myphotobook v Apple photobook

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

I've printed a few iphoto books, and I can't say I'm that impressed with the quality. I've already checked the .plist file to make sure the target dpi is set to 300, and I'm still surprised that a photobook of 24 pages and 100 photos can be compressed into a 23MB pdf file.

As such, I thought I'd print the same book using myphotobook software. Only thing is, it crashes everytime I choose an iphoto folder or a desktop folder with the 100 jpgs in it. I have a G5 isight iMac running 10.4.7, and I've repaired permissions.

Anybody have any joy with this software, or is there something else I can use in the UK?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Obviously the 85 people who viewed my original message couldn't help. Oh well.

Anyway, since myphotobook.com kept crashing, I looked for another alternative to iPhoto and found photobox.co.uk. It has a slightly different concept, whereby you first have to upload all your pictures, full resolution, to their servers. Then you create a book online. Like iPhoto there are a few themes to choose from.

However, it is not a great composition system. Whenever you put a photo into a book the photo is 'ticked' in the source album. If you change your mind and remove it from the book, the 'tick' remains. As such, it becomes hard to keep track of which photos are in the book, and which aren't.

The system also froze several times, forcing a restart, but since I was saving the book as I went along I never lost too much work.

However, the bottom line is the print quality. A book has been ordered, and I'm looking forward to comparing to the iPhoto book.

Cheers,

David
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I am currently waiting for a photobook I ordered from aperture. Will post my impression once I have received it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Probably bad form to keep resurrecting my thread, but hey, 201 views might mean some will be interested in the results

I received the photobook from photobox.co.uk. I used pretty much the same photos as the last Mac photobook in order to make a true comparison, and the bottom line is that in terms of print resolution there was no noticable difference. The dimensions of the book were the same, too.

There is a slight difference in the colouring, but nothing to my eye that was a problem. Both were very similar to the appearance on-screen.

I have to admit I prefer the photobox front cover where there is a hole cut into it, showing an underlying photo. The photos stuck on the cover of the Mac books tend to peel.

So, decision made - Mac photo books from now on.

Cheers,

David

PS unless someone out there tells me an even better service is available.......