iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I really want a new iMac. What are the odds of something before september?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

Conroe is available from Dell and from other retail stores ... wondering whether it is planned for iMac or Merom still goes into iMac.

There could be few reasons for iMac to stick to merom

1. Runs much cooler

2. Previous owners can upgrade their CPU to merom

3. No need of changing mother board and case design

4. APPLE thinks the days of desktop and laptop CPU performace becoming equal not far away.

5. any other thought?

or they want to make sure every customer gets one when iMac (conroe) released with out all the logistics problems.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    Quote:

Considering there are two weeks left. I would say not great odds. It is ripe time for an update, however I would not put more than a 30% likelihood of it happening BEFORE September. Now, if you said before October I would say it's about a 65% chance.

*Disclosure* only 20% chance I know what the hell I am talking about
  • Reply 3 of 81
    Hmm, I think they might update mini and iMac during expo in France, but hey, what do I know?
  • Reply 4 of 81
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I would say not good but who knows. I am in your boat. I have a G5 20" 1.8 GHz and I want a conroe iMac.

I just wish it was as easy to open as the one I have because I swap HDD's all the time.

I would say before September is unlikely but by the end of October something will give with the iMac (100% sure on that).
  • Reply 5 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

Hmm, I think they might update mini and iMac during expo in France, but hey, what do I know?

Doubt it'll happen in France. My bet is tomorrow or next Tuesday. Why? Pure speculation based on an increased ship time on the iMac's at present -- and that Conroe chips should be in pretty good supply now. No need to wait until Paris when there won't be any form of Keynote made.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Doubt it'll happen in France. My bet is tomorrow or next Tuesday. Why? Pure speculation based on an increased ship time on the iMac's at present -- and that Conroe chips should be in pretty good supply now. No need to wait until Paris when there won't be any form of Keynote made.

I just checked and iMacs are shipping in only 1-2 business days. I know it's frequently just 24 hours, but given the time of year (back-to-school) is it really unreasonable to have a 1-2 business day shipping window? I'd say that's pretty fast. By comparison, a Dell Dimension 9200 with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo won't ship until 9/19!!!

Given that ship time from Dell, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple waited until mid-September to announce the new iMac (just after the Nano rebate is over).

Just my guess for tonight. Ask me again later, and I'll tell you why I think Apple can wait until January! Frankly, I'm really hoping Apple updates the iMac before October is out (must buy new machine by then, no matter what).

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 7 of 81
    they wont wait till january thats a no no. MacWorld updated macbooks, iLife 07, and the date for OS X which will be sooner than thought of.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    Putting everything else aside, it's been two weeks since any sort of website update. Apple usually doesn't go more than a month without some kind of homepage refresh... With that in mind would Apple ever do an iMac or Macbook update on the Tuesday after Labor Day?

Then again, August just might be a slow month... I remember last August I was forced to look at the Mighty Mouse for over a month on Apple's homepage. For some reason that sticks out as being one of the longest run homepage in Apple's recent history...

Then the week after the 5th is Apple Expo. I'm truly surprised Jobs passed on a keynote because that would have been my first guess as the first possible time for some kind of Keynote/Intro...

Anyway, just my thoughts/deducing based on Apples frontpage refresh history...
  • Reply 9 of 81
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent

I remember last August I was forced to look at the Mighty Mouse for over a month on Apple's homepage. For some reason that sticks out as being one of the longest run homepage in Apple's recent history...

It wasn't - it just felt like that!

David
  • Reply 10 of 81
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Arrrggghhh.... The waiting and suspense is slowly killing me......
  • Reply 11 of 81
    Does anyone have a similiar view to me in that any plans for a new Imac should hopefully embody some of the adjustable screen features of the earlier 'lampbase' model. (on which I am typing this)

The screen adjustment was just (and is) fantastic whereas the present iMac design follows form (which is great) rather than function. The story at the time of release was that the new model was one rejected by Steve Jobs for the reasons outlined. I guess if the new 'unreleased' Core 2 Duo (and beyond designs) offer additional computing power with lower running temps, we will see fans reduced and maybe one day, eliminated. This will allow slimmer designs in the desktop Imac and maybe the opportunity to restore some function to the unit with adjusability to the screen and also lessen the slightly ugly look of the 'chin' of the current unit.

Anyone new to iMacs, who has not experienced the flexibility of the old iMac screen really missed something.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Yeah I actually miss the old lamp imac design. I think it's bettter then the current one even if Ididn't like it at first. I remember Steve Jobs at the keynote talking about how they didn't just want to glob the computer onto the back of the monitor, and then they turned around and did just that with the current imac design. The other one wasn't really any bigger overall and has a nice floating presence. But I don't think they'll ever go back because I'm sure they'll see it as taking a step backwards rather then forward. Which I don't think it really is, but even so.

As for the keynote, he just did one this month. I don't think it's any surprise he doesn't want to do one a month later. Too soon. How much more would there be to report besides new hardware? Which probably means the new hardware isn't going to be anything more then just speed bumps. Otherwise he probably would have introduced new designs at the WWDC .But I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see the macbook pros go black and white, though I'm sure they won't.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    So, given:

1. No keynote at the Paris Expo.

2. Apple announcement at Photokina on 9/25 (Aperture related is the assumption).

3. Intel is having supply problems.

4. Apple is having seasonal supply issues on the MB.

Do people still think an anouncement on the iMac is still forthcoming in September, or are people starting to think that we may be on pins and needles until October (or later)?

Just curious?

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 14 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO

So, given:

1. No keynote at the Paris Expo.

2. Apple announcement at Photokina on 9/25 (Aperture related is the assumption).

3. Intel is having supply problems.

4. Apple is having seasonal supply issues on the MB.

Do people still think an anouncement on the iMac is still forthcoming in September, or are people starting to think that we may be on pins and needles until October (or later)?

Just curious?

--DotComCTO

I still think a September announcement is possible. But right now I think the only thing that would hinder that would be the Intel supply problems. If Apple annoucnes the product, I think they'll want to be able to ship it next day as was the Mac Pro. I know they annoucned the first Intel products back in Jan and then shipped them a month+ later, but based on the Mac Pro I think their going to want to be able to hit the ground running when the switch to Core 2 Duo happens.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    You would think it would have to be September, because you gotta figure that October will be about new iPods, etc. OTOH, given the recent announcments, it feels like a new iMac could be very far away.

I hate the waiting game. The idea of buying a piece of hardware that I know will be upgraded real soon now makes me nuts.

DotComCTO
  • Reply 16 of 81
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    If you need it now, buy it now. It'll still be a good computer after the update.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bestgolfer

Does anyone have a similiar view to me in that any plans for a new Imac should hopefully embody some of the adjustable screen features of the earlier 'lampbase' model. (on which I am typing this)

Hopefully not.

Nice feature.

I really was amazed when it came out.

But like every gimmick and although the better proportioned but screaming expensive 17" version of summer 2002 came out, I got bored within a year.

It had to much added complexity without much added functionality.

Quote:

The screen adjustment was just (and is) fantastic whereas the present iMac design follows form (which is great) rather than function.

What's not functional about the current iMac?

You mean a chrome Apple is functional?

Even the much whinned chin has a function.

If you've ever seen one and looked more than 5 seconds at it, you would have known that the current iMac is almost the perfect AIO.

Why are most hightech geeks so f$%king conservative?

Everything new is boohood and whinned about.
    Quote:

The story at the time of release was that the new model was one rejected by Steve Jobs for the reasons outlined.

Bullshit.

What do you think a 15" iMac would have looked like if the wanted to put everything behind the screen?

Try to imagine.

Steve Jobs wanted a kind of screen on a stick.

The iMacG4 as we know it, was the best solution that was technologically possible at that time. They came up with a rounded Cube with a stick and a screen on it. Not a real bigdeal: a rather large base with a tiny screen. (and 2.5 years later people started whinning about a dissproportional chin )

When larger screens became more affordable and the technology evolved, Apple was eventually able to make the iMac like it should be... Albeit the highly whinned chin.
    Quote:

I guess if the new 'unreleased' Core 2 Duo (and beyond designs) offer additional computing power with lower running temps, we will see fans reduced and maybe one day, eliminated. This will allow slimmer designs in the desktop Imac and maybe the opportunity to restore some function to the unit with adjusability to the screen and also lessen the slightly ugly look of the 'chin' of the current unit.

Actually the so called "slightly ugly chin" grows on you in time.

And after a while when you look at an ACD you'll conclude that something is missing. It doesn't look... balanced.
    Quote:

Anyone new to iMacs, who has not experienced the flexibility of the old iMac screen really missed something.

I experienced both and the iMacG4 won't be missed.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

If you need it now, buy it now. It'll still be a good computer after the update.

It just goes against my better technology judgement. Yes, I know, I can play the waiting game forever - there's always a better model somewhere down the road; however, in this case, with Core 2 on the market already, it seems crazy to make a purchase now.

Curses!

DotComCTO
  • Reply 19 of 81
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    iBought the iMac G5 w/ iSight the day it came out. Figured i was set since that was the 2nd update in an incredibly short period of time. Then the Intel iMac announcement came and I felt a little robbed.

The thing still kicks ass and I love it. Couldn't care less if it's Intel or not at this point.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

iBought the iMac G5 w/ iSight the day it came out. Figured i was set since that was the 2nd update in an incredibly short period of time. Then the Intel iMac announcement came and I felt a little robbed.

The thing still kicks ass and I love it. Couldn't care less if it's Intel or not at this point.

Well, I think people buying a well configured iMac today are in a better position since Intel is the long-term plan. I also get the funny feeling that the move to Core 2 Duo in an iMac may only provide a nice incremental improvement (with the added bonus of a 64-bit architecture). So, I half think that buying an iMac today isn't such a bad proposition at all. OTOH...there's that little guy over my shoulder that says that Apple may yet surprise us with more than just a chip update in the iMac. So I feel compelled to continue to play the waiting game.

Still - I'm wondering whether people are still realistically thinking we'll see an iMac update in September.

--DotComCTO