Studio spills Apple's iTunes movie store plans

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer has quietly been forming agreements with motion picture studios to deliver full-length feature films through its iTunes Music Store, one studio has let slip.

During a recent Lions Gates quarterly conference call, chief executive officer Jon Feltheimer said the studio had recently completed negotiations with several companies, including Apple.

"We also have digital delivery deals in place with Cinema Now, MovieLink, and iTunes," Feltheimer said, "with upcoming announcements with at least two more major industry players."

When asked by an analyst to provide a timeframe in which to expect the iTunes service launch, studio president Steve Beeks said, "I think most likely some time before the end of the year."

Beeks went on to say, "We know when [Apple is] planning on launching, but since they have not announced it publicly, I do not think it is our place to say anything more about that."

Though one of the smaller studios, Lions Gates specializes in independent films and has been responsible for such flicks as The Punisher, Terminator 2, Natural Born Killers, Dogma and this year's Oscar winner for Best Motion Picture of the Year, Crash.

Word of the Lions Gates slip-up first appeared on paidContent.org. A transcript of studio's recent conference call, which includes the executives' comments, is also available online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This is a slip up on their part, but it's really not news to anyone.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    zubbazubba Posts: 15member
    Who says this is really a slip up? It's minor enough, but you never really know if someone isn't intentionaly leaking bits of information to create a buzz.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zubba

Who says this is really a slip up? It's minor enough, but you never really know if someone isn't intentionaly leaking bits of information to create a buzz.

that does seem like a likely jobs move.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    End of year probably means novemember, which would means ipods in oct to early nov to capitalize on the shopping season.

Goodtimes ahead, I just wonder how they're going to deal with it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    This has controlled leak written all over it. The big boys with the strict NDAs don't talk about something of this magnitude unless they're supposed to.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland

This has controlled leak written all over it. The big boys with the strict NDAs don't talk about something of this magnitude unless they're supposed to.

Like that big boy from ATI who leaked plans for a new iMac (few years ago)? And then got ass hit by the refresh button?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indyslim

Like that big boy from ATI who leaked plans for a new iMac (few years ago)? And then got ass hit by the refresh button?

I thought that was about the Cube release. It was originally going to be a Radeon but it was changed to something else.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

End of year probably means novemember, which would means ipods in oct to early nov to capitalize on the shopping season.

Goodtimes ahead, I just wonder how they're going to deal with it.

I'm almost certain that they will update for the shopping season, I would be surprised if they did not update at least one product, especially with the fifth anniversary of the iPod in October. I think it makes sense to hit that shopping season with freshly updated version of a popular product. Apple did several last year, the nano (Sept), 5G (Oct) and the iMac/iSight G5 (Oct). The iMac released shortly before the season, was updated again only three months later with the Core Duo version.

Whether this leak was controlled or uncontrolled doesn't change my opinion.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    This "leak" was probably intentional, just like when Oppenheimer confirmed that Apple was working on a cell phone.

Why?

Because it keeps consumers waiting.

A few services have beaten Apple out of the gate but consumers will wait if they know that they can expect a superior service in just a short while.

I've been waiting years for an Apple cell phone ; )
  • Reply 10 of 22
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I'm almost certain that they will update for the shopping season, I would be surprised if they did not update at least one product, especially with the fifth anniversary of the iPod in October. I think it makes sense to hit that shopping season with freshly updated version of a popular product. Apple did several last year, the nano (Sept), 5G (Oct) and the iMac/iSight G5 (Oct). The iMac released shortly before the season, was updated again only three months later with the Core Duo version.

Whether this leak was controlled or uncontrolled doesn't change my opinion.

100% agree.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

This "leak" was probably intentional, just like when Oppenheimer confirmed that Apple was working on a cell phone.

Where did Oppenheimer confirm that Apple was working on a cell phone? If you mean his comments on the recent earnings call, there was no confirmation of an Apple cell phone. Apple "not sitting around doing nothing" doesn't necessarily mean they're making a cell phone.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Lion's Gate Films had a deal with iTMS... past tense.

My guess is that Uncle Steve will ATI them. Their chief exec does not understand the nature of the Reality Distortion Field we discuss on a daily basis.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Expect Jobs to be furious and over react by canceling the deal.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Deal is off now. And you can take that to the bank.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indyslim

I'm just saying this one doesn't sound like a screw-up. The analysts know that Apple is coming out with a movie store; I think this was just a little dinner roll to keep then excited about it and let them know that the movies are coming soon.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Nah, Apple's had to scrap too much to get music and movie industry types to buy into their vision. Unlike a parts supplier, it's not as easy to jettisone a large content provider like Lions Gates Films. At least not *yet*.

Note to AppleInsider: It's Lions Gate (not Gates).
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:

Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.

Date the ban will be lifted: 08-15-2006, 03:00 PM

BTW, congrats on being banned.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepkid

Note to AppleInsider: It's Lions Gate (not Gates).

Yeah, don't let Microsoft get too cozy with these content providers at this stage...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Sigh. Well, I'm disappointed. I was hoping the hype was just market analysts talking to each other and convincing themselves that they knew what they were talking about (as so often is the case). I really feel like Apple is allowing these analysts to steer them into this one. If Apple is going ahead with this, I really hope they can find someway to provide value. I just don't see how they can (unless this is in conjunction with an app with the ability to rip HD movies yourself that I've posted about before).

If this is the only movie option Apple provides, Apple may have just jumped the shark.

If this is just one option, then Apple can enter the market and allow it to develop over time.

Count me as extremely skeptical of this working, or being anything like people want it to be. My prediction: if it's video downloads only, people will be disappointed and Apple will get a fair amount of bad press. If it's part of a wider video strategy involving a new app that is essentially an iTunes for videos, then I'll be glad I own some stock.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Amazon will also be jumping into the movie download ring soon. A lot of competition in this space...

http://www.amazon.com/b/002-5415011-...A1IYIN71UJW258