How much is that PM G5 in the window?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
There are still a good number of G5 units floating around at retailers. Now that the MacPro is out, how much would you pay for whatever stock model PM G5 they had on store shelves?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    they are still for sale at all of the usual places and prices only dropped about $100 after the Mac Pro announcement, the G4 powerbooks dropped about 30% when the MBP was announced
  • Reply 2 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple computer products hold their value like no other in the industry. A regular PC is like a car to where the second you take it off the parking lot you immediately loose about 1/5 it's value, and that number increases by about 8% per month afterwards, but an Apple Macintosh may loose $200 after a revision to that product line, and hold that $200 until the next revision of that line. And then they still hold.

Although the demand for a PPC is going to be much less IMHO for obvious reasons and people will probably not pay that kind of money for a EOL PPC processor based unit. You'll still see higher prices on them than you would a PC, but personally I would not pay it. My computing life moves to intel from WWDC forward.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Apple computer products hold their value like no other in the industry. A regular PC is like a car to where the second you take it off the parking lot you immediately loose about 1/5 it's value, and that number increases by about 8% per month afterwards, but an Apple Macintosh may loose $200 after a revision to that product line, and hold that $200 until the next revision of that line. And then they still hold.

Although the demand for a PPC is going to be much less IMHO for obvious reasons and people will probably not pay that kind of money for a EOL PPC processor based unit. You'll still see higher prices on them than you would a PC, but personally I would not pay it. My computing life moves to intel from WWDC forward.

They may not hold the value as much with x86 as they did with ppc. Apple will need come out with new models faster now that they are running on x86 hardware or they will risk falling behind.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

They may not hold the value as much with x86 as they did with ppc. Apple will need come out with new models faster now that they are running on x86 hardware or they will risk falling behind.

I have to disagree based on past history. I don't see this as a reason why they wouldn't hold their value. If you could run OS X on any x86 machine I would, but Macs are still Macs because of the OS, and not so much as they are for their hardware. Even now a Dual 1.8GHz G5's are still commanding high dollar marks over their much newer, and faster x86 counterparts. Even if the Mac is updated more frequently like it was when the G3 was the fastest processor they were still commanding high dollar in resale. I don't think they will update any more often than they did when the G3 was in it's heyday. That was when Motorola, and intel were pitted against each other, and effectively updating at the same time, and it didn't effect the resale value then.