Airport Vs Ethernet Conflict

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I connect to my router wirelessly using the built-in Airpot or my iMac G5. I also want to connect to my xbox, using a crossover cable, in order to FTP stuff back and forth between my Mac and xbox. Both connections function correctly individually (i.e. when only one connection is active) but due to the way in which OS X 'orders' your connections, if Airport is at the top of the list my internet connection is fine and the connection to my xbox is broken, and if Ethernet is at the top of the list, file transfers and streaming to the xbox work well yet no internet.

Without buying an extremely long ethernet cable for my xbox to my router or a wifi adapter for my xbox, is there any way that I can get these two connections to work simultaneously. My Mac even has the same IP address on each connection, thinking that ould help, but stiill it does not.

Any advice would be welcomed...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Just had a thought.... what if I shared my airport connection with my xbox, then OS X would have to recognise both connections simultaneously surely?!

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I'm not at home so I can't try this out right now. My apologies if this is incorrect, but it's worth a shot:

I know that if you are connected to a router via ethernet you can share your connection to other devices via airport. In other words your computer becomes a network hub. Maybe there's something similar for sharing an airport connection over ethernet? Try searching in system preferences and the help for "share connection" or something.

Let us know if that works, and in the meantime I'll think about this more...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliot_hook

Just had a thought.... what if I shared my airport connection with my xbox, then OS X would have to recognise both connections simultaneously surely?!

Any thoughts?

haha, you beat me to it...

I can confirm that that works, (however, it's not much use in your situation unless your xbox has wireless, in which case you could just connect to the router...).

But it does prove that it is possible to share the two somehow, which is promising.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yep, almost seems like I've wasted peoples' time reading this, sharing the connection works brilliantly, must make it recognise both connections rather than one over the other
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmmfehmmfe Posts: 79member
    It looks like you have a workable solution but just for future reference...

1) each interface should have its own IP address (and be in a different subnet).

2) only the interface connected to the internet should have a "router" or default gateway entry.

For example: Wireless for internet, Ethernet for LAN connection

Wireless = 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0, gw-192.168.1.1, dns-whatever

Ethernet= 192.168.2.10 255.255.255.0, gw-null

I use this configuration all the time and it works well if configured as above.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Yep, I'm at home now, I see it's just as easy to share over Ethernet as over Airport.

@hmmfe: That's good to now, and I figured that there was no reason it shouldn't work. The order in the Network Ports Configuration dialog is just to determine what is used to connect to the internet, right, and even if something is not first, that port still works? I presume that's why all the configured ports show up on the Network Status pane.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hmmfehmmfe Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

Yep, I'm at home now, I see it's just as easy to share over Ethernet as over Airport.

@hmmfe: That's good to now, and I figured that there was no reason it shouldn't work. The order in the Network Ports Configuration dialog is just to determine what is used to connect to the internet, right, and even if something is not first, that port still works? I presume that's why all the configured ports show up on the Network Status pane.

At the risk of being overly simplistic, the port that is used for internet access is the one that is configured with a default gateway.