CS 2, slow on Intel iMac...need more ram?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
just got adobe CS 2. I have heard talk that because its running on the new Intel it would run somewhat slow. I don't think I could have waited for CS 3. I only have 512mb would 512 more or even a whole gig help some?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yeah, adding RAM will definitely help.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I have 1.25GB of RAM, and CS2 is only marginally better than when I had 512. 2GB would probably help a little bit, but you will just have to get used to the fact that under Rosetta, CS2 is very slow.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Personally, I end up using CS2 through Parallels (with Windows XP) instead. Since all stuff in there is Intel-native anyway, that winds up being a lot faster.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Personally, I end up using CS2 through Parallels (with Windows XP) instead. Since all stuff in there is Intel-native anyway, that winds up being a lot faster.

Follow up question to you Chucker. If you have CS2 installed on OSX can you share it through parallels as well? Or do you have to install a disc through windows instead. In other words, I won't need to buy 2 copies of photoshop right?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunebug38

Follow up question to you Chucker. If you have CS2 installed on OSX can you share it through parallels as well? Or do you have to install a disc through windows instead. In other words, I won't need to buy 2 copies of photoshop right?

The licenses for Windows and Mac are different. You need to transfer the license if you switch platforms by signing some forms, returning your Mac copy and getting a new Windows copy. This sucks if you have one each of Windows and Mac (via parallels or just different machines). The license allows use on up to two machines, provided they are on the same platform.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I've been wondering about that. Someone is getting an imac for Photoshop, illustrator work etc and I've seen how slow Rosetta can be. At least I know now that Photoshop is usable in Parallels it gives more options because I didn't want to dual boot.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    adobe is not helping the intel macs until next year when cs3 or something.

here

Adobe Contribute 4 Due Soon

On a completely different subject, reliable sources indicated that Adobe is prepping the release of its next Mac application, a major update to its Web site management software, Adobe Contribute.

Due sometime in the next few weeks, Adobe Contribute 4 will remain a PowerPC native application. However, sources say a Universal version will be released around the same time as Creative Suite 3 in the first half of 2007.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunebug38

If you don't have the PC version of PS CS, you need to buy the PC version to do what chucker does.

I'm a PS user, I'll use rosetta for the time being.