Wondering how difficult it would be to do this

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
We have Address Book on the Mac. Since it is a little database if you will. How difficult would it be to add the ability to add another database.

For instance, I like cooking and collect recipes. It would be neat to have another data base in the Address Book that I can add fields of my own choosing.

they would probably have to rename the application, but I think it would be a great way to add more functionality instead of installing specific apps for recipes or other things that are simple in nature.

What do you think? Is this something that people would like? Is it easy for Apple to impelment?

How about taking the Movie and TV functionality of Sherlock and turning that into an appl.. I know they have something similar in Dashboard, but what I have seen so far isn't as good as what they had in Sherlock or Watson. I think it would be great thing to add to the iLife Suite or just a part of the OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    There are such things as database software....hmmm
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Core Data should be able to handle just about anything. It's based on SQLite.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I bet you can find plenty of good freeware for cataloging recipes.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    "AppleWorks"
  • Reply 5 of 10
    How about this...

http://www.advenio.com/macgourmet/index.html

not only is it exactly what you're asking for, it's integrated with .Mac allowing you to easily share, import, publish, etc recipes. And they offer a free demo.

(and no, I have NO affiliation with this company)

hope this helps!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The app my wife uses to keep (literally) thousands of recipes is Yum! (yes, with exclamation point), and as a developer, I find it to be a nicely done app. Their tech support is *really* responsive too. We ran into a bug, mailed them late one night, and by the next morning we had a link to an internal build with a fix, just for us.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I am just wondering why Address Book can't become this type of app. I mean Address Book is basically a flat file database. I just want to use as few different apps.

Also, has anyone found anything to replace the Movie and TV functionality of Sherlock or Watson? The widgets on Dashboard so far kinda suck in comparison and I really liked what Sherlock and Watson did, but they are pretty much gone in terms of this type of thing.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by concentricity

How about this...

http://www.advenio.com/macgourmet/index.html

not only is it exactly what you're asking for, it's integrated with .Mac allowing you to easily share, import, publish, etc recipes. And they offer a free demo.

(and no, I have NO affiliation with this company)

hope this helps!

this looks great, i just wish Address Book could become this type of app. I just like to use as few apps as possible. I will check it out. I want to keep track of my CD/video collection, recipes and eventually my art collection.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank

I am just wondering why Address Book can't become this type of app. I mean Address Book is basically a flat file database. I just want to use as few different apps.

Also, has anyone found anything to replace the Movie and TV functionality of Sherlock or Watson? The widgets on Dashboard so far kinda suck in comparison and I really liked what Sherlock and Watson did, but they are pretty much gone in terms of this type of thing.

Storing recipes in Address book would be kind of a weird combo. Call Jeff and bake him a really great apple fritter at the same time!

Seriously if you want something as simple as address book for recipes, you could probably put one together in an evening. In addition, with CoreData, Cocoa Bindings, and Interface Builder you might even be able to do it without having to write a single line of code.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    If one could build a new database with user defineable lines in Address Book that is all that is needed. Mail and iCal, and other apps could use which ever data file selected. I don't think it would be too wierd. Maybe it is just me. ;-)

PS. I haven't made Apple Fritters. How about some Chinese food? Hot and Sour Garlic Chicken? My own little recipe. Yum!