Help with Mail

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Im still learning OSX and im starting to like it. One problem I have is with mail. It doesnt do anything. Is mail supposed to get my mail from [email protected] or can I program it to get my yahoo mail? At school we use Windows, and Novell. Students use web based email, while teachers use a version of GroupWise. Is it possible to get my [email protected] email to go to Mail? Basicaly what I need to know is, how do I go anything to work with mail? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nascarnate326

Im still learning OSX and im starting to like it. One problem I have is with mail. It doesnt do anything. Is mail supposed to get my mail from [email protected] or can I program it to get my yahoo mail? At school we use Windows, and Novell. Students use web based email, while teachers use a version of GroupWise. Is it possible to get my [email protected] email to go to Mail? Basicaly what I need to know is, how do I go anything to work with mail? Thanks.

I found this info on the www.gvsu.edu website:

Student Information @

Computing & Technology Support

~ Computing & Technology Support Helpdesk ~

616 331-2101 or [email protected]

Regular Hours M - Th 7:30 - 7:30

F- 7:30 - 5:30

When classes are not in session M - F 7:30 - 5:30

The Helpdesk provides assistance to Faculty, Staff and Students

or navigate to this webpage:

http://www.gvsu.edu/it/student/index...C9820096DB803A

it is a tutorial on how to setup Outlook Express to fetch and send mail. Mail.app can function as a POP or IMAP client (both are standard formats that function cross platform) just like outlook express.

Once you open mail.app and open preferences under the "mail" pull-down menu. From there click on the "accounts' button and then add an account by pressing the "+" in the bottom left of the window. Using the info from your school's website, fill in the appropriate boxes for pop3 server and outgoing (SMTP) server, username and password. Your IT guys at your school should be able to help out too even though there seems to be no Mac support specifically stated.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thank you so much. I added something but im positive its not working. Ill try what you said. I called the tech support yesterday, and they said that with out 10.4 it wouldnt work. I think thats BS, and im gonna call again and try and speak to some one different. THANKS!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Well I have got mail to get my email, but i cant send it. Im using smtp.student.gvsu.edu and it says it cant connect. Any ideas? Could it by my end thats not configured properly or gvsu?

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Did you enter your correct userid and password?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    Are you logging on from your school/college? or from home - chances are that the schools smtp server will only allow connections from it's own network. If you're at home you'll need to change it to your isp's server

hth dan
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hitby you were right. Now that im moved in, it works but wouldnt work at home on my sbc, i mean att. Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    no problem mate, enjoy yer semester