ibook + 23" display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So this is my question, my ibook won't support the huge resolution on the 23" apple display. So if i connect that display to the ibook, will just nothing show up, or will it show the ibooks max resolution? I can't find info about whether or not that display will show a smaller resolution or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Your iBook only has an analog connector, so you'd need a converter, and even then you'd end up with a very mediocre image.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    None of the Apple LCD displays (Except the original 15" Studio display from 1998) support VGA/Analog signals. A VGA to DVI converter might cost almost as much as the screen itself. If you really need something that big, get a Dell screen, as it does have VGA in, but you'll still have the problem of not being able to drive it at full res.

David
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    imacfan is correct about DVI-VGA converters not being worth it.

On the other hand, if you have anything with a VGA input, just run this and you'll get any resolution you want.

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

iBook has screen spanning, and higher than 1024x768 support, but it's turned off by default and unsupported. It's rock solid, I have never seen it fail in any way, nor heard anyone with a Radeon iBook having a problem with it. All that app does is switch it on. It can also be turned on manually by typing a few commands in Open Firmware.

I run a Dell 24" at 1920x1200 alongside the iBook's own screen at 1024x768. The only problem is that the computer cannot stomach fullscreen video at HD resolution (maybe this is for the CPU, maybe for the VRAM, dunno). Therefore I need to switch to smaller resolution such as 1680x1050, watch the video and go back to full res when I'm done. Using the handy menubar docklet you get from System Preferences->Displays, I don't find this to be a hassle. But if it's too much trouble, you could keep the lower res on all the time, even if that eats a little desktop space.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    i don't know why i assumed that it had the right connector for the ibook... Thanks for your replies though, I do appreciate it.