Apple updates MacBook, Xsan and Logic software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday evening released software updaters for its MacBook, Logic Express, Logic Pro, Xsan and Xsan Admin products. Descriptions and direct download links for each update follow:

MacBook SMC Firmware Update

MacBook SMC Firmware Update (

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Does anyone notice the MacBook any cooler now?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Must not be for my Mac Book. I have the latest model. The only update I see is for the Express Card slot.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    mydo, if you have an Express Card slot, that's a MacBook Pro. The plain MacBook lacks one.

I wonder if the SMC update might also quietly fix the problems people have had with their MacBooks randomly dropping wireless connections and forgetting they have Airport cards? I'd sure appreciate it!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's good their pumping out these upgrades. Maybe eventually no one will complain about macbook heat....

....that is until it goes MEMRON!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    kansaskansas Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede

Does anyone notice the MacBook any cooler now?

I have the entry level MacBook maxed out with 2GB of RAM. After the firmware update, my MacBook is noticeably cooler. Before the bottom of the case was almost unpleasantly hot. Now it is just moderately warm.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kansas

I have the entry level MacBook maxed out with 2GB of RAM. After the firmware update, my MacBook is noticeably cooler. Before the bottom of the case was almost unpleasantly hot. Now it is just moderately warm.

My Macbook has been in the shop since 8/1 so i can't test this update.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kansas

Excellent! I hope others have similar results.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Unfortunately I have some VERY bad news about the Logic update.

Logic has never been updated for the quad G5 to support more than two cores, even though the machines have been out for a year.

This update gives the Mac Pro full quad core support, but on the G5 quad still only supports two cores.

So despite Apple's promise to support PPC machines for *years*, they've stopped fully supporting the quads within days of completing their intel lineup. This doesn't bode well for PPC support on any apple apps when Apple gives up support parity so quickly.

In addition, Apple has Logic benchmarks posted on their Mac Pro page that use this latest version of Logic. Since the software supports four cores on the Mac Pro but only two on the G5 quad, it obviously calls those benchmarks into question since much of the performance boost will likely be due to the extra core usage and the actual processing gain of the CPU is possibly much less.

So which app will be next?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

It's good their pumping out these upgrades. Maybe eventually no one will complain about macbook heat....

....that is until it goes MEMRON!

i do believe its merom... sorry, had to nit pick
  • Reply 10 of 23
    NICE, my MacBook is defintely cooler running normally and as a bonus it doesn't moo anymore which actually never bothered me only bought my mac book last weekend.

Hooah Apple
  • Reply 11 of 23
    the fan seems to start running at a lower tempurature. no more warn legs, just warmish. i like....
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Yes i have noticed too once i had turned my music off, the fans are running all the time, although only quietly. While I;m writing this and using CoreDuoTemp the fans are running and the temp says 54C. Me like still very quite and cooler.

Also the the left side by the MagSafe is only warm to touch and not hot. Neither is the bottom of the case also very very hot.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    My MacBook has definitely cooled down, with lower average temperatures than before. It didn't even get burning as hot it usually would when merely browsing the net when I watched a DVD this morning. Thumbs up!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    The fact that the MacBook is now running cooler for most makes me happy. Now all i need is Merom in it (wishful thinking) and I can finally replace my iBook G3
  • Reply 15 of 23
    sthiede,

why do you need a Merom? It will only make the book hotter and drain the battery faster. Ok, you get some more performance, but the current MacBook is fast enough. I'd rather trade in some speed for longer battery time.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Copprhead

sthiede,

why do you need a Merom? It will only make the book hotter and drain the battery faster. Ok, you get some more performance, but the current MacBook is fast enough. I'd rather trade in some speed for longer battery time.

maybe so it lasts longer into the future because its a 64bit chip intead of the 32bit the current ones are
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123

maybe so it lasts longer into the future because its a 64bit chip intead of the 32bit the current ones are

Ahh but for a MacBook 64bit is not really needed (not a great deal of performance increase and downside lower battery life and more heat) and plus it will last just as long as a 64bit as this being Apple they will continue to support 32bit for many many years to come since the majority of their computers are 32bit. This can be seen in the next update of Mac OSX since that will support both 32bit and 64bit processors.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    My MacBook is a lot cooler too. I never really had any complaints about the heat before. The only really hot part in my opinion was by the MagSafe connector. I wasn't able to put my hand on that part of my computer for extended periods of time, but with this update I can put my hand there. I am very happy with Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Copprhead

sthiede,

I just want 64 bit so that I don't have to refresh my MacBook so quickly. I like having hardware that will last. You do have a good point though. What benefit does 64 bit have anyways? Will Merom run that much hotter?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan

Ahh but for a MacBook 64bit is not really needed (not a great deal of performance increase and downside lower battery life and more heat) and plus it will last just as long as a 64bit as this being Apple they will continue to support 32bit for many many years to come since the majority of their computers are 32bit. This can be seen in the next update of Mac OSX since that will support both 32bit and 64bit processors.

not needed yet, but eventually things will be dropped. Maybe even before then end of the year all of Apples machines will be 64 bit capable. Its possible in like 3 years PPC wont even be supported anymore, and in 4 to 6 32bit x86 wont be with new products either. Sure if you want a low end macbook to use for the next 5 years, I'm sure youll have no issues, though the resale value will be much lower. Me I'd wait and get the Merom. There is barely a heat of power difference, as the copalints about it are way overblown. a difference of 2 degrees or 5 minutes of power makes no difference to me... when i only have to wait a few months and get the better one at the same price the lesser one would be.