Leopard disk image?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Firstly if my friend had a Leopard disk image, how would he burn to DVD as a working install disk? Can he use Boot Camp to install a Leopard partition, without compromising Tiger and its data?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    What does Boot Camp have to do with anything?

You can burn it to DVD if you have a dual-layer burner, or you can restore it to an empty hard drive partition and boot and install from there.

And yes, you can install to a different partition to avoid impacting your Tiger installation.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Thanks for your help chucker. Care to elaborate on your points about burning and restoring (when you get a chance). The reason I mentioned Boot Camp is because of this article.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Ah, yes. I thought you meant as in using the Boot Camp firmware to boot Leopard; that's only for non-EFI-capable OSes such as Windows.

You could indeed try and use the Boot Camp Assistant to resize a volume, but I should warn that it's a little buggy.

To burn, simply run Disk Utility, drag the image into the sidebar and select burn.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Balls! The disk image wont fit on one of my 4.7GB blank DVD's
  • Reply 5 of 9
    That's why I stressed dual-layer above.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I must pick me up one of those dvd's. How can one tell if a DVD is dual layer? Are the + or - signs related?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Shouldn't this tread be started "If a friend of mine had a disk image..."?

And it sounds to me that if you don't know enough about about disk layers should you really be messing around with your "hypothetical" disk image of Leopard?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bulky Cranium

Shouldn't this tread be started "If a friend of mine had a disk image..."?

And it sounds to me that if you don't know enough about about disk layers should you really be messing around with your "hypothetical" disk image of Leopard?

Maybe I have such a friend, and maybe I dont. I burned my first DVD one month ago, I never had a need to burn to DVD before. I mean my friend told me he never did, at least I think that was what he said. I, I mean he uses an external HD to back up, so never backed up to DVD before. So there never was a need to know anything 'bout single or double layer DVD's, it never affected his life, thus didn't need to know or care of such things. My friend said he has an empty partition waiting, though I'm not entirely sure what that means. My friend does like things that are dual-layer for some reason, so he would love to know how to recognize a dual-layer DVD.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Maybe I have such a friend, and maybe I dont. I burned my first DVD one month ago, I never had a need to burn to DVD before. I mean my friend told me he never did, at least I think that was what he said. I, I mean he uses an external HD to back up, so never backed up to DVD before. So there never was a need to know anything 'bout single or double layer DVD's, it never affected his life, thus didn't need to know or care of such things. My friend said he has an empty partition waiting, though I'm not entirely sure what that means. My friend does like things that are dual-layer for some reason, so he would love to know how to recognize a dual-layer DVD.

Your 'friend' doesn't know enough about burning DVD-DL to attempt to run a pirated BETA OS. Fantastic.

Thread locked.