Deleting software

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Kind of a simple question, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'm selling my computer and I want erase all the information and software on my mac so when you boot it up for the first time it forces you configure it from startup.

I could probably try to do this myself without help, but I want to do this right since I have never done it before. If someone can give me steps on the best way to do this it would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

(I hope it's not as easy as starting up from the Mac OS CD and just choosing erase hard disk...) \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Kind of a simple question, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'm selling my computer and I want erase all the information and software on my mac so when you boot it up for the first time it forces you configure it from startup.

I could probably try to do this myself without help, but I want to do this right since I have never done it before. If someone can give me steps on the best way to do this it would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

(I hope it's not as easy as starting up from the Mac OS CD and just choosing erase hard disk...) \

Boot from your osx cd. As soon as you get the apple menu, it should have either open disc utility OR launch disc utility. Highlight the drive in the left column, and select the 'erase' tab on the right. Secure erase can be selected with the button 'security options'. Takes quite some time to format.

easy huh?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tag Me Back

Boot from your osx cd. As soon as you get the apple menu, it should have either open disc utility OR launch disc utility. Highlight the drive in the left column, and select the 'erase' tab on the right. Secure erase can be selected with the button 'security options'. Takes quite some time to format.

easy huh?

Just to add to that, after erasing the hard disk you can install OS X and then shut down when the files are done copying, before the first startup when you configure names and stuff. Then the computer will be in the same condition as a new mac that you buy from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    meelash speaketh the Truth.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

meelash speaketh the Truth.

Thanks guys. I figured it was something to that extent but I've never done it before. You gusy are the best...