Poor Pluto.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Pluto is no longer a planet, according to some smart guys who think they know a thing or two about celestial bodies.

Yeah, next thing they're going to say is that Joe Lieberman is no longer a Democrat, I can't get married in Vegas at 4 in the morning, and Katie Couric is no longer on the Today Show.

Oh, wait....

Anyhoo, Pluto, I still love ya'.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Rocky planetoid, we hardly knew ye.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    It was too damn cold over there anyways...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Charon is the hot one.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I'm rather pissed. I mean, you think you know someone. You spend all your life with science, devote all of this emotional energy into the relationship, and then POW, science changes its mind. Pluto, schmuto. This is science's way of saying "I just need some space."
  • Reply 5 of 15
    But lets here it for Ceres!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Mercury's next. It's a slippery slope.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    My astrological horoscope is useless now!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So what does this mean for the dog?

And how are we going to remember them now?

My Very Earnest Mother Just Gave Us Nine ... uh

My Very Earnest Mother Just Gave Us Nachos?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Haha, that was my first thought as well, "what the hell happens to those clever memory phrases"?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    This is one of the things that happens as science collects its definitions.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    This is another thing that happens when scientists need something better to do with their time. Leave Pluto alone, dammit... it's still a planet to me.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The debate isn't simply whether or not Pluto is a planet, it is a question of what a planet is... There are objects in the solar system larger than pluto that are not considered planets.

The definition CANNOT be a list of objects we consider planets...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    There are in fact object larger than Pluto that are not considered planets.. they're either asteroids or stars. Trust me, Pluto is a planet.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Anyone been there to check it out? Just a cold lump of rock, sort of like the guy sitting next to the door at the library. Hate to be a school kid and have a textbook that was just outdated before school started.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Doll

There are in fact object larger than Pluto that are not considered planets.. they're either asteroids or stars. Trust me, Pluto is a planet.

If you actually read Hardeharhar's post, you'd notice he said "in our solar system". There is one star, eight planets, several moons of said planets, and a bunch of what are now known as either "dwarf planets" and asteroids.

As a student of natural science (chemistry), I'm all for getting rid of historic cruft. Goodness knows there's enough of it in the sciences from when we didn't know any better.

Har's also right when he says a definition can't be a list. Science doesn't work that way, specific criteria is a double-edge sword, and Pluto doesn't make the cut.