Apple: Steve is in good health

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite recent rumors to the contrary, Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs remains in good health, an Apple spokesperson said this week.

Following Jobs' appearance at last week's Apple World Wide Developers Conference, several online news and blog sites expressed concerns about the Apple co-founder's health, as he appeared to have shed considerable weight since prior public appearances.

The reports also questioned why Jobs, who often relishes in the limelight of his keynote speeches, delegated a large portion of his WWDC presentation to other capable but less compelling Apple speakers.

"Steve's health is robust and we have no idea where these rumors are coming from," Apple's VP of worldwide corporate communications, Katie Cotton, told Information Week in response to the reports.

Still, the concerns over Jobs' health were not without basis. In August of 2004, he underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his pancreas.

In an email to Apple employees at the time, Jobs said he was diagnosed with a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which is typically cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (which his was).

Jobs took a leave from his duties at Apple that August in order to recuperate but returned to work the following month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That word, robust, is back again. This was a hot phrase at the beginning of the Gulf War. Trendy PR & marketing terms ultimately rendered meaningless by overuse.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Long live Jobs!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Long live Castro!
  • Reply 4 of 31
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member
    Yay!!!

-Owl
  • Reply 5 of 31
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    long live pudding!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    In all seriousness, I'm still amazed by the fact that the same Steve Jobs that started Apple (albeit with the technical wizardry of Woz) with a single PCB in a garage became the CEO of not one, but two wallstreet darlings.

Regardless of what you think of him personally, he's definitely an inspiration.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    I thought he looked a bit tired, but then apparently the rehearsals for a keynote go on for days, and the huge undertaking of a WWDC takes its toll. Lose even a few hours per sleep for a for nights and anyone can look worse for wear.

I think the delegation was largely because there was a lot to get through, some of it was technical, and remembering such a long script (the transcriptions of the keynote are quite long) is not easy, and Jobs's talents are probably better spent elsewhere.

It's also possible semi-personal worries are taking their toll: this options scandal could have a negative impact for key Apple execs, including Jobs. If I had an Enron type scandal hanging over me, I think I'd look pretty haggard too. He may even have a sick kid at home.

I guess we'll know in a few months when the 6G iPod and/or iPod Phone edition are presented. If Jobs delegates THAT task to a cool young dude who says "no worries" a bit too casually, THEN we'll know Apple's emperor has lost his clothes.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    People need to realize that Apple is a far different company today than it was even just a year ago. The amount of stuff they are working on now must be insane, and besides, at these developer conferences - attendees want to hear the techies speak. As well, Bertrads appearance was just to slam Microsoft and Vista, and Schiller always helps out - so I don't see the big deal.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    you mean, to "recupertino-ate"

HAR HAR
  • Reply 10 of 31
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

In all seriousness, I'm still amazed by the fact that the same Steve Jobs that started Apple (albeit with the technical wizardry of Woz) with a single PCB in a garage became the CEO of not one, but two wallstreet darlings.

Regardless of what you think of him personally, he's definitely an inspiration.

Three, in fact... Apple, Pixar, and NeXt... He's got an incredible amount of vision and business acumen.

EDIT: Sorry, I got carried away and missed the part about "Wallstreet darlings." I don't know if NeXt was a wallstreet darling but these three were great companies that have really pushed innovation forward. I couldn't really care less about what "wallstreet" thinks, but that's just me...
  • Reply 11 of 31
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Good news! I'm glad to hear he's all right...

It always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when Apple responds to our concerns expressed on boards like this one. Makes you think they're really listening.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut

People need to realize that Apple is a far different company today than it was even just a year ago. The amount of stuff they are working on now must be insane, and besides, at these developer conferences - attendees want to hear the techies speak. As well, Bertrads appearance was just to slam Microsoft and Vista, and Schiller always helps out - so I don't see the big deal.

Yeah most of what the technologists had to say was rather technical. Steve will put it in lamens terms at Macworld SF 07
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Well, if he really was not doing well, wouldn't it be necessary to notify the public or shareholders in good time? I read that he (and other people at that level) must legally undergo a physical examination annually, which is how the cancer was found.

It's no fun to think of, but Apple really depend a lot on Steve. If he falls away, Apple would be back to their old stale ways again in a few years.

I don't think he looked that great in the keynote, but it could have been something about disappointment about scrapped presentations of great stuff that just wasn't finished in time for the keynote.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Well, I really hope that's true, but honestly I have to say, I saw it too. Jobs looked noticeably different than his last public appearance, and also seemed to be having trouble remembering his train of thought at several moments. It was out of character for a guy known for his remarkable speaking skills. Whether he's got a deeper health issue or not, he definitely wasn't on the ball that day, and that's a pretty rare miss for Jobs.

Jobs is the heart and soul of Apple. The company slowly withered away without him (even though it had talented engineers and great products), and surged back to life and prosperity when he returned. I don't think there's anyone who could fill that guy's shoes, and in a way it's a bit scary. What would Apple do without him?

Microsoft has enormous amounts of very talented people too. The reason they can't seem to get anything right is that it lacks a true visionary. It's obvious Gates was no visionary, and with him mostly out of the picture, that leaves Ballmer and his monkey dances. No wonder so many of the company's efforts turn out to be a huge joke.

My point is, no matter how many bright, passionate, talented people you have, you need a visionary to navigate the ship. I really hope Jobs' health is as good as Apple says -- but it's pretty obvious why they'd want to say that, even if he wasn't doing so well. Let's all hope for the best, cause -- whatever you think of the guy as a person -- he's what makes it all happen. Long live Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Indeed. Jobs is vital to Apple, and the market knows this. Tell them too much and watch real trouble come about as a result. Doubtless, the typical Jobsian secrecy would be in effect here just as much as it is with new products being kept under wraps. We can wish him well and hope he's alright, but we can't really know. The line of succession issue at Apple really is that tricky.

By the way, my "vote" is for Jon Ive if it should ever happen in the next few years. But it's so true that no one can quite fill Steve's shoes. No one we've seen yet. Eventually they're going to have to sort that out, don't ask me how!
  • Reply 16 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henrikmk

Well, if he really was not doing well, wouldn't it be necessary to notify the public or shareholders in good time?

If it is long term or potentialy faital, yes, if it is too little sleep, a cold, a touch of flu, or a bad batch of food the night before or something like that; nope.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Sorry, but I don't buy it. I do hope that Steve Jobs IS in good health. However, he sure doesn't look like he is. I am not comforted by a PR BS job saying everything is all well and fine. C'mon. Do you really think if he was sick that Apple would be completely forthright and come right out and say so? Not right away. If this is nothing more than idle speculation, great. If not, it's a scary thought.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    People grow older with time. It's what they do.

You don't have to be sick to look different as time passes.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

If it is long term or potentialy faital, yes, if it is too little sleep, a cold, a touch of flu, or a bad batch of food the night before or something like that; nope.

I will say that his health has been on my mind for a while now. It was interesting to see this article show up about now. The things that stand out to me the most is the way he looked at the 5th ave. store opening. He looked very pale, and very thin. Maybe the flu, maybe stress, maybe both. Then when I saw him at the WWDC. This is what made me very concerned. It looked to me as if he had the overgrown growth on his face to hide his extreme loss of weight and facial color. His clothes were hanging on him as clothes covering a skeleton. He looked very frail. I do not buy into any PR responses that may arise about how shocked they are to hear that people actually noticed. Maybe it is time that Steve tries to eat a little meat from time to time. I don't know. This man is one of the most brilliant men I have seen in my lifetime. I have the ut-most respect for Steve and what he has accomplished. I also realize that if the word was out he was not well, well..... I believe that the stock would fall to nothing. All of the steps forward would quickly be for not, and if anything could kill Steve Jobs, watching that would. I pray for him at least twice a week. I hope that he is here to see the fruits of his labor come to be. I hope that he has sufficient time to find his replacements, and to have the system within his company carry forth what he has put into motion. Eventually his time will come, but it is much too soon now. May God Bless you Steve Jobs, as I believe he already has.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Steve should be grooming a successor. He probably is. He can't be around forever.