Briefly: Apple preparing for fall product launches

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's been less than a week since Apple Computer used its annual developers conference to make several new product announcements, but once again sources are finding themselves encapsulated by the warm fuzzy feeling that typically emerges around the lead-in to major product revelations.

Based on various reports from around the world, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company this week is placing WWDC '06 in the rear-view mirror and shifting gears towards its fall product line refreshes, which are due to start turning up next month.

High-Security Freight Shipments

In particular, the company this week is said to be preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that are due to drop in the United States around the 5th of September.

Although sources were not specific as to what product(s) Apple is planning to move, the timeframe of the shipments coincides nicely with dates in which the Mac maker is believed to be ready to roll with its first Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro notebook systems.

iPod nano Line Nearing End-of-Life

Meanwhile, inventory management systems tied to at least one US-based big-box retailer are reflecting end-of-life notices for Apple's entire iPod nano product line on September 16th. Again, no further details on the subject were readily available.

However, September 16th is the precise date in which Apple's "Free iPod nano" back-to-school promotion is set to expire. This date also coincides with timeframes provided by sources in previous reports pertaining to the expected availability of the company's next-generation iPod nano.

Seagate Boasts of 120GB 1.8-inch Portable Hard Drives

In a tidbit so far unrelated any published reports on Apple's future product plans, Seagate CEO William Watkins recently told BusinessWeek that his company plans to introduce 1.8-inch drives in 60GB and 120GB capacities during the December calendar quarter.

1.8-inch portable hard drives are the same form factor drives used in Apple's current fifth-generation video iPod players. Seagate was previously a major component supplier to Apple during the days of the iPod mini, in which it equipped the company with 4GB, 5GB (capped by software at 4GB), and 6GB microdrives.

However, reading into Seagate's future product plans has not been fail-safe indicator of Apple's own product directions. For instance, in June of last year many believed Seagate's 8GB microdrive would find its way into an iPod mini update. Apple subsequently did away with the microdrive-based iPod mini altogether, introducing the completely NAND flash memory-based iPod nano that September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    So should I mark down Sept. 12 (Mac Expo Paris) or Sept. 19th as the intro day for the long over due nano?

Which brings up a new question, will Apple keep the Nano name? Or do away with it like the mini??
  • Reply 2 of 48
    I thought that I'd say that what seems to be the UK equivalent of the 'Free iPod Nano', '£100 off an iPod', finishes on October 7th.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent

So should I mark down Sept. 12 (Mac Expo Paris) or Sept. 19th as the intro day for the long over due nano?

Which brings up a new question, will Apple keep the Nano name? Or do away with it like the mini??

September 19 is Tuesday and Tuedays are favorite introduction days.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    High Security Freight Shipments...

Hopefully one of them has a Conroe iMac in it.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Benton,

Are you trying to answer his question?

I think he wanted to know whether the 12th or the 19th is a good day. BOTH are Tuesdays.

Well, the 12th. Expo will certainly release something. It's just that no one knows what it is.

Apple's not going to release something on the 19th if they just did on the 12th. At least a major, headlining product anyway.

Here's my timeframe: (I'm not including details as to what will be 'new' about the product)

Apple Expo Paris (Sept. 12th):

New MacBookPro

New iMac

'New' hardware that was in the pipelines that was never expected

Early October:

Quiet xserve release

Late October:

Apple Special Event releasing new iPods + iTunes updates

MacWorld:

Next Leopard Preview

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In particular, the company this week is said to be preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that are due to drop in the United States around the 5th of September.

Although sources were not specific as to what product(s) Apple is planning to move, the timeframe of the shipments coincides nicely with dates in which the Mac maker is believed to be ready to roll with its first Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro notebook systems.

Macbook Pros are possible, although I would vote for the next generation iPod Nano / iPod Video as the high-security "massive air-freight shipments from the Far East" - those things are going to sell like hotcakes. Apple's huge price drop for "refurbished" iPods, in my opinion, is a red flag for a new generation. A Merom-based Macbook Pro will sell well, but massive shipments??? Of course, a redesigned Macbook Pro is a different story...
  • Reply 7 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I just love the phrase massive shipments... it sounds so... so.... satisfying.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShadowX

A Merom-based Macbook Pro will sell well, but massive shipments???

Yes. The demand for Mac Books and Mac Book Pro models will be so high from my research that I don't think Apple will be able to keep up with quarterly demand at the end of the year. They need MASSIVE shipments.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    massive secret shipments? ..... yes, you know it... iWalk!!!! or better yet Pippin 360!!
  • Reply 10 of 48
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    McHuman

"The demand for Mac Books and Mac Book Pro models will be so high from my research that I don't think Apple will be able to keep up with quarterly demand at the end of the year. They need MASSIVE shipments. "

McHuman Could you clarify/elaborate. "Your research". Please share. I'm intrigued.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    I read: "the company this week is said to be preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that are due to drop in the United States" and pictured C-130s with People's Liberation Army markings. Additonal images of boxes with parachutes being shoved out the back.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Sweeet...I was gonna buy a MBP but now im going to wait it out. Now i just have to decide between glossy or matte. I spent 30 mins in the store comparing them but still cannot make up my mind...
  • Reply 13 of 48
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bballdude0507

Sweeet...I was gonna buy a MBP but now im going to wait it out. Now i just have to decide between glossy or matte. I spent 30 mins in the store comparing them but still cannot make up my mind...

Go with glossy if you don't plan to use outside. My wife has the glossy MB, and I love using it sometimes just for the screen, even though I have a MBP.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    I am hoping for an iMac update in the Massive Shipments...

Though I would guess that the iPods are more likely the bulk of the air shipment candidates.

re. the comment on MacBook Pro screens, "glossy or matte" --

I have tried them in the Apple store, found the glare reflections coming off the glossy screen way too visible and DISTRACTING (IMO). My thought: WHAT WAS APPLE THINKING? Seriously, i could not buy a glossy screen as it would drive me buggy. At least on the MBPro model you have the option of BTO no-gloss-matte screen. MBook are stuck with gloss-glare.

(Anyone remember when anti-glare was the new design edge for all new monitors and only old stuff was the glare reflecting kind?)

My suggestion for the name of this new step-backwards screen is:

MacBook Mirrored Screen (TM).

with the selling talk point: "Now you can check your hair and makeup right from the MacBook Mirrored Screen (TM) before activating the iChat iSight camera! No more rushing off to the restroom to use a mirror -- Now it's Built-In! "

ok, enough on that.........
  • Reply 15 of 48
    rinninrinnin Posts: 22member
    OMG. Has it been almost a whole year since the nano came out without a single refresh?

As I remember, last year Apple did the back-to-school promo with a free iPod mini and half way through they released the nano. Unfortunately that promo wouldnt allow money off the nano, only the mini. I'm about to buy my 1st ever brand new Mac, as in a Macbook (previously owned 3 2nd hand iMacs & eMate) and have a feeling that as soon as I do there'll be a faster, cooler running, matte screen one out the next week.

Thats usually my luck.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho

Benton,

Are you trying to answer his question?

I think he wanted to know whether the 12th or the 19th is a good day. BOTH are Tuesdays.

Well, the 12th. Expo will certainly release something. It's just that no one knows what it is.

Apple's not going to release something on the 19th if they just did on the 12th. At least a major, headlining product anyway.

Here's my timeframe: (I'm not including details as to what will be 'new' about the product)

Apple Expo Paris (Sept. 12th):

New MacBookPro

New iMac

Early October:

Quiet xserve release

Late October:

Apple Special Event releasing new iPods + iTunes updates

MacWorld:

Next Leopard Preview

-=|Mgkwho

I agree completely with the exception to the "new" hardware stuff. The only thing I could see is the iPhone, maybe. Then again, I guess that's why you said "'New' hardware that was in the pipelines that was never expected." I would bet my first born son that the date of release for new iPod+iTunes will be in October.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    let's hope they put an nVidia or Ati card inside the mini, or lower prices for the macbook pro, for Pete' sakes!
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bballdude0507

I would go for the matte display. My mum decided not to listen to me and decided to buy a non apple notebook. It has a glossy display and when using it outside in the sun its really difficult to see whats on the screen.

I really want a mb the size is great for me but it doesn't have a matte option for the screen so I have to save for a mbp.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I really wanted to get a MB or MBP for all of my travel in the next couple of weeks. Of course I am not dumb enough to buy a Mac this close to Paris.

Is it good that Apple is really waiting for Paris though? There aren't expos year-round. Intel updates chips all the time (apparently). I'm not sure it is great to sit on a Core 2 Duo refresh to the MBP for an additional month while other companies are already announcing/releasing theirs.

I don't know... Not sure they will wait so long. I can see a refresh in the next couple of Tuesdays. Just leaves more Paris time for cool new stuff
  • Reply 20 of 48
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I wonder if the new Meron based MBP's will have a new case? Seems like it might be the time to do it.

- Mark