Jobs passes on Apple Expo keynote

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Knowing a bit of Steve leads me to think of 2 reasons:

1: The french law about drm

2: Nobody liked steve on his last one so here's a surprise for us: no steve this time.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave

Way to read the article. I know it was a long one.

FYI - the original posting of the e-mail was much shorter and did not include much detail. I saw it myself. It was updated after people had already started posting in the forum.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benton

I favor Bertrand Serlet for the Apple Paris Expo keynote address. Bertrand's French connection seems appropriate for this venue. He performed well at the 2006 WWDC. The European Union may like to see Apple leadership beyond USA centric representatives.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/serlet.html

That's all well and good, but the AI article says:
    "There will be no keynote at this year's show," she said, adding only that the decision not to offer a keynote was not made by the company she represents.
    So - no keynote at all.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 24 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland

I agree. Apple doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that they have a U.S.-first strategy. I'm not criticizing the strategy -- hey, I live in the U.S. -- I'm just saying. Given the way music and TV shows went, it's doubtful that movies would be available in Europe at the same time as they debut in the U.S.

Regarding the iTunes thing, it does seem that way. I don't think Apple even has significant blame to this. It is just a practicality measure, the US is their biggest single market by country. The rights to movies and music in the international market delegated to subsidiaries or other entities, often broken down by country, slowing down the process because each entity needs separate negotiations.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Holy Keynote, Batman!

Is this a first, or has he skipped out before?

The answer is in the article.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Did anyone else think the headline said "Jobs passes away" at first? I about crapped a brick.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In 2004, Jobs' scheduled keynote presentation was conducted by Apple vice president Phil Schiller after Jobs took leave from his duties at Apple in order to recuperate from pancreatic cancer surgery.

G5 Pancreas next Tuesday!!!
  • Reply 28 of 65
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA

Did anyone else think the headline said "Jobs passes away" at first? I about crapped a brick.

nope, that was just you....
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

Jesus people... Read the article... it says that he has skipped out a couple times.

As usual, AI has updated the article without noting it.

Come ON guys. If you're going to do this could you at least put a note at the end of the article saying "edited 8:27 to add..." Otherwise EVERY thread has people arguing over things in the article that have changed.

Seriously. Please.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

As usual, AI has updated the article without noting it.

Come ON guys. If you're going to do this could you at least put a note at the end of the article saying "edited 8:27 to add..." Otherwise EVERY thread has people arguing over things in the article that have changed.

Seriously. Please.

They probably only posted half by mistake. Because the time between the update and the original was pretty short...
  • Reply 31 of 65
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    maybe sj will pull a rokr....he's pissed off at the french maybe he'll do something to minimize the french expo.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Maybe nothing really good is going to be released at the Paris Expo.

Or maybe Jobs is bluffing by having some schmuck release some AWESOME product.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    This is just more of Steve taking attention off of himself and helping to refocus it on Apple and its products. It's kind of sad, but ultimately, wise and necessary.

For those of us who eagerly watched everything since his return in '97, be glad you were a party to it all. These changes seem to signify the end of the Apple turnaround and the beginning of the mature Apple-- the company that should have been during the 90s.

Our lil' Apple's growin' up, Ma!
  • Reply 34 of 65
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Just a quick word: Notice how in WWDC Keynote he was trying to "delegate" parts of the Keynote. Steve is on a 5-year handover plan, my pulled-out-of-my-a$$ prediction.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanx27

G5 Pancreas next Tuesday!!!

This is one of the most insensitive but simultaneously most hilarious posts I've seen in the past few years ...More predictions from me: Either there will be new iPods announcement at separate event prior to Paris Expo, or new iPods announcement End of Sep/ first few weeks of Oct. They have to release the new updated iPod range by mid-Oct latest for run-up to Christmas frenzy.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    If we don't see a new MBP by the 12th I'll be surprised.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs has no plans to deliver a keynote address at next month's Apple Expo in France, show organizers said

Of course, Steve Jobs has better things to do than sell his company products to show goers. For instance, he must fight the delisting of Apple Computer shares on the NASDAQ stock exchange, fight criminal fraud charges that could send him to jail for 5 years and fight an FCC order banning him from sitting on any board of directors of a publicly traded company for the next 5 to 10 years following the serving of his 5 year jail sentence.

Indeed, Steve Jobs has far better things to do than to show up at his company annual show for Europe. Why would he show up?
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Back when the Apple retail stores first opened and the whole Macworld NYC/Boston drama was going on, Apple signified that it would shift away from expo-focused announcements to special events (one reason the in-store theatres were offered).

This was because of the high costs associated with expos and because products needed to be introduced when ready, not because a conference loomed. It was also likely a statement of who was boss, after a power struggle with the former coordinators of Macworld.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    So where's the new MacBook Pro announcement gonna be? So I guess the new mbps are going to be launched like the MacBook. There's something for sure since there's some secret shipments coming on Sept. 5th (http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1965)

I'm waiting for the new mbps so I can finally get myself a laptop!!!
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan

Of course, Steve Jobs has better things to do than sell his company products to show goers. For instance, he must fight the delisting of Apple Computer shares on the NASDAQ stock exchange, fight criminal fraud charges that could send him to jail for 5 years and fight an FCC order banning him from sitting on any board of directors of a publicly traded company for the next 5 to 10 years following the serving of his 5 year jail sentence.

Indeed, Steve Jobs has far better things to do than to show up at his company annual show for Europe. Why would he show up?

Ouch! If it ever does come to that, consider the tech world a poorer place. I can't see how Steve could keep ontop of new product development with "family visits" by Ive, Serlet and co. alone ... man that would suck! Expect crisis at Apple and stagnation across the entire industry.

Of course, Steve's smarter than Martha Stewart. If it ever did get out of control, he could do a runner to Taiwan* in Apple's private jet. Being closer to the heart of Apple's production might even do him and the company a little good. Certainly spending more time out of the already healthy Mac market in the US might open his eyes a bit to the need to expand.

*Taiwan isn't recognised as a country by the US or most nations in the world. That's because of Nixon's deal with Beijing in the 1970's that communist China take over Taiwan's seat in the UN. AFAIK getting someone extradited from Taiwan may be very difficult. Even if this is not the case, there are plenty of places to zip off to without extradition treaties if you keep your options open.

But seriously, the chances of any of this happening are PowerBook G5 bad!