Apple releases Boot Camp 1.1 beta

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Tuesday released a significant update to its Boot Camp software, a dual-boot solution designed to allow Intel-based Macs users to also boot and run Microsoft's Windows operating system.

According Apple's Boot Camp Web site, Boot Camp 1.1 beta contains many updates and is intended for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users. The 202MB release is immediately available as a free download.

Among the enhancements in the new version are support for Apple's new Mac Pro and Xserve systems, iSight camera support and right-clicking when pressing the right-hand Apple key on Apple keyboards.

Also new in Boot Camp 1.1 beta is the ability to install Windows XP on any internal disk, support for built-in microphones, improved Apple keyboard support and easier hard disk partitioning through new presets.

Apple recommends that users who installed the initial Boot Camp beta update their Macs to Boot Camp 1.1 beta.

"You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Macintosh Drivers for Windows CD and install the updated software it contains on Windows XP," the company said.

Complete instructions on installation and upgrades are provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the latest Boot Camp 1.1 beta download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is most welcome, big file eh?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Nice to see iSight and right click support. If the beta has this imagine what we'll see with the real product when it ships with Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Sounds good. Wonder why Apple push it with:

Quote:

but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software

Dodgy drivers from the first release? Something to do with Windows (in)security? Just sounds a bit urgent for what you'd think is a pretty one-off install for Intel folks with Tiger and XP.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    ivkivk Posts: 46member
    It doesn't surprise me the size increased. You have to include the nVidia drivers, new ATI drivers, iSight, plus new product support (all models of the macbook/pro, and the mac pro.)

Worked like a charm, now we only need a Apple Remote driver.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I just ripped out the "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP" .exe from deep within the install package, and ran it on a AMD64 X2 machine with an Apple pro keyboard and 23" cinema.

It ran without asking if it was on a Mac -- no fiddling around with LesMSIerables.

the mute works from the keyboard

the volume controls work from the keyboard

the eject key still doesn't work

the cinema on/off and brightness controls work.

INteresting...
  • Reply 6 of 40
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Cool. I think the best thing is that it lets the SATA drives in the Mac Pro actually work at more than 2kbp/s...
  • Reply 7 of 40
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I just don't understand why they don't offer it through SU.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    ivkivk Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

I just don't understand why they don't offer it through SU.

Perhaps because it's beta?
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IVK

Perhaps because it's beta?

If you have it installed, you already know it's beta.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

It could be the size. It is a pretty large file. They may not want those servers clogged up.

They don't offer combined updates that way either, perhaps for the same reason.

This is a major update, and addresses several major issues. The iSight amongst the leading ones.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Screw the iSight, the great thing about this update is the proper sound routing (the driver now switches off internal speakers when you plug in headphones or external speakers). I mean, the iSight is great, but it's much nicer to be able to use the internal mic without getting the feedback from the speakers.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Excellent! Sounds like this is what everyone was waiting for...
  • Reply 13 of 40
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    No, because it evidently doesn't fix Mac Pro SATA by what I'm hearing on the Macrumors forums...
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

No, because it evidently doesn't fix Mac Pro SATA by what I'm hearing on the Macrumors forums...

But above you said it did. Sorry, could you explain this SATA issue to me? What does SATA stand for, and what is the problem with it?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Has Apple ever offered sw updates through SU for other beta products? If they haven't, it could mean that they only use SU for software that is completed. Just an idea.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    First of all I want to say that I'm a really big MacOS fan. I love the OS to bits (no pun intended) but... ,and sorry to sound so JohnDvorak-like, Apple just keeps making things that make me wonder if they ever would sell computers with Microsoft Windows, either as their primary or secondary OS pre-loaded right out of the box.

They have done what I once thought unthinkable... switch to Intel. You could argue that it wasn't the first time they changed processor architectures but still... they keep making moves that, when you line them up, it makes it if not believable, at least possible, that in the future, a long way down the line, they could sell macs with windows.

Still, I'm not saying I think this will happen or that it should happen. I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me that badly if one sad day in the history of computing, it ended up happening. They have all the pieces in place, and their machines are perfectly capable of doing it and boot camp just keeps getting better.

Could we see the day when Apple, in order to broaden their competitive advantage with other PC makers, brokered some deal with Microsoft to include Windows Whatever licenses along with every macintosh? Co-exist with OS X right out of the box? They are, after all, a so-called hardware company.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If it was part of a deal to port Visio, or Exchange Server, or Flight Simulator, etc., to Mac OS, then I could possibly see Apple selling them all. But I think separately, not installed. Actually this Boot Camp thing alone might have MS agreeing to port some of their apps. The more major apps that get on board OS X, the more sales and bigger installed base. Once that happens, then the competition to sell vertical apps will heat up. And that's really the main reason that a lot of folks "need" to keep Winders around even if they don't "want" to. By vertical apps I mean industry-specific management packages like for process control, CAD/CAM, surveillance, photo analysis, church/club/restaurant management, legal office app, medical office apps, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

Has Apple ever offered sw updates through SU for other beta products? If they haven't, it could mean that they only use SU for software that is completed. Just an idea.

They offered Tiger from 10.4.1 through 10.4.7. Just a joke fanboys!
  • Reply 19 of 40
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Does Boot Camp support the installation of Windows Server 2003 and/or Linux? If so, has anyone tried it and is willing to share his experience or link to someone else's?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG

Does Boot Camp support the installation of Windows Server 2003 and/or Linux? If so, has anyone tried it and is willing to share his experience or link to someone else's?

Yes on the Linux part. Go to onmac.net (which I assume and hope most people here know about).