Let me know what you think of my album... (It's FREE)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hello!

My name is Jan, and I regularly check these forums for Apple related advice etc, but I thought it was time I shared some of my music with you all. I am one half of a duo called Macadamia and we make a large variety of different styles of music, most of which is computer generated.

Check out our website here: http://www.eatmacadamia.com/

And here is the link to our album: http://www.eatmacadamia.com/soundspill.php

I hope you enjoy it, and leave us some feedback if you like, either on our forum, or here, or in the form of buying a t-shirt

Thanks

Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs

Hello!

My name is Jan, and I regularly check these forums for Apple related advice etc, but I thought it was time I shared some of my music with you all. I am one half of a duo called Macadamia and we make a large variety of different styles of music, most of which is computer generated.

Check out our website here: http://www.eatmacadamia.com/

And here is the link to our album: http://www.eatmacadamia.com/soundspill.php

I hope you enjoy it, and leave us some feedback if you like, either on our forum, or here, or in the form of buying a t-shirt

Thanks

Jan

Neat little website. I'll download the album later today and give a listen. {at 24KB it will take a few hours} Hopefully, I can report back tomorrow.

Nice to know that there are other musicians that visit here. Later this summer I will begin posting my stuff. For now though, give a visit to the url below. I played with this guy a few years ago. He writes and sings some odd stuff. Weird words. A lot is recorded live at a local club.

http://www.myspace.com/jamsclipperband*

Paz
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I like the album. It's varied and easy listening. My favorite track so far is "Smile". Thank you for the good music. I think I might get a shirt, I really liked those as well.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    ah very cool

I recommend he puts his stuff on www.last.fm. It's free to do and you get free radio play in their system alongside major artists. We got most of our listener base from last.fm.

Apologies for the slow download, our web server isn't the best in the world

Let me know what you think

Jan
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

I like the album. It's varied and easy listening. My favorite track so far is "Smile". Thank you for the good music. I think I might get a shirt, I really liked those as well.

cool And buying a t-shirt is the only way to go
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Irchs,

Ok, yuk on me the long album download crapped, so I went to myspace and did pull Gorillapox. Wow, it was neat!

It actually made me smile. I'm now intrigued as to whether all your other stuff is as interesting. I will download others, and have a go. Others should do the same.

Loved the drums. Heavy in the bass frequencies, but you did that on purpose.

Hope you enjoy the tune I sent.

Paz
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Sounds very good. BUT.. when something is free, many people get that impression/sense/feeling that is is of less value than it should be. Obviously, lots of creative effort, hard work and valuable time went into making this; after all... anything you put out there has to compete with (the Rolling Stones, Enimen, Madonna, you name it).. and to give it away for nothing is not only inappropriate, but degrades your validity as an artist.

Yes, I downloaded it for free, and as a result, I probably won't listen to it again, as I the "freebie" tag makes me an uneasy feeling that (a) the artist feels the same about it., or maybe even has some reservation about the work... I'm sure it is not the case, but that impression is easy to transmit.

Had I paid $15.95 for this work, I am sure I would enjoy it a lot more, and give it a lot more effort, space and want to get to know the music and artist more: it's a case of "you get what you pay for".. and if its free,,, well.. a freebie isn't quite as "free" as those who advocate "free" music would often have you believe. I would quite willingly send you a check for this recording... as I think everyone else should also.

I understand why people do it.. but (to an extent)it's like shooting yourself in the foot. This music is far more valuable than where you have pitched it.

Just my $0.03
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo

Sounds very good. BUT.. when something is free, many people get that impression/sense/feeling that is is of less value than it should be. Obviously, lots of creative effort, hard work and valuable time went into making this; after all... anything you put out there has to compete with (the Rolling Stones, Enimen, Madonna, you name it).. and to give it away for nothing is not only inappropriate, but degrades your validity as an artist.

Yes, I downloaded it for free, and as a result, I probably won't listen to it again, as I the "freebie" tag makes me an uneasy feeling that (a) the artist feels the same about it., or maybe even has some reservation about the work... I'm sure it is not the case, but that impression is easy to transmit.

Had I paid $15.95 for this work, I am sure I would enjoy it a lot more, and give it a lot more effort, space and want to get to know the music and artist more: it's a case of "you get what you pay for".. and if its free,,, well.. a freebie isn't quite as "free" as those who advocate "free" music would often have you believe. I would quite willingly send you a check for this recording... as I think everyone else should also.

I understand why people do it.. but (to an extent)it's like shooting yourself in the foot. This music is far more valuable than where you have pitched it.

Just my $0.03

what planet do you live on?

i like all music , free or paid for are just the same \
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burningwheel

what planet do you live on?

i like all music , free or paid for are just the same \

I agree. If you really want to pay for it that badly buy a shirt. I'm going to do that. I think that free music is great. It allows students, like me, who don't have much money to get ahold of good music and vary their taste in music. Generally I don't like synthesized music, but I really like the feel of this album.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Since we pay good money for anything else on the planet (not including those who steal or shoplift), why should the hard work of musicians not be rewarded? If you were a landlord, would you rent your property for free? or expect Apple Computer to give away free laptops? Etc, etc, etc. If the artist gives away the fruits of their creative labor, then so be it: that's the artist's decision, and one has to "respect" that... but it only reinforces the concept that the artists most entitled to earn money from music are signed acts which are fortunate enough to be promoted by their label (approximately 1 in 200 recently signed acts are promoted according to the terms of their contract), or long established acts who can get by from publishing royalties on their back catalogs.

The notion that "free downloading is sticking it to the big dinosaur labels" is inaccurate: the artists who have suffered the most are the former legions of very good, 2nd division (not star status) artists, who used to make a pretty decent living at doing what they did best... but now cannot. The same is true for independent, or one stop music retailers: they are going out of business at a fast and furious rate. The music industry (in its current state) is a microcosm of business and society as a whole...consolidation and monopolization... where a smaller and smaller number of exceptionally overpaid elites are consuming all the oxygen... and there's little or nothing left to share between the exponentially increasing numbers on the lower parts of the totem .

I am sure this is a really unpopular and *to be much vilified* viewpoint, especially amongst the legions who take advantage of so-called "free" music... but hey, I say lots of things that are unpopular which get people's hackles up.. but thats just me being frank.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo

Just my $0.03

Hello,

I do see where you are coming from, but we continue to release our material for free 'cause we know that people listen to our music on a regular basis, the site www.last.fm tells us that. It's a small fan base (however Last.fm represents a small portion of people who have downloaded it, statistically speaking :P), but that is the fan base generated from our old EP, and we are hoping our album, which is much better quality song wise, will generate a bigger following. We are considering taking donations for the next album if our following is big enough, on the promise that we buy more software/hardware to create more music with the money If you wanna spend some cash tho, buy a shirt They are very good quality, and a good design imho.

We do hope for a record deal one day, hopefully a rich indie label (V2, richard branson's new one), and that's indie as in not one of the big 4 :P If we get one, sorry, WHEN we get one :P it would be cool to release a story-so-far kinda album with all our free stuff on, but properly mastered. But for now we are trying to create a name for ourselves, a good one hopefully. We are sending our stuff off to radio, labels, and the like, just in case we've written a pop gem or something :P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufusswan

Irchs,

Ok, yuk on me the long album download crapped, so I went to myspace and did pull Gorillapox. Wow, it was neat!

It actually made me smile. I'm now intrigued as to whether all your other stuff is as interesting. I will download others, and have a go. Others should do the same.

Loved the drums. Heavy in the bass frequencies, but you did that on purpose.

Hope you enjoy the tune I sent.

Paz

Shame on the download, I think we need a nice fast mirror from somewhere. I may investigate some kind of torrenting system integrated into the site, with a java applet to make it easy for the n00bies. Cheers for the feedback on Gorillapox too, it's a quirky one All of our stuff has a very quirky twist to it, we tried to avoid standard structures, and all but one track is instrumental

As for your track, we didn't get it in the email? Can you give us a link or something?

And to everyone else, thanks for downloading, and to anyone who hasn't downloaded it yet, feel free to. Share with your friends and tell people about us if you like us

Thanks

Jan
  • Reply 11 of 19
    [QUOTE=irchs

Shame on the download...

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I only have a 24 KB line, so the problem is mine, not your server. I did some work on my MAC homepage and you have an email with a url that might work as a download. Let me know. Contact me at [email protected]

I did get Smile downloaded this morning and it too was pretty dogone neat. I found myself humming counterpoint melodies. Much better mix in the sense that it sounded good when cranked, and it sounded good when at 'easy listen' level so you could talk with friends.

Paz
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Stop being so hostile Sammi Jo, jeez man irchas has taken time and effort to produce good music and to top it off allowing us to listen to it free, seriously what more do you want.

So stop critising the method irchas uses to get his music heard. If you dont have anything nice to say or constructive dont say anything. For new bands and musicians allowing people to listen to their music for free oer the internet is awesome it means they can creat intrest without havening to go to big companies to promote them etc.

Good Job Irchas, nice to see people getting there music out there into the ether.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    whoa guys, lower the handbags, let's not turn this thread into a flamewar.

Jan
  • Reply 14 of 19
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Well, I downloaded the thing from your server in under 30 seconds (using FlashGet), so that ain't half bad (I'm located in Europe, not sure where your server is). I'll make sure to give it listen tomorrow.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Not bad, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but so far so good. Nice production, I'll definitely throw a toon or two onto a mix cd for more critical listening in the car.

Sammi, do you hate buskers too?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Any more takers?

Just a heads up on how its doing. The album has been downloaded 200+ times now, and all feedback has been very positive. We sent it off to the labels and radio stations yesterday, so hopefully we will get a response from that

Thanks

Jan
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Cool legumes. Please keep us posted on how it's recieved. I enjoy the album the more I listen to it. I do have a question, who does the vocals on the tracks that have some?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    The vocals on track 4 is a sample of MF Doom in Vomit. Track 10 is me singing an original lyric
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Nice, now that I've listened to the whole thing, Smile and Hollow Tree are my favorites.