go south, find somewhere in the Alpes Maritimes... yes, go to the Alps. Google for a gite or a hotel 'nestling in the foothills of the Alps' and go and stay there!

France rocks.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Umm... Marseille's a big, smelly city with tons o' crime... you won't be able to enjoy the great restaurants and music and all the other things Marseille has to offer if you don't know anyone there. Stress-free it absolutely ain't. St Tropez's likely to be full of toursits, in the season, and is going to cost you lots of money to really enjoy.

Go to the Lot (central plateau), which seems to have been missed by tourists: pick a little town, go random, put yourself up in a hotel. Google. Stay on the Dordogne, even, which can be paradisiacal.

Go south, find somewhere in the Alpes Maritimes... yes, go to the Alps. Google for a gite or a hotel 'nestling in the foothills of the Alps' and go and stay there!

France rocks.

I love the Basque country, but it's just me. That's said it was also the case of Orson wells.

Saint Jean de Luz is a very nice place. There is many bed and breakfeast around.

If you like spiced food, this place might be for you (espellet piment)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Umm... Marseille's a big, smelly city with tons o' crime... you won't be able to enjoy the great restaurants and music and all the other things Marseille has to offer if you don't know anyone there.

I could say that about ANY maringally big or big city in the world... yet there is a BIG difference between Moscow, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, and New York.

Quote:

St Tropez's likely to be full of toursits, in the season, and is going to cost you lots of money to really enjoy.

Depends on where you go in St. Tropez.

Quote:

Alps can be very expensive as well... especially French Alps.

Quote:

France rocks.

Especially if you remove all of the French people from there!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Umm... I was just voicing my opinion based on my experience.

I always thought that Marseille was a big, smelly shit-hole, by any standards not the most pleasant city in the world, and if you were going to go that far south you might as well go to Aix, which is gorgeous, or Arles, if you wanted to go to a town that was relaxing. Even Perpignan is much nicer. Seriously, St Tropez's not all that. If you want relaxing on the French riviera, go to Nice, which has cheap pizzas and far friendlier people. In my experience.

The Lac St Michel (I think it's called) right on the Alpes is lovely. You can scamper up the foothills of the Alps and you're in proper wilderness in no time.

France rocks, with the French in it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Any place there is a nude beach.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skatman

Especially if you remove all of the French people from there!

Do you include me ?

Marseille use to be a nice plane thirty years ago. I fear it's not the same anymore. Aix is certainly a much better place (never visited Arles).

There is too much people in Saint Tropez, but if you love celebrities, and People, this is the right place to go.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would like to be able to walk out on my back porch of wherever we stay and see a beach, snow covered mountains, or something awful freekn cool and have a lot of quite. I want to sit there in a comfy chair and just stare at all for a week and then go home.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

I would like to be able to walk out on my back porch of wherever we stay and see a beach, snow covered mountains, or something awful freekn cool and have a lot of quite. I want to sit there in a comfy chair and just stare at all for a week and then go home.

Well shit. Just come to Utah.