OMG its happening. Snowball Ripple Halo effect...whatever you want to call it.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Recently a lot of my friends have purchased Macs. Mostly Mac laptops. I know at least 10. Even one hardcore Winfanboy. Maybe the laptop thing has to do with 4.1 MILLION dell batteries being recalled. LOL. Anyways - Jobs said it in the Keynote: Laptop Marketshare in the US from 6% to 12%. Thats signifficant. I think it is finally happening. People are buying Macs like they bought iPods.

As they say, "Another one bites the dust."

Edits: (wow I must have been tired)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Laptop marketshare in the US, went from 6% to 12%. There's still the matter of the total, global marketshare.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Maybe the laptop thing has to do with 4.1 dell batteries being recalled.

Wow, a whole 4.1 batteries?

But yeah, a fair number of my friends are looking at the MacBook with quite some interest. They own iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

Laptop marketshare in the US, went from 6% to 12%. There's still the matter of the total, global marketshare.

I knew it was Laptop/US. It just didn't get from head to post.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Anywasy -- my hope is that this is just the begining.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Laptop market share in US retail, mind you. Online sales don't count, which almost completely counts out Dell.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Laptop market share in US retail, mind you. Online sales don't count, which almost completely counts out Dell.

Which is still nice, but a far cry from a real 6% jump in market share.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

Which is still nice, but a far cry from a real 6% jump in market share.

Yep. Still, it's without doubt a sign that the "market share keeps shrinking" times seem over.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Yeah. I'll chime in that I was the only Mac user in my 3D class, and one of my classmates spontaneously just bought a MB. Half my classmates have iPods. Go Apple.

PS the new Quad Xeons would be monsters for rendering 3D... if Autodesk would release a UB Maya 8... bastards...
  • Reply 9 of 20
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Maybe the laptop thing has to do with 4.1 MILLION dell batteries being recalled. LOL.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but Apple uses the same Sony batteries as Dell and is currently evaluating the safety of them according to CNBC.\
  • Reply 10 of 20
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Retail includes online sales - not including it would hurt Apple alot, since they get tons of sales from Amazon and the apple store. What it does not include is value-added resellers and business direct sales.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I'll agree with this too. For years I have been trying to convince my brother-in-law to take a look at Apple. Last year he finally got an iMac and loves it. His reasoning was that when he was in college he had the extra time to mess around and fix all the things that would go wrong with his Windows box. Now that he has a job and family he has less time to play "tech-support-guru" in his own house. He kept the XP computer for a few months, but once he realized that no one was using it, they got rid of it. The iMac has been running strong ever since.

He in turn convinced his parents to get a Mac mini. Again...he was tired of going to their house and trying to get their computer up and running every time he paid a visit. Plugged in the mini and no problems since.

All of my siblings have also bought Macs in the past year (one mini and one MacBook). All told, I can think of 6 or 7 people who have switched over in the past year. I'm sure that some of this has to do with iPod sales (all the people mentioned above have one), but also with people just getting sick of having to fix their Windows machine all the time.

The next 2 years will be an interesting time for Apple. Once the Intel transistion is over (for both Apple and the Developers) people can truly begin to take advantage of the new tech. Also factor in continued iPod sales, the new OS and the troubles Microsoft has been having with Vista and Apple looks to be in a very strong position. The ball is starting to roll a bit. Let's hope that they take advantage of it.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk

I'll agree with this too. For years I have been trying to convince my brother-in-law to take a look at Apple. Last year he finally got an iMac and loves it. His reasoning was that when he was in college he had the extra time to mess around and fix all the things that would go wrong with his Windows box. Now that he has a job and family he has less time to play "tech-support-guru" in his own house. He kept the XP computer for a few months, but once he realized that no one was using it, they got rid of it. The iMac has been running strong ever since.

He in turn convinced his parents to get a Mac mini. Again...he was tired of going to their house and trying to get their computer up and running every time he paid a visit. Plugged in the mini and no problems since.

All of my siblings have also bought Macs in the past year (one mini and one MacBook). All told, I can think of 6 or 7 people who have switched over in the past year. I'm sure that some of this has to do with iPod sales (all the people mentioned above have one), but also with people just getting sick of having to fix their Windows machine all the time.

The next 2 years will be an interesting time for Apple. Once the Intel transistion is over (for both Apple and the Developers) people can truly begin to take advantage of the new tech. Also factor in continued iPod sales, the new OS and the troubles Microsoft has been having with Vista and Apple looks to be in a very strong position. The ball is starting to roll a bit. Let's hope that they take advantage of it.

One year ago, had I told one of my friends to "buy a mac", they would be like, UHH LEME THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SEC... NO!". Now it's like, "How much and where?"
  • Reply 13 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It'd be nice if AutoDesk released AutoCAD too.. Oh and I want ArcGIS for Christmas too Uncle Steve!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zedrac

Wow, a whole 4.1 batteries?

My MBP runs fine with 9 tenths of a battery.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I've convinced four of my friends, not including my girlfriend, to get Macs. I run a small out-of-the-garage computer repair business, kinda like Geek Squad. Whenever I go to a client's house, I do a spyware/adware/virus cleanup, etc. If I have to do a reformat (which is pretty much every time), I end up bringing my PowerBook along so I can download the appropriate drivers for them.

At that point, they express their interest in the laptop, as it looks nothing like their boring beige tower..
  • Reply 16 of 20
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knee Of Justice

I've convinced four of my friends, not including my girlfriend, to get Macs. I run a small out-of-the-garage computer repair business, kinda like Geek Squad. Whenever I go to a client's house, I do a spyware/adware/virus cleanup, etc. If I have to do a reformat (which is pretty much every time), I end up bringing my PowerBook along so I can download the appropriate drivers for them.

At that point, they express their interest in the laptop, as it looks nothing like their boring beige tower..

You are killing the goose that lays your golden eggs my friend. You of all people should encourage people to buy Windows PCs so that you can stay in business and make money!

Cheers
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt

You are killing the goose that lays your golden eggs my friend. You of all people should encourage people to buy Windows PCs so that you can stay in business and make money!

Cheers

Now there's a plan for early retirement.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I was ROFL when I heard about that battery thing.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt

Cheers

I did that with a few of my clients--told them to get macs. Thank god I learned my lesson in time, my only business comes from dell users.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

I did that with a few of my clients--told them to get macs. Thank god I learned my lesson in time, my only business comes from dell users.

I did some computer work helping people with their PC's and when I finally convinced people to get Macs, they loved it, and I actually got more business with them because they were a lot more interested in learning how to do stuff in iLife or all the tricks in Mac OS X.