iMac 20" G5 Keeps Going to Sleep...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all, this is very weird.

Anytime I begin to play a game, and during the game play, my Mac will mysteriously go into Sleep Mode. I have no idea why this is happening, but any amount of help would be most helpful.

Specs:

iMac 20" G5 2.0GHz

2 GB RAM

iSight installed

250GB HD (45+ GB free)

10.4.7 installed

Video Card:

Chipset ModeltATY,RV351

TypetDisplay

BustAGP

SlottAGP

VRAM (Total)t128 MB

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Wow, talk about an odd one...

I finally broke down and called AppleCare. Those guys are great!! If you didn't get AppleCare, and can, then go get it right now!!

That being said, the problem was with the Power Management Unit (PMU). The processor was getting so hot that it was causing itself to go to sleep to prevent damage. I found that it was getting, at one point, over 200° F!! However, once I reset the PMU (by literally unplugging the iMac from the back of it for 15 seconds), now I get an average temperature of 152° F. Much better.

I figured I would post this on here, in case of anyone else having the same issue.

Thanks again!!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Glad to here it worked out...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I was about to say that your iMac is probably overheating, and that you should clean out the vents in the back with a Q-tip.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

I was about to say that your iMac is probably overheating, and that you should clean out the vents in the back with a Q-tip.

Well, since I had my machine open at the time, I took compressed air and blew out the insides of that. I have to admit, there was far more dust there than I expected.

Side note, it was fun to pester the dog with the air though!!