Apple Insider v Apple Nova?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 161
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    'ol StarfleetX... now that's history!
  • Reply 22 of 161
    Sounds like the whole skisim was pretty petty.
  • Reply 23 of 161
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Petty indeed. I have nothing but self disdain for the part I played in it.
  • Reply 24 of 161
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I admit that I've probably spent a total of 3 minutes at Applenova, but I remember when the split happened, and I don't recall anything at all about the political forums. You're right that they didn't like the political forum anyway, but that was incidental, from what I recall.

As I recall, the administrator here and the higher-ups got into a hissy fight over what the board should look like. It was extremely lame, as I remember it, with all kinds of ridiculous drama. But it seems like they've got a nice group over there now, and I'm sorry they took some good folks with them that I miss reading.

Well, I've spent a bit more than 3 mintues at AN, so I can at least give another perspective on it.

Some of us wanted to run the forums ad free. It wasn't going to happen. Some also felt that the forums were being neglected in the face of the front page (which is fine since the forums generate little to no revenue) and weren't happy about that either.

Of course everything happened about as piss poorly as possible, and there was high drama but it seems that's internet life for you.

In the end everyone got their own sandbox.

The politics bit wasn't a reason for a split, but it was a policy change from AI.

An no avatars.
  • Reply 25 of 161
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    People retelling the history always leave out Brad hacking the AI forums and posting as Kasper.

Both sites are pretty boring.
  • Reply 26 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat

People retelling the history always leave out Brad hacking the AI forums and posting as Kasper.

Both sites are pretty boring.

Interesting, in everything that I read, I never heard that Brad did that. This piece of information really puts a twist on things. So was it Brad that went on that banning spree?
  • Reply 27 of 161
    IIRC, Brad got banned without any notice or explanation, so he signed in as Kaspar simply to let people know what was going on. I don't believe that he was ever attempting to "impersonate" Kaspar.

And, the "banning spree" was all Kaspar. People were getting banned just for relaying what happened, as I am doing here.

So if I get banned anytime soon, you'll know why.

• Reply 28 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker

IIRC, Brad got banned without any notice or explanation, so he signed in as Kaspar simply to let people know what was going on. I don't believe that he was ever attempting to "impersonate" Kaspar.

And, the "banning spree" was all Kaspar. People were getting banned just for relaying what happened, as I am doing here.

So if I get banned anytime soon, you'll know why.

Ok I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you, or the lack of you. Thanks for the answer. I find this whole thing extremely interesting. It's really what got me started posting on here. I want to know the WHOLE story. Not just individuals biased opinions, but I'll just have to take what I can get and piece everything together. So far it's been fun.
  • Reply 29 of 161
    It was, and still is, totally pathetic.
  • Reply 30 of 161
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Being Canadian, I value dual citizenship.

(It may come in handy if I ever get trapped in a war zone like PO...I mean...Lebanon.)

I joined AI formally after the Great Blackout, but was lurking when it was still Reality.

I go to both AI and Nova for Mac-related discussions. I think at Nova there's a bit more playfulness, where people don't take their posts (or themselves) so seriously as at AI.

Whenever I feel like rumbling a bit, I put on a flakjacket and head over to Political Outsider.
  • Reply 31 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

Whenever I feel like rumbling a bit, I put on a flakjacket and head over to Political Outsider.

Only a flack jacket? I don't think I would post in there with anything less than a bomb technician's suit.
  • Reply 32 of 161
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

Only a flack jacket? I don't think I would post in there with anything less than a bomb technician's suit.

Oh my no, we of the PO are affable and accommodating to a fault! Everybody's having so much fun! It's a big party right next door!

Come on in! (eyes dart around as hand slips behind back)

That's right...... just one......more......step.....
  • Reply 33 of 161
    Well what does Junkyard Dawg wear then?
  • Reply 34 of 161
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

Sounds like something those AN thirtysomething perpetual frat boys would say.
  • Reply 35 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Well what does Junkyard Dawg wear then?

One of those fine leather jackets you are selling.
  • Reply 36 of 161
    I doubt Junkyard bothers with clothes anymore. Not much point really when you're pretty much permanently engaged in trying to self-fellate.
  • Reply 37 of 161
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester

I doubt Junkyard bothers with clothes anymore. Not much point really when you're pretty much permanently engaged in trying to self-fellate.

You have a good memory CC
  • Reply 38 of 161
    Yay, crazy! How goes taking down the Australian government?
  • Reply 39 of 161
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Sounds like something those AN thirtysomething perpetual frat boys would say.

That's the best characterization I've heard. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you, it's just that a little goes a long way.

Also, I am still completely baffled by Chester's posting pattern. I think she's getting access to a computer for 15 seconds every 23 days.
  • Reply 40 of 161
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

That's the best characterization I've heard. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you, it's just that a little goes a long way.

idk. i took it as a dickish thing to say, atleast imo.

i just kinda get the feeling from some of these posts that theres still kind of a rift tween the forums. i thot that was buried long ago. both got their benefits. for my forum'ing, i mostly post there, with the exception of PO i go here. and since this was on my way, i jumped in here.