Top Secret Features (leopard)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
OK -- Here is how this thread is going to work:

Post things in RED that you realisticly THINK will be one of those "Top Secret" Leopard Features. Or in other words, the prediction list.

Post things in BLUE that you HOPE will be a "Top Secret" feature, even if this feature is not likely. Or in other words, the wish list.

For all you wishfull thinkers out there who think their hope for a feature really will be a feature, I suppose you could post in PURPLE

And things you think WON'T be includded in GRAY

Have fun.

1, 2, 3... Go!

I'll bet you in the time it took me to count to three, Vista got delayed again.

Virtualization

Redesigned Finder / UI Overhaul

Resolution Independance

Stickty Widgets (widgets floating on screen without dashboard open

Heavily meta data based Finder

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    ZFS File System addition to HFS+

Resolution Independence

FTP features in the finder

Core Animation UI where you have a 3D view of file/folder hierarchy

Quartz Extreme 2D

Automator 2 beefed up controls. Easy and Pro modes

Core Text- Unified API for font control

Core Data 2

Core Audio Extreme

Core Image/Video 2

Built in Mapping

Built in GPS
  • Reply 2 of 87
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    1. More iPhoto templates

2. More Dashboard widgets

3. A Not-To-Do list

4. iTunes 14.
  • Reply 3 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Automator 2 beefed up controls. Easy and Pro modes

More advanced Applescript integration.

Also something I hope for is Quartz Composer like layout. So you can have many different things happening in parallel, with many results being passed through and events taking in more than one value. To me it's been an obvious step since I played around with Quartz Composer...
  • Reply 4 of 87
    New Finder, with more/better metadata integration.

Updated UI.

Better FTP support in the Finder.

iChat supporting more services.

To finally be able to change system font in System Preferences.
  • Reply 5 of 87
    whats ZFS that hmurchison wants?
  • Reply 6 of 87
    the kid 05

Check this out.

http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/

ZFS meets the needs of a file system for everything from desktops to data centers. Designed with the administrator in mind, ZFS is the only self-healing, self-managing general-purpose file system. It offers:

Simple administration

ZFS automates and consolidates complicated storage administration concepts, reducing administrative overhead by 80 percent.

Provable data integrity

ZFS protects all data with 64-bit checksums that detect and correct silent data corruption

Unlimited scalability

As the world's first 128-bit file system, ZFS offers 16 billion billion times the capacity of 32- or 64-bit systems.

Blazing performance

ZFS is based on a transactional object model that removes most of the traditional constraints on the order of issuing I/Os, which results in huge performance gains.

Apple feel free to add ZFS in 10.5.5
  • Reply 7 of 87
    thats pretty cool, a self fixing file system yes apple include.

this quote is scary though

Quote:

"Populating 128-bit file systems would exceed the quantum limits of earth-based storage. You couldn't fill a 128-bit storage pool without boiling the oceans."

• Reply 8 of 87
    LOL that is scary but that's all you can east seafood right there.

I think ZFS is pretty nice SUN is already using in in this Gonzo storage device they recently announced so it is in production.

Whether or not Apple decides to utilize it depends on how limiting HFS+ regarding where they want to go in the future vs how difficult getting ZFS to boot and meet all the freatures of HFS+.

I'm not filesystem fan but I do like data protection because every decade hard drive expand by a factor of 100x meaning by 2016 we're going to be routinely seeing desktops with 30-50TB storage systems. That's the avg so imagine what corporations will be managing. Petabytes.
  • Reply 9 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull

Also something I hope for is Quartz Composer like layout. So you can have many different things happening in parallel, with many results being passed through and events taking in more than one value. To me it's been an obvious step since I played around with Quartz Composer...

Well, that would be AWESOME!!

When I first heard of automator, I thought of something like QC, even though I had not seen either.

I BELIVE, that something like QC would be included for widgets, at least that's what i heard from a freind...
  • Reply 10 of 87
    eh, the LAST word on file systems? almost. Boil the oceans? What? Why is that a problem? I'd like to direct attention at this time to the book entitled, "Redemption Ark" by Alastair Reynolds. Actually, go read the prequel to that book. Yes, read the whole thing.

Yeah. Sci-Fi is fun. And it tends to predict the future, in a rather generic sort of way.

Why NOT use a planet or planetoid for data storage? Or as a whole computer? *Waves at Douglas*

• Reply 11 of 87
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

eh, the LAST word on file systems? almost. Boil the oceans? What? Why is that a problem? I'd like to direct attention at this time to the book entitled, "Redemption Ark" by Alastair Reynolds. Actually, go read the prequel to that book. Yes, read the whole thing.

Yeah. Sci-Fi is fun. And it tends to predict the future, in a rather generic sort of way.

Why NOT use a planet or planetoid for data storage? Or as a whole computer? *Waves at Douglas*

There is a patent for a system called "radiated information" that is essentially a data storage method where data is bounced between two or more stations to increase storage. Imagine bouncing info between the moons of a planet or between the planets themselves...

As far as quantum entanglement for information storage or transfer, I don't think volume is the issue. If I understand correctly (and I'm not saying I do) the information is destroyed once it's observed, or the act of observing it changes it.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I would like better iCal integration with iMac, so I can view my callanders & edit them on-line from any computer, including a PC (which I have to use at work with a direct link from iMac
  • Reply 13 of 87
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I'd love to have better iCal integration with Cell Phones, Google Calendar and/or iCal online calendar viewing application that edits and saves .ics files (or whatever the iCal exention is).
  • Reply 14 of 87
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Spring-loaded Dock folder

Uhh, its existence is confirmed already.

Seriously:

I'd love to label files within the save dialog.

I'd love to see a better/improved save to PDF function, say, much smaller files.

I'd love to see tabbed Finder windows

Do you guys remember the old classic functionality of dragging

an extension onto the system folder and the extension is put right

into the proper location automatically by the OS?

I'd love to see a similar functionality in Leopard.

I'd love to see/hear some awsome names like "Time Machine".

The name alone is amazing, and tells me a lot about the

ingenious suits, who came up with such an idea.

Hey "Time machine" sounds a lot better than

"restore from date blablabla", does it not?

It is marketing at its best, is it not?

Btw, adding an Empty button inside the new Trash window

is just lame. It is just a concession to long time Windows Users,

if you ask me.
  • Reply 15 of 87
    Does it seem like Apple is slowly moving ICal and Mail into like a PIM type suite (w/ iChat/iSight support)?
  • Reply 16 of 87
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

To finally be able to change system font in System Preferences.

Ew no.
  • Reply 17 of 87
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

Do you guys remember the old classic functionality of dragging

an extension onto the system folder and the extension is put right

into the proper location automatically by the OS?

I'd love to see a similar functionality in Leopard.

HEAR, HEAR....8)
  • Reply 18 of 87
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

Does it seem like Apple is slowly moving ICal and Mail into like a PIM type suite (w/ iChat/iSight support)?

NO! Apple made a point in the keynotes that these programs were better seperate.
  • Reply 19 of 87
    After traveling a lot overseas on business I've learned that not all hotels have high speed internet. What I would love to see is a slower, reduced resolution for iSight chats using the dial up lines that are available in hotel rooms - even when you have to jury rig the connection. It would also appeal to potential customers who live in the country and don't have the ability to get a high speed line, as well as those that want to be able to attach their mobile phone now and then. Sadly, Apple is tending to forget that the world is not all high speed and they are moving away from the potential of this market.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

After traveling a lot overseas on business I've learned that not all hotels have high speed internet. What I would love to see is a slower, reduced resolution for iSight chats using the dial up lines that are available in hotel rooms - even when you have to jury rig the connection. It would also appeal to potential customers who live in the country and don't have the ability to get a high speed line, as well as those that want to be able to attach their mobile phone now and then. Sadly, Apple is tending to forget that the world is not all high speed and they are moving away from the potential of this market.

text chat??