Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Thursday recalled 1.8 million notebook batteries used in its previous generation iBook and PowerBook G4 notebooks because they pose a fire hazard.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company said it has received nine reports of batteries overheating, including two reports of minor burns. While there have been some reports of minor property damage, Apple said no serious injuries have been reported.

The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries include cells manufactured by Sony and were sold with the company's 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4 notebooks between October 2003 and August 2006.

Apple's recall comes just weeks after Dell said it was recalling 4.1 million of its own notebook batteries, which similarly featured cells built by Sony.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Apple's recall covers 1.1 million battery packs sold in the United States and some 700,000 additional units sold abroad. The batteries were manufactured in Japan, Taiwan and China.

"Consumers should stop using the recalled batteries immediately and contact Apple to arrange for a replacement battery, free of charge," Apple said. "After removing the recalled battery from their iBook or PowerBook, consumers should plug in the AC adapter to power the computer until a replacement battery arrives."

Affected customers can contact Apple at (800) 275-2273 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. CT Monday through Sunday or log on to Apple’s Web site to check the battery’s serial number and request a replacement battery.

In a separate announcement on Thursday, the CPSC said batteries being sold with Apple's current line of 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks have been cleared and do not pose any risks to customers.

Sony is estimating the overall cost in supporting Apple and Dell's battery recall program at 20 billion yen to 30 billion yen, or $172.1 million to $258.1 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    My battery serial is just before the target range and part of me wishes that they were liberal in the ones recalled. But then again, one could send back a perfectly good battery for a dud. Prickly.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    timmmytimmmy Posts: 69member
    There is a discrepancy between the 12 Inch iBook G4 battery serial number ranges given by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and the ones given by Apple...

CPSC lists a range of 6C510 through 6C626

Apple lists a range of 6C519 through 6C552
  • Reply 3 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd hate to be a Sony stockholder.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that October 03 was when the 1 Ghz 12" came out? In any event, I bought my 12" in September, so I guess I wouldn't have been covered even if I still had my OEM battery.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    I wonder why the 14" iBook batteries aren't being recalled.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    My old PowerBook which belongs to my mom is officially under the recall. 3K516 model.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

My old PowerBook which belongs to my mom is officially under the recall. 3K516 model.

Awesome! Tell her I said hi!
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Oneof
  • Reply 9 of 63
    One of my two batteries for my 15" PowerBook G4 falls under the recall, so I'm going to send it back. The only problem is, I can't get at the web site at Apple. It just keeps telling me it failed to load because it cannot establish a secure connection!

Is their site just swamped, or is this some other issue? Can anyone else get to it?
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

ROTFLMAO!
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjuchter

One of my two batteries for my 15" PowerBook G4 falls under the recall, so I'm going to send it back. The only problem is, I can't get at the web site at Apple. It just keeps telling me it failed to load because it cannot establish a secure connection!

Is their site just swamped, or is this some other issue? Can anyone else get to it?

Try again later this evening. Thank you for participating. Have a nice day.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i've got a recalled battery now too. this seems to basically extend their previous recall to include also the first 1ghz ibooks manufactured from march 2004 (+ some powerbooks). FYI my 12" was bought in august '04 as a refurb, battery serial ZZ419
  • Reply 13 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Warbrain

I wonder why the 14" iBook batteries aren't being recalled.

Because they are different models?
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Because they are different models?

I would assume that there's nothing different between the batteries in the 12" iBook and the 14" iBook. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they got a different company to manufacture them.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I would assume that there's nothing different between the batteries in the 12" iBook and the 14" iBook. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they got a different company to manufacture them.

They're different.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

They're different.

Yes, but different how? The only noticeable difference is the size of the battery between the two models.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

You deserve to be PROUD of that fact.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Yes, but different how? The only noticeable difference is the size of the battery between the two models.

Just the fact that the sizes (and probably charge capacities) are different could mean that they are from different production lines, different factories or manufacturers.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Incidents/Injuries: Apple has received nine reports of batteries overheating, including two reports of minor burns from handling overheated computers and other reports of minor property damage. No serious injuries were reported.

Trust sony to burn Apples customers and blow up their macs (as well as Dells)!

I'm affected! So now thanks to sony I have a bomb in my house!
  • Reply 20 of 63
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

That's FUNNY!!!

Ace!