WMV on iTunes

becbec
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2014
In Windows, I found that any wmv music file was automatically converted to aac. However, my Mac's iTunes doesn't seem to register I've tried to open a wmv file at all. Are the programs different?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton

Yes they are different. iTunes on Apple doesn't convert WMA files. iTunes on Windows does.

it does, but not automatically
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    iTunes on Mac OS X has no WMA support of its own. You could install QuickTime components to read WindowsMedia files, such as Flip4Mac, and then you could use the files in iTunes and/or convert them.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    becbec Posts: 68member
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just found a wma file that I've been searching for for weeks (why do people not enjoy Celtic music more than the top 40?) and can't listen to it yet, lol. I'll get on that right away!

Edit:

Okay, downloaded and installed, great! Is there a way to play it on iTunes? When I open it it opens with Quicktime. *fiddles*
  • Reply 4 of 9
    EasyWMA. It's sharewate. Try MacUpdate.com or versiontracker.com/macosx.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Does anyone know of a converter that will conver to TO WMA??? My cellphone will only accept WMA files for music ... I just bought a miniSD card for my cellphone and would like to beable to listen to music... However, like I said, I can only transfer WMA files to my phone ... Anyone know of a WMA converter for Mac??

Searched already and found nothing... easyWMA won't convert to WMA... Music Man won't convert to WMA.... I don't know what to do
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bec

Okay, downloaded and installed, great! Is there a way to play it on iTunes? When I open it it opens with Quicktime. *fiddles*

If QuickTime Player can play it, so can iTunes. Just add it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

in the finder right click on it and go to 'get info' then change the 'open with' to itunes
  • Reply 8 of 9

WMV(Windows Media Video) format is Microsoft's proprietary video file format, Apple's Mac OS X system and QuickTime player don't support this format. The built in WMP(Windows Media Player) of Microsoft Windows support this format. Just double click any WMV file and WMP will start playing the video.

If you are not familar with QuickTime, you can download this free player-Faasoft Video Converter to have a try.

It also supports converting WMV to iTunes compatible formats -MP4.