cable lock opinions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just bought a Targus cable lock for my macbook. It looks to me that it will do more harm than provide protection. It looks like it could easily be pulled out of the slot, likely cracking or breaking the plastic housing. Does anyone else use this type of security device? I will be leaving for college in three weeks, and the college recommened some sort of security device. Are ther other alternatives?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    No one has an opinion, or tried one of the cable locks?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnr750

No one has an opinion, or tried one of the cable locks?

This is unofficial, off the record and so on, but in my experiance with cable-locks as an AV tech at college, they are pretty much a joke...snip snip...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    it gives you peace of mind, but like everything else, cars, homes, etc. If someone wants it or something in it, they're going to take it. If they don't have cablecutters with them, maybe they'll go get some, maybe they'll just try to break it off, of course, then there's a hole in the computer. It will most likely stop random theivery. Will not stop planned thievery. Something is coming to my mind about an ounce of prevention. seriously though, it's true, your mileage may vary, yours may get jacked, it may not. who knows.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomj

it gives you peace of mind, but like everything else, cars, homes, etc. If someone wants it or something in it, they're going to take it. If they don't have cablecutters with them, maybe they'll go get some, maybe they'll just try to break it off, of course, then there's a hole in the computer. It will most likely stop random theivery. Will not stop planned thievery. Something is coming to my mind about an ounce of prevention. seriously though, it's true, your mileage may vary, yours may get jacked, it may not. who knows.

This is the story with every kind of security. The Targus lock (I use one) means you can leave the room to get to the bathroom and not have to worry about someone slipping your comp. in their backback and walking off. Should you leave it in an open place over night-categorically no.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thanks all for your advice. I'm thinking I will return the cable lock, and recognize that I must take appropriate care or suffer the consequenses. It just looks to me that the cable lock is more of a liabillity than a comfort. With the plastic case of the Macbook, I think an inadvertant bump on the cable lock could do more damage (break the plastic) than good. I'm not even sure the lock is enough of a deterant to a thief for "the trip to the bathroom". If it could be broken off as easily as it looks it would take no longer to break off the lock and slip it into a back pack than to just slip it into the back pack (without cable lock).

John
  • Reply 6 of 6
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnr750

Thanks all for your advice. I'm thinking I will return the cable lock, and recognize that I must take appropriate care or suffer the consequenses. It just looks to me that the cable lock is more of a liabillity than a comfort. With the plastic case of the Macbook, I think an inadvertant bump on the cable lock could do more damage (break the plastic) than good. I'm not even sure the lock is enough of a deterant to a thief for "the trip to the bathroom". If it could be broken off as easily as it looks it would take no longer to break off the lock and slip it into a back pack than to just slip it into the back pack (without cable lock).

John

I have an aluminum powerbook so I don't know about the plastic case. But I think that the lock slot is reinforced somehow otherwise it wouldn't make much sense as a lock. I don't know. I got my lock free anyway, if I had had to pay for it I probably wouldn't have bought one...