20" imac fully loaded

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just purchased a new 20" imac that I maxed out all of my options. 2G ram, 500GB HD, better video card, the works. I am waiting for it to be assembled and sent out. I was a former PC user and just want to get more excited about my new investment. It was a large investment for me. Just want to hear from other imac owners about what they love about he imac, or from former PC users who want to tell me why a mac is going to be better.

A little nervous about having made a mistake. What do you all say?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zybala

I just purchased a new 20" imac that I maxed out all of my options. 2G ram, 500GB HD, better video card, the works. I am waiting for it to be assembled and sent out. I was a former PC user and just want to get more excited about my new investment. It was a large investment for me. Just want to hear from other imac owners about what they love about he imac, or from former PC users who want to tell me why a mac is going to be better.

As a recent switcher having this very machine (well except for the 500 GB harddisk) I can congratulate you! It is fast and it is great! I love Front Row and the remote and use it a lot for photography (aperture user). I can only say I am very happy with it. Oh, I also have windows on it through both bootcamp (for games) and parallels (for some work-related software and photoshop).

I would say though that you could have saved a LOT of money if you would purchase the ram elsewhere....
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

I would say though that you could have saved a LOT of money if you would purchase the ram elsewhere....

Second that. I've just taken delivery of 2Gb from Crucial for my iMac at a fraction of the cost it would've cost had I bought it from Apple. It's sitting on my desk next to me here at work and I can't wait to get home and get it in the machine. I've started using Parallels and find it slows down the machine a bit with only 1Gb.

That said, I did make the mistake of buying 1Gb from Apple with the iMac back in January, still I'm thinking of buying a MacBook and as I understand it I can stick the old iMac memory in there and just get the standard memory from Apple.

But, you're going to love the iMac. It was my first machine too, haven't regretted buying it once.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rbf817rbf817 Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zybala

I had a G5 imac 17" for about a year before moving to a macbook and it was the most painless computer to own ever. They are really great machines and the Core Duo is a good step up over the G5. You wont get any virus or slowdown probs. Let us know how you get on...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Maxing out the ram was an excellent idea; some low end macs ship with 512MB ram which is much too little. I think you're in for a very pleasant experience. What made you want to switch? Have you used OS X?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have never used any apple equiptment before, at least since the apple IIe in elementary school. Mostly played with Logo. When I was in college I did a little analog video editing and would love to get into digital editing now. I am a school teacher and cant really afford the mac pro so I thought this was a good place to start until I really get into editing and the power requires a major upgrade.

I have bought 4 pc's in the last 10 years and when my last system died, my wife and I started looking for a new computer. I was looking at PC stuff and I found that dell was installing intel chips. I talked with many people about what they use and I did not find one unsatisfied mac user. Many PC people had strong opinions against macs but didn't really have any great reason why not to get a mac excepts saying "they suck". When my techie friend who does IT for a major university told me that he just switched all of his equiptment over to apple within the last year, I was sold. But now I am waiting for it to be configured and delivered. It should be here on the 30th.

anxiously waiting!!!