Clunky-looking Microsoft Zune player revealed in filing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    HOLY Sh*t!

Look at the 4th picture from the bottom. Check out the size of that beast!

LMAO ROFL

For ms's sake I hope this is not even near the final design. Maybe this is just a functional, proof-of-concept. Please?
  • Reply 22 of 91
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    No, if you look back a month or so you'll see apple have an almost identical room for their mighty mouse photos:

From http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1909
  • Reply 23 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

*blink* You're on your own.

Does anyone else notice the computer it's hooked up to on the bottom pictures?

What is that thing?
  • Reply 24 of 91
    I think those wireless features pose a threat. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Apple needs to advance the iPod, fast. I'm mildly concerned for the future of the iPod, but inter-company competition can only be a good thing for consumers. I am confident that Apple can trounce this; whether they've learned from their mistakes quickly enough to nip this in the bud by accelerating iPod "innovation", only time will tell. </drama>

EDIT: Why does the illustration of the laptop (penultimate picture) have but one trackpad button?
  • Reply 25 of 91
    I like the DJ option... that's pretty cool. iPods would be nice to adopt this feature for AirPort streaming. That would be really cool.

Man, you gotta use two hands to play music from this thing. At least with iPods you can do it all with one hand. That's kind of inconvenient.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    They promise all these features, but you know that they 1) won't be there in the finished product, 2) not work right, or 3) cause the product to be delayed as they attempt to make the features work right.

By the way, it's ugly.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

What is that thing?

Oh, you mean the one in the comic pic?

Aaaahh
  • Reply 28 of 91
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

I think he was joking, at least that's what I thought. I got a good laugh anyhow.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Does anyone else notice the computer it's hooked up to on the bottom pictures?

Yeah, what about it. Looks like a standard Windows laptop, owned by some corporation (I'm guessing that from all the 'property of' and inventory tags on it - it almost makes me think its a gov't computer with as many items it has on it).

And this is NOT the final form factor for the 'Zune'. You mock the stupid thing up first (aka, cheap plastics), then, when you have the look you want, you then work on a final materials list. Second, you'd be stupid to put the actual device in a government document that doesn't need to have the actual device. The FCC only cares about frequency and electrical interference, not "OOh, its got a scroll wheel". Plus, its hard for MS to have a grand-announcemnet event if they stupidly put up pictures month in advance.

And how come it seemed like so many people had been saying that the iPod needs wireless capability, and now it seems like so many are saying, with regards to the Zune, that its a pointless feature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees!

I also like how the dock connector is in the same position and looks relatively the same as the Apple one.

Well, where would you put it, on the back? On the top? The bottom is the only place that makes obvious sense. As for the size, the length is about the same, but the width is a lot thicker. Sort of like the whole case. But, like I said, its not the finished product, so you wouldn't think any part of it would be nice looking.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321

I mean, they still had one-button mice shipping until just a few weeks ago... about a DECADE after the rest of the industry came out with multi-button mice!

I missed this, what multi-button mouse did Apple release? I looked on the Apple site and still only see the mighty mouse list as a faux 2 button mouse.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Look, a MacBook!

At least we know it'll be Mac-compatible, right?
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Killer feature? It's available in shitbrick brown.

Apple's doomed.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Apple's new video iPod should be coming out soon as well. We don't know exactly all the features it will have, but I'd imagine it will put up a good fight against the Zune. Especially if it turns out to be the buttonless full screen video with virtual video scrollwheel.

I think Apple has something up their sleeve.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    That functionality is retarded. The other user can't listen to any song he wants, only the same song you are listening to.

Let's see, if I want to share what I am listening to with others, I have PLENTY OF OPTIONS INCLUDING WIRELESS.

I can put my iPod in the speaker dock.

I can get a stereo miniplug Y connector for $5 and plug in another set of earbuds.

I can use an iTrip and have my friends tune in with a $20 FM radio.

This Zune POS is going to sell for $299 with a 30 Gb hd and a .5" larger screen than the existing iPod with video capability. Just wait until the new iPods come out, they will completely crush Zune.

Oh and by the way, MS has said that they will be rolling the features out in a staggered fashion so who knows when the wireless capabilities will even be released.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    This is it? The rumoured self-proclaimed iPod killer?

Harrharrharrharr
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Microsoft is smart. People love retro, and Zune will remind everyone of the original Gameboy! Big... slow... clunky @$$ piece of $517! bahaha!
  • Reply 37 of 91
    i see too many wires. i think these might be fake, people. it's not a zune, it's a bomb.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    From the article:

Quote:

Once Zune's wireless capabilities are enabled, users will be able to share photos and promotional copies of songs, albums and playlists from other Pyxis users, the documentation states.

"Promotional copies"? Does this have something to do with whatever DRM scheme MS was obliged to accept? I'm assuming that "sharing" means streaming, uncached only and not actually transferring songs, so I wouldn't think there would be any need to cripple even that, but then our friends in the recording industry seem to be capable of almost anything.....

Also, if the apparent size from the images is anywhere near accurate, this will be an interesting test of the oft-debated "between a sub-notebook and pocket size" form factor.

The conventional wisdom is that for something this size to find a market it must offer some functionality that is compelling, i.e, internet appliance hand-writing recognition actual OS thing actual apps thing. You know, a Newton (which this looks to be as big as).

It just seems hard to believe that MS would bring out a straight up music player, wireless feature or no, that was that big. It would be laughed out of the room, I have to assume that, if that really is the size, that they have something more in mind for the Zune than simple MP3/photo/video thing with wireless.

Hey, maybe that's it! This isn't Microsoft's iPod killer, it's their Newton killer! Er.... stay dead-er. Rekiller. Something.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    It's the b*stard child of a 3rd Gen iPod and a Zen Vision:M, plus an M$ Operating System!

They are SO doomed...
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321

I mean, they still had one-button mice shipping until just a few weeks ago... about a DECADE after the rest of the industry came out with multi-button mice!

Uh.. Dude, when Apple first introduced the mouse to the public in 1984, the "rest of the industry" (with mice, that was only Xerox PARC) already had a standard three-button mouse. Apple CHOSE and STILL chooses to use single button mice. It's not like it was some tech. advance and Apple didn't get on board.

In other words, Apple advanced by getting rid of the other two buttons, and the rest of the industry STILL hasn't caught-up..