Apple to host event at Photokina

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer is inviting members of the European media to a presentation next month at the Photokina imaging trade show in Germany.

It's the first time Apple will have a presence at the Cologne-based show, which is expected to draw some 160,000 visitors from 140 countries. In addition to its presentation to the media, Apple will also be exhibiting at the event.

"We're happy and proud to be welcoming Apple to Cologne," said Oliver P. Kuhrt, executive VP of Koelnmesse GmbH, the trade show company organizing the event. "It's a company whose innovative, lifestyle-oriented products have attracted a great deal of attention in recent years.

It's believed that Apple may use the event to highlight upcoming enhancements to Aperture, its all-in-one post production tool for photographers.

Photokina runs between September 26 and October 1. Apple's special presentation is scheduled for September 25th, the eve of the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Holy ravioli!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Unholy alliance, Batman!

BTW, isn't it Köln?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer is inviting members of the European media to a presentation next month at the Photokina imaging trade show in Germany.

It's the first time Apple will have a presence at the Cologne-based show, which is expected to draw some 160,000 visitors from 140 countries. In addition to its presentation to the media, Apple will also be exhibiting at the event.

"We're happy and proud to be welcoming Apple to Cologne," said Oliver P. Kuhrt, executive VP of Koelnmesse GmbH, the trade show company organizing the event. "It's a company whose innovative, lifestyle-oriented products have attracted a great deal of attention in recent years.

It's believed that Apple may use the event to highlight upcoming enhancements to Aperture, its all-in-one post production tool for photographers.

Photokina runs between September 26 and October 1. Apple's special presentation is scheduled for September 25th, the eve of the event.

This is a very important event in photography. By far the largest, and held every two years. I went a few times, but it is too large to see the entire thing.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Hmmm. Trying to rescue Aperture, or something new?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    NOTE TO KASPER: There is already a thread dedicated to this. I noticed most of the time you splice on the article and let discussion continue from there...

EDIT: here's the link: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=66000.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I don't think Apple needs to "rescue" Aperture. It is a very capable version 1 piece of software. I think they will release version 2 at this event.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    It's odd. I hear wildly different things at both ends of the spectrum. Some say it is an amazing program and praise Apple's innovation. Others say it was a failure and that's why the man in charge of Aperture was dismissed.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Aperture IS an amazing program. It doesn't need 'rescuing'. 'Re-postioning' maybe. The management of the development process was clearly flawed however.

Ask Melgross, he knows everything.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    From John Gruber at Daring Fireball.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Unholy alliance, Batman!

BTW, isn't it Köln?

It's both.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Yeah, I was expecting some lame joke about cologne, but either way it's pronounced <kern>, right?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Yeah, I was expecting some lame joke about cologne, but either way it's pronounced <kern>, right?

That's just the Anglicized version for those unable to pronounce it.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    ryuryu Posts: 5member
    Looks like France should not have tried to limit iTunes or Steve would be at the Apple Expo in Paris!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ryu

Looks like France should not have tried to limit iTunes or Steve would be at the Apple Expo in Paris!

I'm sure that all parties involved agree that Steve has really taught France a valuable lesson that won't soon be forgotten.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

It's odd. I hear wildly different things at both ends of the spectrum. Some say it is an amazing program and praise Apple's innovation. Others say it was a failure and that's why the man in charge of Aperture was dismissed.

The people who say it's a failure are people who don't get it--or people who have no use for Aperture or Lightroom.

Adobe's Lightroom is a lightweight copy of Aperture, but not nearly as good. Even when finished Lightroom will barely have the same features that Aperture had a year ago. Apple has a huge head start on them.

I can't wait to see what version 1.5 or 2.0 has, assuming it's announced at Photokina.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

The people who say it's a failure are people who don't get it--or people who have no use for Aperture or Lightroom.

Adobe's Lightroom is a lightweight copy of Aperture, but not nearly as good. Even when finished Lightroom will barely have the same features that Aperture had a year ago. Apple has a huge head start on them.

I can't wait to see what version 1.5 or 2.0 has, assuming it's announced at Photokina.

Apple should hire the multi-touch display guy from MIT if they really want to blow some minds.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Apple should hire the multi-touch display guy from MIT if they really want to blow some minds.

Now that would be awesome.

Can you imagine moving images around in the Light Table view on a 24" or 30" monitor?

Or using the Heads Up Display by dragging your finger instead of using a mouse?

Awesome, indeed.

We'd all just need a bottle of Windex and some nappies next to our monitors, though.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Don't they have a patent covering that technology? If so, you'd expect they'd have some prototypes lying around...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi

Don't they have a patent covering that technology? If so, you'd expect they'd have some prototypes lying around...

You don't need a prototype to get a patent....
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

You don't need a prototype to get a patent....

Double-True!?