OS X 10.2 on Rev A iBook for iPhoto???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My Mom and Dad are happy users for the past 3 years of a Rev A. iBook with 288 MB Ram and a paltry 3 GB HD. My Dad has now become interested in getting a digital camera but has been a little hesitant due to the perceived complexity of downloading the pictures from the camera. I am a Windows user (free computers what can I say) but I do like the Mac platform. My question is this.

Should I upgrade my parents to OS X 10.2??? I know iPhoto is about idiot proof and would be great for them. Will 10.2 be slower than molasses and not look right on 800x600 resolution? Any options for good basic photo software for OS 9.2 if they stick with that? What about the option of upgrading their HD? How much of a pain in the neck would that be?

Basically any advice on what to do to help my Dad get more high tech would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by maui2k3:

<strong>My question is this.

Should I upgrade my parents to OS X 10.2??? I know iPhoto is about idiot proof and would be great for them. Will 10.2 be slower than molasses and not look right on 800x600 resolution? Any options for good basic photo software for OS 9.2 if they stick with that? What about the option of upgrading their HD? How much of a pain in the neck would that be?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

One option would be to stick with OS 9 if that's what they're comfortable with and just use the software supplied with the camera. Most come with basic downloading, viewing and manipulation software for both Windows and the Mac (OS 9), just make sure of this before they buy the camera. For more advanced photo manipulation, Photoshop Elements would be a good choice, if it's not already supplied with the camera.

I've heard upgrading the hard drive in iBooks is difficult and not recommended, even by Apple authorised service technicians (I'm not sure if this is true for all revisions though).

OS X would be relatively slow and eat up more disk space.

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the info. I am very hesitant to put OS X on a 300 MHz iBook with only 3 GB HD space even though it has 288 MB RAM. Do you or does anyone have any recommendations on digital cameras that do have good/easy to use photo software (OS 9) in the ~$300 price range? Personally I would choose the camera first and do not care about the software. However, my parents are novices at best and I just want to make the best recommendation as I can.

Thanks again for your advice.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    iPhoto will run fine on that computer and 10.2

Your biggest problem would be the small hard drive ... osX uses more space than os9 and you'll have both installed unless you think you'll never run Classic(os9) apps... and of course, photos will take up space rapidly...