Referb Mac Mini only 256 MB RAM

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey Everyone,

I just received my 1.66 Core Duo from Amazon.com referbished warehouse. All is well except according to the system profiler it only has 256 MB of RAM! Would this be a reason for the Mac to be referbished? Or Did I get shorted 256 MB of ram?

In the system profiler it says DIMM0/BANK 0: 256 MB... Status: OK. DIMM1/BANK1 does not show up at all... Would this mean that there is no stick in that slot or could the motherboard be bad? Would the machine even boot with only one 256 stick?

I'm hesitant to take it apart to see what is actually in there since it might lead to troubles if I have to return it...

Thanks!

Doug

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    I did an Apple Hardware Test and there were no errors.

Is it possible that there is still a motherboard problem, faulty memory stick, or lack there of?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It's easy enough to open it up and see how many DIMMs are in it. Video on how to open and install memory is here http://www.macsales.com/clicks/fclick.php?id=99
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    I think I might open it open it up. If there are two DIMMS, swap them and boot the system. If it boots then I know the DIMM slot (motherboard) is bad. If it doesn't boot then I think the actual memory module is bad. If the memory is bad then I'll have to debate keeping it and risking buying some new RAM and giving it a shot (I was planning on upgrading it anyway) or just boxing it up and sending it back (there's a 30 day refund).

When you open the case does it leave any marks around the edge? I'm a little nervous about opening it and finding that the motherboard is actually bad and them giving me a hardtime when I send it back... Advice anyone? Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc

I think I might open it open it up. If there are two DIMMS, swap them and boot the system. If it boots then I know the DIMM slot (motherboard) is bad. If it doesn't boot then I think the actual memory module is bad. If the memory is bad then I'll have to debate keeping it and risking buying some new RAM and giving it a shot (I was planning on upgrading it anyway) or just boxing it up and sending it back (there's a 30 day refund).

When you open the case does it leave any marks around the edge? I'm a little nervous about opening it and finding that the motherboard is actually bad and them giving me a hardtime when I send it back... Advice anyone? Thanks!

Call Apple, tell them what you're seeing and let them make the next step. Why screw around opening it, buying new ram, whatever, if it's under warranty?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I hate to say, but I don't think the MacMini is easy to open at all. First, I didn't have a putty knife in my tool kit. I picked one up and it was to thick, so I had to get another one.

Then you have to pry it open (worrying you will break it or something inside of it the entire time).

I have to be honest, it was pretty hard. I have taken apart a lot of computers, including hard drive installations in powerbooks and macbook pro's. Those were a lot easier than the mini.