D200/D80; 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF DX VR Lens/18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC AF Zoom Lens

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
For a long time I've been considering getting a D200 with the Nikon D80 Digital Camera with 18-200mm Lens. Now the D80 is pretty affordable so I'm considering that with the 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC AF Zoom Lens instead.

1) What do yall think I should get.

2) What is the difference between the lenses? How do they compare?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    best.

thread title.

ever.

P.S Wrong forum.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

best.

thread title.

ever.

P.S Wrong forum.

Haha. Yea. I also posted in DP review. But you tend to get a lot of convaluted responses there. Nothing straight forward and decisive. Posts at AppleInsider seem to be decisive enough.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If you're young, I'd recommend buying a cheap point-and-shoot and a car. They will be way more fun. If you're already a serious photoghapher, then I guess I can't help you much. But I will say that I'd only go for the more expensive model if it's markedly superior. As with any sort of high end equipment, you'll see marginal return with increasing dollar.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The D80 with the 18-135 DX should be a nice combo.

The only cons are the metering (the one of the 50 D, and not the one of the D70), and the fps speed (half speed compared to the D200).

Image Quality wise, the D80 should be exactly on par with the D200.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

For a long time I've been considering getting a D200 with the Nikon D80 Digital Camera with 18-200mm Lens. Now the D80 is pretty affordable so I'm considering that with the 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC AF Zoom Lens instead.

1) What do yall think I should get.

2) What is the difference between the lenses? How do they compare?

My main question: if you want a single lens to cover all the focal lengths you want to use, WHY get a SLR?? The main selling point of SLR cameras is that you can change lenses in order to get the best quality optics for a certain focal length.

The thing is, different focal lengths require different optical characteristics to achieve optimal quality. For this reason the do-it-all lenses like the ones you're interested in make a compromise on quality. In general, the bigger the focal length range, the bigger the compromise. If you are willing to make this compromise, you might be better of using a camera like this sony

apart from that, with an aperture of 6.3 at 200 mm it is VERY hard to not get blurry pictures due to camera motion in anything other than full sunshine.

If you really do want to transfer to SLR-photography you have to realize that you will only really gain something from that step if you are willing to invest in (save for, in my case ;-) good quality optics, and these are expensive!

So my advice summarized: start with a kit lens and save for an additional zoom lens with a bigger aperture than 6.3 at 200. Look here for reviews of good lenses.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

My main question: if you want a single lens to cover all the focal lengths you want to use, WHY get a SLR?? The main selling point of SLR cameras is that you can change lenses in order to get the best quality optics for a certain focal length.

The thing is, different focal lengths require different optical characteristics to achieve optimal quality. For this reason the do-it-all lenses like the ones you're interested in make a compromise on quality. In general, the bigger the focal length range, the bigger the compromise. If you are willing to make this compromise, you might be better of using a camera like this sony

apart from that, with an aperture of 6.3 at 200 mm it is VERY hard to not get blurry pictures due to camera motion in anything other than full sunshine.

If you really do want to transfer to SLR-photography you have to realize that you will only really gain something from that step if you are willing to invest in (save for, in my case ;-) good quality optics, and these are expensive!

So my advice summarized: start with a kit lens and save for an additional zoom lens with a bigger aperture than 6.3 at 200. Look here for reviews of good lenses.

Simple answer: I am looking to sell my photos. Not as a career. But as a mini business to get in some extra money. I need the advanced features, durability, and more importantly, manual features for an SLR.

Second answer: My dad has a whole bunch of Nikkor F-Series lenses includding fish eye, telephoto, etc, for his old f-series film camrea. If I get a nikon dSLR, I will be able to modify the lenses slightly to make them useable. Therefore. I have many lenses.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Simple answer: I am looking to sell my photos. Not as a career. But as a mini business to get in some extra money. I need the advanced features, durability, and more importantly, manual features for an SLR.

Second answer: My dad has a whole bunch of Nikkor F-Series lenses includding fish eye, telephoto, etc, for his old f-series film camrea. If I get a nikon dSLR, I will be able to modify the lenses slightly to make them useable. Therefore. I have many lenses.

Sounds like a great deal if you can use your dad's lenses on your camera. In that case you could save some money and just buy the body and see which of his lenses you like.

I made the mistake of buying an extra sigma zoom lens (55-200 f4-5.6) with my digital rebel xt which was in hindsight a very bad decision because it was way to slow for me, resulting in very disappointing pictures.

It took me quite some time of self-study and reading to find out what kind of lenses would fit my fotography style.

Still learning new stuff everyday - fascinating hobby!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

Sounds like a great deal if you can use your dad's lenses on your camera. In that case you could save some money and just buy the body and see which of his lenses you like.

I made the mistake of buying an extra sigma zoom lens (55-200 f4-5.6) with my digital rebel xt which was in hindsight a very bad decision because it was way to slow for me, resulting in very disappointing pictures.

It took me quite some time of self-study and reading to find out what kind of lenses would fit my fotography style.

Still learning new stuff everyday - fascinating hobby!

I want just one fully automatic lens, versatile lens, for whatever. Most of the old lenses will only be semi-automatic (for instance, light meetering).