Jobs passes on Apple Expo keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs has no plans to deliver a keynote address at next month's Apple Expo in France, show organizers said on Friday.

In a statement provided to Macworld UK, Reed Expositions spokeswoman Clementine Tisserand confirmed the lack of keynote address at the annual Apple trade show -- the largest of its kind in Europe.

"There will be no keynote at this year's show," she said, adding only that the decision not to offer a keynote was not made by the company she represents.

In the weeks and months leading up to previous Apple Expos, hopes and expectations of an appearance by the charismatic Jobs have often run high amongst the company's faithful. However, the Apple co-founder, for one reason or another, has failed to deliver a keynote address in Paris since 2003

In 2004, Jobs' scheduled keynote presentation was conducted by Apple vice president Phil Schiller after Jobs took leave from his duties at Apple in order to recuperate from pancreatic cancer surgery.

Jobs was also expected to present the opening keynote at last year's Apple Expo, but later changed his plans when several product launches failed to fall into alignment. Instead, Jobs used special media events in September and October to introduce new iPods and the company's fall Mac computer line.

This year's Apple expo is slated to run from September 12 - 16 at Porte De Versailles in Paris, France.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Holy Keynote, Batman!

Is this a first, or has he skipped out before?
  • Reply 2 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    We should just expect, then, that this is now the norm for the Paris expo.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Whoa, what does this mean?

I'm going for lunch, I expect to see some chill rumors conjured up to explain this news when I get back!
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

Whoa, what does this mean?

I'm going for lunch, I expect to see some chill rumors conjured up to explain this news when I get back!

Just chillax, dude.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Wow! So, my guess is either:

a) We won't see any new products announced at the Expo.

-or-

b) Any announcements would be made just prior to the Expo from the US (a week before the Expo would tie in to the "high security shipments due on 9/5" article from AI).

Other guesses?

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 6 of 65
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Holy Keynote, Batman!

I'm pretty sure he's skipped more Paris Expo keynotes than he's delivered since returning to Apple, but I could be mistaken.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga

I'm pretty sure he's skipped more Paris Expo keynotes than he's delivered since returning to Apple, but I could be mistaken.

Yah they released the iMac g5 without him there. He was getting surgery that year for cancer. (2004). I don't think he was there last year was he?

It kinda sucks he only does 2 keynotes a year now. He used to do MWSF, WWDC, MWNY, MWParis... did he ever do MWTokyo?
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Yes he has done MWTokyo several times.

The reason he will not be doing Paris...

Steve: Behold the iTunes Movie store!

Crowd: Ohhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Steve: Oh, and there is one more thing...

Crowd: (on edge of seat)

Steve: Its only available in the good ol' U S of A!
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

That would be quite the bummer if there wasn't anything new to announce other than iTunes Movies.

I know Apple doesn't need an expo to make a product announcement, but the timing for this event seemed right for announcing hardware updates.

We shall see!

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 10 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This should not be a surprise to anyone. He has been limiting his keynotes to the dev conf, and the SFMW for some time.

Did anyone really expect him to change that this year with the problems the company is facing in France? There would have been too many questions that he would have to speak to while making his presentation.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    "Is this a first, or has he skipped out before?" -- SpamSandwich

"Yah they released the iMac g5 without him there. He was getting surgery that year for cancer. (2004). I don't think he was there last year was he?" -- emig647

Jesus people... Read the article... it says that he has skipped out a couple times.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

"Is this a first, or has he skipped out before?" -- SpamSandwich

"Yah they released the iMac g5 without him there. He was getting surgery that year for cancer. (2004). I don't think he was there last year was he?" -- emig647

Jesus people... Read the article... it says that he has skipped out a couple times.

I believe the article has been updated a couple of times since it was posted.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    No Steve keynote means no new "COOL" products at Paris. Simple as that.

Maybe we'll see some hardware updates. that's it.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    It could be that Apple is not ready to announce any new products, either in the Mac or iPod ranges.

On the other hand, it could be that Apple is still rather unimpressed with France over the iTunes situation and this is basically a brush off. If this is the case maybe there will be another opportunity for Apple to put on a Keynote before the holiday buying season, even if Steve J isn't there.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Yes he has done MWTokyo several times.

I agree. Apple doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that they have a U.S.-first strategy. I'm not criticizing the strategy -- hey, I live in the U.S. -- I'm just saying. Given the way music and TV shows went, it's doubtful that movies would be available in Europe at the same time as they debut in the U.S.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

Holy Keynote, Batman!

Way to read the article. I know it was a long one.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave

Quote:

I believe the article has been updated a couple of times since it was posted.

Way to read the comments.

I agree about the US Movie Store being a possible reason for bailing on Paris. Bear in mind that trans-Atlantic flights are all screwed up at the moment because of the recent planned attacks and it may well be in Steve's interest to steer clear of Europe full stop even if he does fly about on a private jet. You can still be grounded. France's nasty policy on iPods and iTMS is also a good controversy to keep away from.

Is it just me or did the autumn 2005 announcements for the iPod nano and iMac with integrated iSight etc. really "just work" when it came to media coverage? They even made the news here in tech-news-desert Britain, when MWSF 2006 barely did and WWDC was a total no show. Maybe Apple are going to aim for a repeat in new gear news events? I can see it making sense from their perspective, even reducing the risks and costs associated with far flung expos.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    If the keynote wasn't cancelled:

I'd favor Bertrand Serlet for the Apple Paris Expo keynote address. Bertrand's French connection seems appropriate for this venue. He performed well at the 2006 WWDC. The European Union may like to see Apple leadership beyond USA centric representatives.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/serlet.html
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave

Way to read the posts. Post # 13 is especially revealing.

EDIT: Fuyutski beat me to it...
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benton

I favor Bertrand Serlet for the Apple Paris Expo keynote address. Bertrand's French connection seems appropriate for this venue. He performed well at the 2006 WWDC. The European Union may like to see Apple leadership beyond USA centric representatives.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/serlet.html

YEAAHH!!! BERTRAND ! BERTRAND !