How much do current Intel Dual Core Xeon Processors sell for separately?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My brother said he found it for around $300.....

He might be totally wrong....

I did some searching myself, but I have no idea what I'm looking at when I see the prices and stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117072 ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    That's not a woodcrest.

You have to find a 51xx .

I believe you can find out if you snoop around intel's site, They are required by law now to disclose their price (bascially most likely anyone from apple -> dell are paying the same).

I think an Ars article had a link to it.

But the 2.66ghz is about $800-ish already. So the MacPro's are totally not lining apple's pockets this time around.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yeah, thanks. Found that out through MR.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Does anyone know whether the Mac Pro board will work if I take one proc out? Like, if I develop a drug habit, I can pop one out and sell it?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It should. They sell dual-socket Xeon boards with one processor from Dell...

My question: can I mix and match, like have a Woodcrest and a Kentsfield or something (I don't think so)

Lastly, Intel's 1000-lot prices are public. Apple buys in bigger lots than that (probably 10k at a time), and thus may get a better price.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

My question: can I mix and match, like have a Woodcrest and a Kentsfield or something (I don't think so)

I wicked doubt it. Most things like that have to be symmetrical.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    There was once a test done with a dual-core and single-core Opteron, but I don't recall the results, and I can't find it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    The prime candidate for the high-end Pro Mac workstation would be the Xeon 5160. It's clocked at 3.0GHz (enabling Steve Jobs to finally reach the magic 3.0GHz number—albeit two years late and on an entirely different architecture) and has a 1333MHz FSB. It's also pricey: US$851 in quantities of 1,000. Now that Intel has a one-price-for-everybody model, Apple shouldn't count on any deep discounts. So we're looking at US$1,700 for the processors alone. Add in another US$400 or so for a high-end video card, another US$400-500 for the motherboard, and the price rapidly escalates—perhaps beyond the US$3,299 of the current Quad G5. That could mean Xeon 5150. That's still a respectable 2.66GHz and is US$161 cheaper than the 5160.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed.../promacs.ars/4

best retail price for a 5150 is about $720
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Yes, the 2.66 Mac Pro uses a 5150 and the 3.00 Mac Pro uses a 5160.